Site Management > Site Support / Feedback

HTTPS access with Let's Encrypt?

(1/5) > >>

jg18:
I was wondering about the feasibility of having HTTPS as an option (or maybe even requirement?) for accessing the HLP forums and possibly also wiki, maybe even the entire site.

With free digital certificates from Let's Encrypt that are trusted by all major browsers and can be set up to auto-renew as needed (they expire after 90 days), it seems like HTTPS support might be doable.

As for why do it in the first place, I figure that securing Web traffic is generallly A Good Thing, and it ensuress that the content of private boards stays private.

I suppose that using HTTPS could be an option rather than a requirement, although maybe allowing for unencrypted HTTP as an option defeats the purpose of supporting HTTPS?

Speaking of which, is authentication for the forums secure? Is wiki authentication secure?

What say The HLP Powers That Be? And what do other forum users think?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

EDIT: It looks like the site is accessible through HTTPS, however Firefox gives me a warning that not all content is securely transmitted, and clicking on a link seems to take you back to regular HTTP. Also the forums don't appear correctly when using HTTPS (try it to see what I mean).

niffiwan:
https on everything hard-light.net gets my vote

LaineyBugsDaddy:
For what it's worth, I'd like it too.

jg18:
Does anyone else think switching to HTTPS for HLP would be A Good Thing? Would especially appreciate thoughts from an admin.

rev_posix:

--- Quote from: jg18 on January 17, 2017, 10:04:32 pm ---Does anyone else think switching to HTTPS for HLP would be A Good Thing? Would especially appreciate thoughts from an admin.

--- End quote ---
It certainty wouldn't hurt.

It should be doable with the new build that is in progress, but the account 'owner' will need to be determined.  But the bug is in the ear, and once we get closer to going live, we will look at implementing it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version