Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > FS2 Open Coding - The Source Code Project (SCP)

High Res Interfaces?

(1/6) > >>

Axem:
It's almost 20 years since FreeSpace 2 was made and we're still stuck with 1024x768 as our highest interface resolution.

How barbaric.

Sure it upscales, but wouldn't it be nice to have crisp and clear interface art?

High res interface for FSO has always been a bit of a chicken and egg thing. Coders won't work without assets, and who would make assets if they're not going to be used?

When I was making JAD2.22 I had the insane idea to make a completely new interface for it (be sure to play it if you haven't! /shamelessplug). Making it (the interface) wasn't that bad, just tedious and motivation sapping. But I planned ahead. I made it so that one day, if 1080p resolutions ever came to FSO, I would be ready!

And as it happened, coders were just waiting for that one day someone would show up with 1080p res art and stuff might get going.

It just took a year for us to realize this missed connection...

Well, I did need a bit of help which MageKing supplied to help cut up the 1080p interface art correctly. I had a series of batch scripts from Water that would cut things up, but it only worked for 1024. But now, we're all good!

Here is a preliminary test "3_" interface set for the pilot selection screen. I'll begin converting more over the next week or so. The slicer folder has the batch script and base images for the lit and hover button sets. The batch script also has the x,y and width and height of the buttons as part of the call to the graphic magick cropping to make them. So for new button coordinates you can just grab them from there.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FfAq0kTPf3EAur012EFun8xbiqz24kF7

niffiwan:
You beauty!!  :yes: :yes: :yes:

Bryan See:
It's unprecedented...

m!m:
It would probably be a good idea to make this new system based on the aspect ratio of the interface instead of hard-coding "3_" to mean 1080p. This might need a new table to make the file name formats configurable by the modder.

I have a lot of free time now so I guess I could try to implement this :nervous:

Nightmare:
So UI is going to be completely modable like it's been talked sometimes before?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version