Announcements > Getting Started

New player having some trouble

(1/2) > >>

sixstringedmatt:
Hi all-

New player here with some questions/issues I can't figure out.

I've just downloaded FS2 (from GOG) along with the MediaVP and FSO mods through Knossos (0.11.2) and have two problems I was hoping the community could help me with.

1. I don't have the option to "Play" FSO - I can only select "Play" on MediaVP or the Retail. Does that mean my install is corrupt or is FSO already baked into the retail version?

2. I can't for the love of me get my PS3 controller to work with the upgraded mods/through Knossos. If I launch via GOG the gamepad works well enough (missing functionality on some keys). What might be affecting the controller?

3. (BONUS POINTS, as this is somewhat unrelated) GlovePIE doesn't work at all with the PS3 controller. I'd prefer it did, so I can get all the buttons to serve a function since I know this should be a M+K or Joy+K game. I use the controller with SCPToolkit (and is recognized by games like Shadow of Mordor). Anyone getting a PS3 controller to be fully functional?

Many thanks!

Rhymes:
First off,

:welcome:

Glad you could join us. Exit is in the upper right hand corner of your screen (just kidding, there is no exit). Stay out of Political Discussion and General Discussion (there lies madness), and keep using Knossos (seriously, it's the best thing).

I can only speak to the first issue, as I don't play with a controller (frankly I'm surprised the game is even playable that way).

You play using an SCP build on Knossos by selecting an FSO build within the settings of whatever mod you want to play. So, for example, if you want to play with all the visual enhancements of the MediaVPs, you go to the Details menu of the MediaVPs "mod," go to the "FSO settings" in the "Options" dropdown menu, and select the executable for the build you want. FSO doesn't "bake" into retail--it's a separate executable, not a patch for the retail executable.

The Retail FS2 "mod" behaves the same way, and could run on any executable, including FSO builds (although there's not much point without another mod of some kind unless you're just testing code, but you can do it).

mjn.mixael:
I'd like to clarify that Knossos will essentially auto select the most recent build that the selected mod/game is compatible with. You never "play" FSO. Choose a mod or retail and click Play. Knossos will do the rest to make sure you are using the most updated build. If you want to use cutting edge builds, in the settings you can choose to allow Knossos to select Nightlies. Note that these builds often come with bugs or other issues.

Galemp:
I think there's a setting within Knossos that lets you select a joystick. Look at the Settings menu.

sixstringedmatt:
@Ryhmes: thank you on all fronts! I will follow your steps later today and report back if i have trouble.

@mjn.mixael: Thank you - it seems to streamline @Rhymes steps if I wanted to play MediaVP for example, right?

@Galemp: will give it a go. I also posted in reddit and someone let me know the controller codes change from retail to MediaVP and I need to either fix a string in the config file (any idea where I could find that?) or update Knossos - to my understanding I am using the latest built already though.

in all cases, I'll do some poking around and report back later today!

Cheers,
Matt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version