Author Topic: Thanks testers, GF4 people read this  (Read 4584 times)

Offline RandomTiger

Thanks testers, GF4 people read this
Thanks to everyone who tested stuff for me, looks like the code works and doesnt cause any problems for other cards.

For those geforce 4 and 3 users who experienced font corruptions just incase you didnt know Galactic Emperor has a brilliant site that lets you play FS1 through the FS2 engine. This means you can use my exe to play FS1 and avoid the font corruption in that as well. Hoorah.

Also that higher res is just great. Heres the link:

http://www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/hosted/fsport/dloads.html

Offline Inquisitor

Is this the same fix that you posted? Any changes to the final code snippet?
No signature.

Offline RandomTiger

No thats it. Im surpised it doesnt have any affect on other cards. Must be some kind of legacy rounding error or something. Not quite sure if I should check it in yet though (or how for that matter). I have a funny feeling this bug will disappear if the code is upgraded to DX8. Doesnt matter too much. Its such a tiny change.

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
Re: Thanks testers, GF4 people read this
Originally posted by RandomTiger
Thanks to everyone who tested stuff for me, looks like the code works and doesnt cause any problems for other cards.

For those geforce 4 and 3 users who experienced font corruptions just incase you didnt know Galactic Emperor has a brilliant site that lets you play FS1 through the FS2 engine. This means you can use my exe to play FS1 and avoid the font corruption in that as well. Hoorah.

Also that higher res is just great. Heres the link:

http://www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/hosted/fsport/dloads.html

:D
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline Inquisitor

Alrighty, I'll post to the dev list, see if we can integrate this.
No signature.

Goody. I think Milod was having the same problem in the development of Starshatter. I'm not sure what version of DX he's using though.

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but RandomTiger's patch makes the text look awful on my box.  With the 4-line patch reverted to the original, it looks fine.

It has a POS integrated ATI RAGE IIC chipset. :mad:

Don't tell me that it's my own faullt for not testing ;)

I guess this oughta be some kind of configuration parameter... that was Inquisitor's suggestion.
your source code slave

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
Originally posted by penguin
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but RandomTiger's patch makes the text look awful on my box.  With the 4-line patch reverted to the original, it looks fine.

I guess this oughta be some kind of configuration parameter... that was Inquisitor's suggestion.

For the time being, i could quickly make this a commandline option.

like fs2_open.exe -GF4FIX

will activate this
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
:yes:
-C

Offline Inquisitor

Command line sounds good, till we get some kind of video set up wizard :)
No signature.

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
gotta go to work now, will make it when i get home. should be nothing more than a 10 minute fix +compile time to see if it works.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
seems i' m getting A lot of Warnings when doing a release build of the current CVS.

I if this is refering to Unknownplayers comment in ps2net.cpp regarding a compiler tag that i should disable. then to a somewhat novice to C and C++, what compiler tag exactly.

anyway, here are some of the errors

Debug builds generates these two.

E:\NEW_DIR\fs2_open\code\Network\Psnet2.cpp(2622) : warning C4101: 'ret' : unreferenced local variable
e:\new_dir\fs2_open\code\io\swff_lib.cpp(367) : warning C4100: 'lpvRef' : unreferenced formal parameter

Release generates even more

E:\NEW_DIR\fs2_open\code\Io\swff_lib.cpp(367) : warning C4100: 'lpvRef' : unreferenced formal parameter
Timer.cpp
E:\NEW_DIR\fs2_open\code\Io\swff_lib.cpp(340) : warning C4711: function 'SWFF_DestroyAllEffects' selected for automatic inline expansion
E:\NEW_DIR\fs2_open\code\Io\swff_lib.cpp(782) : warning C4702: unreachable code
E:\NEW_DIR\fs2_open\code\Io\swff_lib.cpp(812) : warning C4711: function 'int __cdecl SWFF_WriteRegString(char const *,char const *)' selected for automatic inline expansion
E:\NEW_DIR\fs2_open\code\Io\swff_lib.cpp(812) : warning C4711: function 'int __cdecl SWFF_WriteRegString(char const *,char const *)' selected for automatic inline expansion
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
they're warnings ... nothing to worry about for the most part

The unreferenced parameters are OK; unreachable code is a little more troublesome, but it probably means an "else" was stuck in somewhere that will never be executed...

I don't know what the selected for "automatic inline expansion" means, but it's probably no big deal either.
your source code slave

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
:wtf:
hmm, ok, just did'nt want to implenent that commanline switch, that might get reverted.

had it all implented, and i started getting all these warnings, fearing i really did something bad to my CVS copy. downloaded a fresh copy of CVS, and still got those errors.

but i got a safe copy of the code, so implementing it again.
-------
Done, fs2_open.exe -GF4FIX will now activate random tigers GF4FIX
« Last Edit: August 06, 2002, 07:45:42 pm by 508 »
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline Fry_Day

Just a stupid question I have - Is it case-sensitive (The command-line itself)?

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
no question is to stupid to be asked, yes it is case sensitive, as is everything in C/C++

"ME" is not the same as "me" or "Me" or "mE".

use fs2_open.exe -GF4FIX

and the fix will be activated.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
It might actually be better to have it be all lowercase, to follow the pattern of the other command line options.
-C

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by penguin

Im sorry. But its your own fault for not testing.
Crap.

This is why I made such a big fuss about getting people to test it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2002, 05:38:17 am by 848 »

Offline Inquisitor

And I am sure more things will come out of the code, bug wise, when we release an exe for everyone to fool around with :)
No signature.

Offline RandomTiger

Might have made more sense (given the test results as a whole) to have it on by default with a switch to turn it off. But if we upgrade fs2_opn to DX8 then I suspect this problem will disappear entirely.