Author Topic: NWN 2  (Read 6051 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
it runs like buttered **** on my computer unfortunately, and it doesnt even look that good.

why can i run farcry and titan quest on decent settings and have it look good, but when i play this game it looks bad and plays bad?

edit: also, my roommate insists on me helping him install it when the game's minimum is way above his laptop's specs.  its very sad.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Farcry and Titan Quest don't even have that bad sysreqs. Farcry is a bit older, and Titan Q's minimum was something about 1,8 GHz... For NWN2 it was something like 2 GHz minimum, right?
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Actually, I've been hearing that NWN 2 is disproportionately resource intensive for the quality of its graphics. I don't mind much though; I'm just fine with NWN 1 graphics.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

CPU speed matters not one iota between 1.8 and 2.0GHz. As with nearly all modern titles, it's the GPU that matters most, and specifically how many texture management and shader units it has since NWN2 uses a lot of both. And 1GB RAM is really the practical minimum for it.

Turambar, Prophet the reason for the difference in performance compared to graphical quality is that some developers focus more on gameplay aspects than the efficiency of the rendering engine. In a time-limited development cycle you can focus either on optimization or features, or some balance of both. I think Obsidian's time was well spent for NWN2.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
A jump from 1.8 to 2.0 in GHz is suprisningly noticeable. I noticed it when I clocked from 1.00 to 1.33 GHz. Then I ofcourse got greedy and went for 1.66 GHz, but that's besides the point. 0.33 was enought to make Doom 3 playable, and FarCry smooth and good looking.

Ofcourse it matters little to you since you are a rich bastard with a rig equal to NASA mainframe and I hate you for not giving it to me. :p
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Except the jump between 1.0GHz and 1.33GHz is 33%, and a jump between 1.8 and 2.0 is 10%. It might give you a couple of extra frames per second if your CPU is that much of a bottleneck. But a jump between say a GeForce 6200 and a 6800 - that would probably net you 10x the benefit!

Honestly, I haven't noticed much of a drop in framerates on my laptop when it's operating at 1600MHz and its max at 2100. And I have a pretty meek system - a 64-bit Turion and an X700M graphics card. Shadows seem to cause the biggest problem for me...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I've been playing NWN2 for ~5 days now and I've been enjoying it greatly. A few bugs here and there but nothing game breaking.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
So... is the new US Secretary of Defense the King of Shadows due to similar character motivations?
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm infuriated.. the game takes friggin AGES to install. took me allmsot an hour..and just near the end I got a CRC error! Tried it 3 times, every time hte smae result!
&="I$"?%$I!&#*! Screw this, I'm playing Dark Messiah....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I want to get this game, but can't afford it at the moment. The fun part of the original was multiplayer, especially with high level characters, you could often find your partners by simply tracing back the flying limbs :)

Offline miskat

Alright, I have NWN Platinum (all expacs, no premium modules) and... I don't get it.  How, exactly, is this game NOT geared toward single player?

Sure, it had a (very good, IMO) multiplayer aspect (IF you played with friends... DM included or not included) but, honestly, the selling point was it's player made modules.  The stories players came up with were fantastic and fun to play through.  I've collected something near 2GB worth of player made modules.  And don't forget the premiums, which I've heard are pretty good too.  The first NWN story was pretty hack and slashy, but even then, the second (Shadows of the Undrentide) was very riddle/puzzle based, requireing you to have a more balanced party and a brain--so sayeth my girlfriend, who, unlike myself, played it.

I dunno... just seemed to me that Neverwinter Nights was never about the story included with it, just the editor and module creation aspects.  They were selling a tool that just happened to come with a demonstration of what it could do.

I hope NWN2 is the same way.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
NWN2 unlike NWN1 actually has a campaign, and it's worth playing.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Exactly. NWN1 didn't have any worthwhile campaigns for over a year after it was released, anyway. It's easy to think otherwise with the massive amount of content available now.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
So, I never got around to buying this. I've been plowing through all of Adam Miller's NWN1 modules (Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher/Demon) since school let out and I finally finished Demon last night.
So now that it's been a few months and everyone's had time to finish NWN2, maybe play around with the toolset and some user-made stuff, I ask again: is it good?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yes..it is good.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I have it sitting around, but could never be bothered to push very far into it. It didn't catch my interest, or at least didn't compete with other stuff.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
I'm still in the middle of finishing it. Every single time I start playing I think "Ok, I'll just pick up the main team mates and just have a look how they handle things and finish this quickly"...

... but alas also every single time I notice myself coming back to switch people just to see if some new npc had anything else to say to anyone else... damnit... :p

Great game, really enjoyable if only I could keep myself from wandering around and just go as straight with the plot... damnit...
Habeeb it...

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Well, I CAN'T run NWN2 so if any of you are still timid about trying NWN1 I say go for it but be wared part 2 is kinda boring and the fact you are not the same "hero" but instead start out as an apprentice is kinda stupid since in part 3 you are the "Hero" again and meet a few new/old friends...

Part 3 is the best "dungeon crawl" I have ever played and it was still interesting for about 3 characters worth running through the whole story. After that it's hard to replay it just to see what another new build or class is like cause you honestly can only play the same situations so much before it looses it's freshness...

One a side note I picked up Wyvern's Crown for the jousting (so so), it was short but entertained me, the last dungeon endgame is vastly better than the one preceding it (the fortress).
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)