Author Topic: System Shock 1 Remastered  (Read 2983 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
System Shock 1 Remastered
I wonder If the corridors will make sense now. The original had you getting lost for hours, feeling hopelessly lost at the mercy of an AI with a god-complex.

http://systemshock.com/

They will apparently launch a Kickstarter to fund this. Which gives me bad feeling about it...

Re: System Shock 1 Remastered
The layout of the station seems pretty much the same, which I suppose is okay. I mean it is a remaster. But I would have loved to see an actual cryopod that you came out of not just a texture on a wall. Maybe a little hatch or something on the wall.

I can't wait to hear the remastered music, especially the Engineering deck theme.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Looks ****awesome. I hope SS2 gets a similar treatment (if it turns out as good as it looks).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Looks ****awesome. I hope SS2 gets a similar treatment (if it turns out as good as it looks).

If this is a true remastering of the game, maybe I'll finally play SS1.... which would be fitting, as SS2 is my favourite game ever made.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
They launched their kickstarter. Currently at $400k/$900k with a $1.7m stretch goal.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

Now finally I might get to play this classical gem. I hope they make the same for SS2 as well. Heard quite a lot about it, never played it.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Now finally I might get to play this classical gem. I hope they make the same for SS2 as well. Heard quite a lot about it, never played it.
SS2 doesn't really need it, the first game however has the same kind of stupidly unintuitive and clunky UI and controls Ultima Underworld had.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Well, it felt like a pretty sure thing, but they've met their funding goal now. Not gonna back it though, but I'll probably buy it when/if it's finished instead. There's really no net gain in gifting money on kickstarter to have video games funded, but good on others for being willing to, I guess.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Mikes

I wonder If the corridors will make sense now. The original had you getting lost for hours, feeling hopelessly lost at the mercy of an AI with a god-complex.

http://systemshock.com/

They will apparently launch a Kickstarter to fund this. Which gives me bad feeling about it...

I don't know ... there are Kickstarters and there are Kickstarters.

Gutfeeling tells me this looks more like one of those "Pillars of Eternity" Kickstarters rather than the "OMG where did all the money go 4 years later" kinda kickstarters. :-)

But of course that's just gut feeling ... still, loved how Pillars turned out and this project, unlike many others, also at least appears to have clear focus and a realistic goal.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Oh, right, do try the demo, regardless if you're interested in backing it or not. It's actually not ****.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I don't know ... there are Kickstarters and there are Kickstarters.

Gutfeeling tells me this looks more like one of those "Pillars of Eternity" Kickstarters rather than the "OMG where did all the money go 4 years later" kinda kickstarters. :-)

But of course that's just gut feeling ... still, loved how Pillars turned out and this project, unlike many others, also at least appears to have clear focus and a realistic goal.

It helps that the people doing this are pretty much all Looking Glass Studios (Looking Glass is the company that made the original game) vets. They are professional game designers and developers. Mind you, that's no guarantee (witness Star ****izen), but it helps. It also helps that this is something they really want to do. A lot of people are put off from playing System Shock, even the enhanced edition, because it is SO different from what they're used to, and they're missing a pretty awesome game because of it. And they want to bring a modern version of this to the FPS gaming crowd.

A-and a n-new generation shall kn-now the terror-or that is SHODAN, i-insect.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Mikes

A-and a n-new generation shall kn-now the terror-or that is SHODAN, i-insect.

Shodan hacking the forums!?!?! Wahhhhhhhhhhh RUN!