Author Topic: Wing Commander Campaigns  (Read 3892 times)

Offline jc4jc

• Tap tap tapping
    • http://www.geocities.com/jc84jc00
Wing Commander Campaigns
To tell the truth I am very much new to Wing Commander and I already asked tolwyn this, but other's might want to comment. Will their be any attempt at recreating the campaigns form the original Wing Commander games? I would like to get some background. I saw the Movie, I know, it may not be as accuret ot the games, but it still peaked my intrest.
There is an appointed time for everything...
A time to kill and a time to heal;
A time to tear down and a time to build up...
A Time For War and A Time For Peace.
                                   Eccl. 3:1a, 3, 8b

I say let us strive towards PEACE.
                                    JC4JC

Advanced Weapons modder, and Fred2er, TBL modder (mostly ships and weapons). Baisc-Intermediate Ship modder. Intermediate Ani modder. Basic (not that good) Texture modder.

Stargate: SG-1 Earth's Defence. A TC for FS2. Project Lead. Formerly At VWBB and HLP, now residing at Game-Warden.

The Apocalypse Project. A Homeworld, Homeworld:Catcalysm, Homeworld 2 TC for FS2. Lead Freder. (No longer in Production)
JC 4(For) J(esus) C(hrist)

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Why should we do something that allready exists?
I know that some people would like to have the WC1+2 games replayed with the new engine, but we are more focusing on things that aren't made allready.
Like the Story Psych made...telling a sidestory to WC3.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Why? coz many people would like to? Well I sure would, never playing the kilrathi saga ( yeah, can youi believe it? I played all the WC games - that includes stuff like academy and armada - but not WC1, 2 and 3 :p ), and not being able to, now that it won't run on XP (and that the saga deal is about impossible to get in France ).
SCREW CANON!

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, the answer is quite simple. We don't have the time right
now.

Our main-campaign has over 30 missions (4 are done now), there is
still tons of modelling-work to do,  and than that interface-stuff, not
to mention all those suprises we are planing :D

When we got that finished, than we could think about the older
missions. But I agree with Lars, why making something that
already exist. Besides that, I'm sure after we released, there will be
some followers, who might get interested in the FRED-Editor and
will start redoing the old missions.

I am more interested in what comes next ! Like some WC6 for
example. When Origin died, then we do it by ourself, that's
my opinion, and the possibilities are there  :)  :
(no correct shinemaps yet, sorry)

@Nico: If you are interested in playing the Kilrathi-Saga on XP,
go and check out www.wcnews.com

I'm not sure (cause I don't have XP), but I think it is possible.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Nico

• Venom
yeah, I know, I check the CIC on a dayly basis, pb is, I can't find the kilrathi saga anywhere, and I don't wanna get it of ebay. ( btw, gotta love the last sentence on todays news about your mod... ah, those "everything beside WC sucks" :p
The problem with prophecy in FS2, is that all the nephilim caps have two part side turrets...
Btw, how are capship damage dealth with in your campaign? You have to script every last one of them so they die when you destroy the bridge and engines, must be a pain?
Btw, that panther looks nifty, almost bump mapped on some areas - the "wings" - :) ( wanna see a wasp, tho, my favourite WCP ship, too bad you have it only during interception missions )
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 10:20:43 am by 83 »
SCREW CANON!

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Nephelim Caps are a problem. I'm currently creating some sort
of non-rotational, but still good-looking turrets for them. Unfortunately
you have some losses to take in a TC. (the originally WCP turrets are
wa to big and looked rather stupid).

As for the WCP-Destruction of Capships, that's the greatest
bull**** IMO. Why should a ship explode when the bridge
and the engines (not the machines, they will be deeper in the
hull though) are destroyed. When we do it, we do it the WC3/4
and FS2 way.

As for the wasp, taste is different. I never liked that ship.Looks
like two drink-cans on a center stick. I would rework it (its nose more
smaller, and the missile-pods deeper I think).

However, this is just Science-Fiction for now, cause WC-Saga
is first in the row and takes most of my time. We talk about WCP in
2005 again. :D
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Nico

• Venom
I like the way capships are dealt with in WCP. Actually, you can consider the ships not really destroyed anyway, you can consider them disabled: you can still target them and all.  But then again, ahving alrge chuncks of it blown away could deal to bad chain reactons, explosive decompression and stuff.
If you destroy the ship's engines, it makes sense it won't move anymore. If you kill the bridge, it makes sense the essential systems won't work anymore.
I liked that in WCP, actually, added some strategy to capship attacks, not just "wait for target lock, shoot torpedos". Can clean a specific area of its turrets, and attack from there, and it's impossible to hide in some stupid corner of the ship ( and the nephilim ships have many of those dead corners ) and pummel it to the death like you can in FS2. Makes more sense to me to kill a capship via essential systems rather than a square inch of hull.

And if you'd touch the wasp design, I'd skin you :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Nico
yeah, I know, I check the CIC on a dayly basis, pb is, I can't find the kilrathi saga anywhere, and I don't wanna get it of ebay. ( btw, gotta love the last sentence on todays news about your mod... ah, those "everything beside WC sucks" :p

well, you should talk to me about Kilrathi Saga ;) Maybe I can figure something out
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I liked that in WCP, actually, added some strategy to capship
attacks, not just "wait for target lock, shoot torpedos".

I can assure you, when this mod will be released, you will be suprised
how difficult it can be destroying one of the bigships or lock a single
torpedo.

In FS2 it is like the laserturrets are throwing furballs on you, but
in this game you will find out, that a few laser-turrets can be more
than a challenge to a skilled pilot, cause they are really fast and
deadly :D

@Towlyn : Didn't you promised that to me too some time ago ? :p
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
Oh crap, are you trying to tell me I have to learn proper space-combat now? :(
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline Nico

• Venom
yeah, yeah, I know how it is to dodge laser turrets when they're effective. Don't really remember if you were around, but I've worked for some time on a campaign ( Over the Top, was, sadly, to well named :doubt: ), I had some nifty turrets in there, and some ships like the Duat were REALLY well armed ( 80 odd turrets on it ). Bombing runs on the OTT capships were, well, full of adrenaline :)

and on that note:
"talks to Tolwyn about Kilrathi Saga"
:p

Btw, I know that's pretty unrelated, but I was wondering, from the point of view of WC die hard fans: how does The Darkening fits in in the WC universe, according to you? I find it difficult to believe, but it's supposed to be WC's distant future. Where did the Kilrathi go ( The Nephilims are out of the league, they were most likely not even existing in the imagination of anybody back then )?
SCREW CANON!

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Talking about hte Nephilim...I would do a quite drastic change in there weapon design.
I would remove the turrets and replace them with somekind of plasmabold luncher....something like a FS2 beamthing but shooting bolds.
Just an idea and not the best, but I would try it...cause that gives the nephilim a just more Alien feeling.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline Nico

• Venom
I'd do the turrets so they look like those sea animals, you know, they look like small white volcanos, stuck on abut everything ( rocks, crabs, whales ). Don't know the english name for it ( don't even remember the french name, to be honest ). they have an articulated top.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Btw, I know that's pretty unrelated, but I was wondering, from the point of view of WC die hard fans: how does The Darkening fits in in the WC universe, according to you? I find it difficult to believe, but it's supposed to be WC's distant future. Where did the Kilrathi go ( The Nephilims are out of the league, they were most likely not even existing in the imagination of anybody back then )?

The Darkening *is* in the WC universe? I thought it was a spin-off universe...
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Privateer2 is in the Wing Commander universe as far as I know.---but it seams that is in a quite corner of its own w/o any Kilrathi or Nephilim.

@Nico:
Know what you mean, but forgot the name also..but its what I meant I would use for the nephilim.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Ace

The Darkening *is* in the WC universe? I thought it was a spin-off universe...

Well the Talon from the first Privateer is in the game (its one of those scripted missions - the CIS military guys want you to find it and recover it for them).  A mention is made about the Confederation (presumably the Terran Confederation)....but wherever it is it seems to be in a total backwater.  I count it as part of the WC universe but only marginally.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
As far as I can tell, The Darkening is to the WC-universe kind of like what Freelancer is to Starlancer. Only perhaps less so. :) I do think it's a reasonable analogy, though.
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.