Author Topic: "Where we stand" (Status update)  (Read 9854 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
"Where we stand" (Status update)
To answer camcanr's question in the screenshot-thread, I thought it would be best to open up a new thread and give you waiting people some insight into our work's progress, so that you all can make yourself a picture of what's going on in the depths of this forum at the backstage of the WCS-Mod :)

Since we have received the "when" question many times in the past,  I can assure you, it won't take another two years until the first release will be made, namely our Prologue. It is meant for introducing some of the main-characters, introduce new (and old)players to the game-engine, and it opens the paths for the main-release which will come later. But the prologue is a small and for itself closed chapter of the Storyline.

To be honest, it is still very hard to tell a correct release date, since there are factors involved, which we can't control directly. One reason is that we can't control when we will be attacked by real life the next time. Currently I have some time (and mood), so there is some progress from my side, while the other guys work as hard as me when their time allows it.

Let me make a short summary of what's done and what still needs to be done:

- Three models (that are finished though) need to be polished a little more (UV-Mapping and stuff)
- The Main-Campaign-Missions are 99% finished (insider-joke : except for the bunch of hyphens in the text, that are not supposed to be there :D )
- More missions are one standby, though they need some finishing touches.
- The Voice-Lines are finished (over 500 at all, except 10 that must be redone )
- The game is good balanced, and the beta-test showed up a few bugs, we have now eliminated for better game-experience
- We are currently overworking the interface completly, which is certainly a massive amount work. But it will be worth it.
- Our last problem is, that we have to wait for at least one very important codechange (@Goober5000 : *hint,hint* :D )

So, while I could say we are more than 95 % done (mostly because we worked up everything that way, that we just have to insert the missing parts into the mod once they are done) it is still hard to tell, when everyone involved will be able to finish his part of the work.

We will puplish the final date shortly before the release, let's say 30 days before or so. But be assured, we are working as fast as we can.

Thanks for your patience :)

Starman©
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 03:03:24 pm by 1072 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Goober?
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Errh, yeah :D

(It's an insider joke actually :) )
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Sphynx

Hey, Starman! Do you want me to post this at the CIC as an update, as they have been requesting there?
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline Sphynx

Goober: you can see it as a strange name for peanut or a strange name for a redneck child, but either way we are waiting on him! He's a nice guy, once you get through that outer shell (peanut joke!). Remind me not to post again right after donating blood while I'm still lightheaded.

Seriously, though, he's working on an important code change that will liven up the experience of WCS quite a bit. It's worth the wait, to be sure.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Sphynx
Hey, Starman! Do you want me to post this at the CIC as an update, as they have been requesting there?

Go for it :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Damn.... I can't wait. This is my favourite mod after all.

That's the reason I never joined you guys. This is the one mod I want t play without all contend spoiled. :)

:yes:
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
But you should join us :)

I might say, that there are several members, that have yet to play the mod. And we could surely use some help (Wing Commander Saga now hiring!) :D
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Oh don't worry about working for the mod and knowing the story.  I haven't read one word of the main campain for the same reason ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Originally posted by DaBrain
That's the reason I never joined you guys.

Join me! You can become more powerfull than any Jedi! Search your feelings, you know it to be true...

Ed

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Well, I could work on some effects and ,if it's really neccessary, textures.

But I'm pretty busy already... I'm kinda working for many projects. ;)
(Plus some secret stuff :nervous: )
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
I think the "only I can save your loved ones" sales pitch worked better.  :devil:
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, I could work on some effects and ,if it's really neccessary, textures.

You are the man :D
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Seconded :D
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Lynx

Nice.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
You did read the second part of my posting too, right?
;7

Well, I'm about to finish a big part of my work soon, so... maybe I'll have some time to do some work for you. ;)
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
You did read the second part of my posting too, right?
;7

Yeah, but we decided to ignore that part for our own best ;7 :lol:
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Sphynx

"Welcome to the family, my son." :)

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Good. :yes: Waiting for this one too.

Haven't played WC since I bought the WC IV(?) for Playstation. Heh, interactive movie game. I loved it. :p Though I only completed it once. And the first time I played the last mission I accidentally found the button combination what was needed to... Do something, but never again after that.

Uhm... Yeah. I don't think I'll be having that trouble with this WC game. :p

Keep up the good work, take your time and we'll have an excellent and working WC mod for FS2. :)
No surrender, no retreat.

First i want to say thanks for the info. ;)

Second: "Good luck and a lot of fun DaBrain". Seeya at 3DC... :D