Author Topic: Great Mod guys  (Read 5740 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I just want to say that you guys are doing a fanastic job! :D  i have never played any of the WC games :nervous: i now wish i had after looking at this mod.

I have also read the topic by Dishwasher and visited the CIC and have to say after reading, (which got me angry by the aggressiveness of some of the posters, is tht a word?), a number of topics i wont be going back. I also agree with what Black wolf said in that topic, but thats not what this post is about.

So i will get all my wing commander goodness from here, So Great work and take your time, i am a very very very patient man and i am looking forward to playing this.  :nod:

Ps can someone point me to a site where i can learn the History of the WC series, storyline etc, anything like the FS Wiki?

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Sphynx

To tell the truth, the best place to learn would be at wcnews.com (the CIC). They have extensive archives that have no peer when it comes to their attention to detail. So, look at what they have there, and you will be able to find out all you want to know. They have walk-throughs of each of the games, entries on all of the characters, information on ships, technology, tactics, background details, electronic versions of game manuals, etc... I know of no place that offers an equal resource.

You may also be interested in the Wing Commander novels. Both WC3 and WC4 were made into novels, and there are various others.

I'd also recommend playing Standoff, and giving the Privateer Remake or Privateer Gemini Gold a try (or Unknown Enemy, if you are feeling suicidal!)

But, as I said, that really is the best place to go for information. You don't have to be a registered member to get the information. Just click on the links on the right side of the screen.

Oh, and thanks for your support of WC Saga! We hope you will enjoy it upon its release.
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Thanks, are the books any good? i saw the film on sky movies and have to say i didn't think much of it, then again i didnt really know what WC about. I'll give that standoff a try cheers.

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Oh yeah the books are very good Ive only been able to read three of them.  Local Library carried false colors but I had them transfer fleet action and Im glad I did.
You can get End Run for free on wedges site right here(http://home.iprimus.com.au/Wedge009/) Its by far my favorite so far. 

Well - I think the mod is great as well, mostly becouse it really gives a wing commander feeling :) when i first saw HUD screenshots i thought theyr from WC4, only later said hey, it's FS HUD, only looks so good :D

personally, i think the best way to get to now WC universe is to play one of the games (you can get them on ebay quite cheap (the old ones) i'd recommend wc3, couse the Victory Streak guide wich is included introduces you to the universe. then of course you can go to the CIC for more info

Offline Sphynx

Excellent suggestions.

With regards to the WC movie: some people love it, some people hate it. I didn't care for it. While many folks at the CIC tend to see it a as a part of the continuum and have found ways to make it fit (and that's fine, I don't have a problem with people doing that), it really seems to me that it was more of a "re-visionining" of WC and not necessarily intended to fit nicely within the game universe (as is the case with most movies based on games).

You will find that the games are quite different than the movie in several ways. While I did not care for the movie, the WC games are my personal quintessential space flight sims. You won't regret purchasing them.

But anyhow, you can buy wc 1-4 dos versions and run them on dos box, or if you have money to spare you can bid on a copy of Kilrathi Saga on E-bay (which covers 1-3), but it tends to be rather expensive.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
And there is also a DVD version of Wing Commander 4, which, a fan made patch applied, can be played under Windows XP :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
4= Definitely the best in my opinion, 3 had oogles of atmosphere, but 4 drew me in deeper i dont know how. It just had that feel.  :nod:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Definitely!

You can take a look at the superb quality dvd videos here and here
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
thanks guys, i was going to try and find the games but was unsure if they would work with XP, but if there is a patch, i'll take a look at ebay, What i didn't like about the film was the characters i just personally thought that they were pretty much well boring and un-interesting but thats my opinion, the SFX were good.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Whoa T-man, that is the shineiest Ferret i've ever seen.........

Kudos to the team.......
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Sphynx

I absolutely loved 3: fighting the good fight against desperate odds, great characters, superb graphics for its time (even pretty good for now, but that may be due to my nostalgia), excellent gameplay... it had it all.

4 was amazing in its emotional impact. I actually got to the point where I felt bad about shooting people down (although I knew it was necessary)-- except for pirates and Black Lance-- because I knew that both the Confed and Border World pilots were just pawns in the grand manipulation that was going on. That's the closest a game has come to making me experience the moral bind I would find myself in if I had served in World War II like my grandfather and realized that the guys I was fighting were pretty much just normal guys like me who had been handed a gun by a totalitarian regime and told to fight or die.

It makes you think.

I can think of two movies that brought out that feeling very well, too. "Enemy Mine" and "Saints and Soldiers."

4 also had excellent mission variety, and the fact that the finale of the game was settled outside of the cockpit was a great feature.

Anyways, that's my two bits.

thanks guys, i was going to try and find the games but was unsure if they would work with XP, but if there is a patch, i'll take a look at ebay, What i didn't like about the film was the characters i just personally thought that they were pretty much well boring and un-interesting but thats my opinion, the SFX were good.

The film is very very different to the games my friend! 

Play WC3, then WC4 (WCIV) in that order. Thats the feel we are going for so I'd only play Prophecy after you've played those 2 as its quite a different style to the previous 2 games. I never played WC1 or 2, so dont worry that you are missing critical story points. WC3 is pretty much a self contained game without needing to have played the first 2.

What I loved about 3 was how it was all on one ship, it was great to go and chat to your fellow pilots after the missions. btw, when you return from a mission dont just go straight to the next Mission Briefing, go look around and see if there are more people to talk to. Somtimes there are people you HAVE to talk to before it lets you go on with the game, but other times the conversations are optional, but I suggest you watch as many of the movies as you can!

In Wc4 was much bigger in scope, and of course a much bigger budget. I love it as well, but for slightly different reasons. The story arch is pretty cool, especially on your first play through. You feel much more like you are in some kind of control of the where the story went. It kind of went down hill in Prophecy in this regard which focused more on the inflight gameplay aspect which was great, but the story was nowhere near as rich and of course had a less impressive budget.

What I always found strange or for me rather endearing with the Wc games is you'd have sveral really good actors with a few really bad ones. The guy that played Seether from WC4 was pretty bad, but Malcolm McDowell and John Rhys Davis are great actors.

Ed

« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 03:25:41 pm by Edward Bradshaw »

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
just did a search for them and all i can find is WC3 & 4 for the PS and prophecy for the PC. so i think i will get that when i get paid at the end of the month.

just did a search for them and all i can find is WC3 & 4 for the PS and prophecy for the PC. so i think i will get that when i get paid at the end of the month.

So which ones are you getting?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Cool, good choice.

You will probably need DosBox to run it, I havent tried it but I hear its easy enough.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Erk, no, no.I own em all already, WC4 actually will run under XP from a default install.

The links are just for the interested parties........whoever thay may be :nervous:

PS Blacklance FTW !!
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations

I,m going to get them all since i have a PS2 as well.

I,m going to get them all since i have a PS2 as well.

Cool :D  Can you get joysticks for the PS and PS2? Excuse my ignorce of consoles! Well, if you can get one., I cant imagine playing with a joypad. In fact I cant imagine playing with all the controls with a joypad