Author Topic: Game Fails to Launch  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Gibbs

Hello there. Old Wing Commander fan here. 

The game fails to launch after install.

Here is my setup.

AMD 3000+
1 Gig ram.
7900 GTO 512mb [pci-express]
Windows XP Pro SP2, Fully up to date

No tray apps. Clean, "Trouble free" system. Problems are very rare overall.
Nod32 anti-virus version 2.7 running in background.

Repair installation tried from add/remove. Will attempt uninstall/ registry entry cleaning and re-install. Also will try disabling NOD32 background scanning.

temp dir is empty and cleaned out regularly [docs and settings/username/local settings/temp]

Hopefully a re-install will fix it, quite eager to check this out! :)

Apologies in advance if this problem has been addressed or this post is in the wrong area.

Offline Shade

Any error messages at all?
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Hmm... did you change the default configuration? Did you install OpenAL? Like Shade already said: any error messages?
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Gibbs

Negative. No error messages. Sorry, should have mentioned that in my original post. Double clicking the desktop shortcut yields no activity, and watching process manager no processes are even launched and immediately quit as sometimes happens when things fail to launch properly.

I did allow OpenAL to install and it reported installed successfully during the original install procedure. Although I already had OpenAL on the system I believe.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
So, what happens, when you start the game?

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Gibbs

I finally ran the config module and was able to load the game.

Here was my folly -

I was only attempting to load the game from the desktop shortcut, thankfully after making a pot of coffee and returning, I did the unthinkable - I hit my start menu and checked for the Wing Commander Saga Prologue section and found the configuration program :)

So this was mainly my fault, but also, I recommend placing a shortcut or script to run the configuration after installation. I unchecked "run prologue" or launch prologue, after installing, which may be why I ran into this problem in the first place.

Apologies for the waste of space here. [embarrassed]

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I am curious: did you change anything? ;)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Gibbs

Nothing was configured initially. I just enabled everything in the "features" tab. List type was graphics, I clicked the easy setup pulldown and basically told it to turn everything on.

Changing the pulldown type from graphics to other ones automatically closed the confguration program without an error.

I just noticed that the OpenAL section notes no audio device.

I'll have to look into this closer in an hour. Right now, I feel like one of those guys I normally roll my eyes at...I seem to be having some strange problems. I'm a very thorough guy who keeps the system up to date but I also keep things simple, I dont over tweak.

I'll report my findings back this afternoon when I have more time to mess with it [crosses fingers]

Reinstall the latest OpenAL. If the one that came with the installer is older than the one you had installed already, it will break OpenAL. I canceled out of the OpenAL part for that reason. Curiously even when you do so, the OpenAL installer still tells you it was installed successfully.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
This sounds like the installer failed to write launchers into the registry. Full admin rights are required to setup the game properly. OpenAL supplied with the game is the latest version, released in mid December.

-WC Saga's beta tester