Author Topic: Virtual memory/Swap file?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Virtual memory/Swap file?
Can anyone explain to me what difference it will make if I alter these settings (control panel> system> performance> virtual memory). Will my computer work better/faster/more stabaly with 2Gb of memory in there instead of 100Mb? should I let windows manage it for me? Thanks for any help  

------------------
Webmaster: Hard Light Productions
Staffer and P1mp: Ross128   Sounds of Thunder

Fight the future!

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
i think it's extra hdspace that windows can use for storing temp files,once i had a error that was saying that my swap file size wase to low (after i installed a game)i needed 400mb space and i had 150 left so i deleted the stuff i didn't needed.when i had about 460mb of swap space i could play the game.I hope i't helps a bit

------------------
       [email protected]                 hello,great bb
Ik houd erg veel van bier
And girls.
yea suppernova's let her rip:D
Action is reaction by: Newton
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Starwing

It is "Virtual Memory". Windows uses it to store data from the RAM if it needs more memory then it has available. Having more is never wrong, but I don't think it will really do a difference having more then a certain amount of it. I've heard twice the value of your RAM is a good size, but don't quote me on that.

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Ok I went through this with Eth a few weeks ago when he helped me fine tune my CPU.

For Virtual Memory, whateer Meg RAM you have (to the nearest 16) doubled is what you need to set the min AND the max Virtual memory for. As he said,..letting Windows mamnage Virtual memory is costly has it CONSTANTLY will change sizes instead of being a constantly size.

Like Im running 112 Meg, he had me set min and max Virtual mem to 256 each, this allocates a single 256 meg swp file and keeps it at 256 meg.

Before windows would work it up to over a gig. Yea that's nice until you realize that's a gig of HD space gone POOF.

Virtual Memory = Windows Scratch pad.

As for as which harddrive to use for your Virtual memory,...if you've got more then one HD, use the one with the last programs on it.

------------------
Warlock
DeathAngel Squadron
CO

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon
Ghosts of the Past Forum
Ghosts of the Past WebSite
To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon

To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Thanks for the input guys, I've got it set at 500Mb for now, I'll try running that custom thing some time as well  

------------------
Webmaster: Hard Light Productions
Staffer and P1mp: Ross128   Sounds of Thunder

Fight the future!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
My RAM is working fine, 128 physical and 256 static virtual. One utility that I find somewhat useful is RAMpage, which so far has proved very stable.

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Velocity Mod