Author Topic: Special Females-split from teh preds  (Read 19124 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Special Females-split from teh preds
For ****'s sake man! WE ARE NOT LOWERING ANY ****ING STANDARDS.

Alas, they do. As shown by some studies, women undergoing the same trails as men (for marine acceptance) have shown to be far more prone to injuries, especially back injuries, since they have to force themselves so much.
You will find out that standard for women are lowered in most, if not all cases.
[/quote]

Please read the first link Dilmah provided. It says, in far more detail than I want to spend, that of all the women serving in the Armed Forces, only 1 % has the physical prerequisites to perform at the same level as a male. It also says that the standards are not lowered; in other words, women can enter the Armed Forces, even the special forces branches provided they meet the entrance criteria, which are the same for males and females.

However, there are other combat roles where women can perform on the same level as men (Air Force pilot corps says hello), without adjusting the entrance criteria.

**** psychological basis. I'm talking purely physical. The thing is that she won't score in the top 50, and if she does, you'll be taking in the top 10, so she's still out.

And if she does score in the top 10? Or if you're looking for the top 50? TrashMan, your lack of argumentation skill is showing again.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Maybe that's reflective of our benevolent overlords' personal lives.

ZING!

Oy!

It's called sporadic vigilance.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Bullets from women can kill you just as well as bullets from men. Guns are the great equalizer regardless.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Bullets from women can kill you just as well as bullets from men. Guns are the great equalizer regardless.

I'm sure Trashman would be much more embaressed to be killed by a woman, except for the fact that the dead have no use for vanity.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Don't need to kill him to prove him wrong. Maiming would achieve both goals. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
in other words, women can enter the Armed Forces, even the special forces branches provided they meet the entrance criteria, which are the same for males and females.

Oh, I'm not trying to ban anyone from trying, but regular armed forces and Special Forces are NOT the same. If only a very small subset of all the males can even realisticly think of joining, then that 1% females can only dream.

And if she does score in the top 10? Or if you're looking for the top 50? TrashMan, your lack of argumentation skill is showing again.

Is she does - peachy. But she won't.
What if pigs could fly?

True. But to think that eliminates physical prowess from the combat is pure fantasy. Not even for snipers. Let's say you are a sniper and your position is detected. The enemy is sending a artillery barrage your way and is sending troops to catch you. Speed and endurance suddenly because very important.

To be clear on this - physical fitness is not a prequisite from one to fight..or shoot. But it does improve your chances to actually survive.

I'm sure Trashman would be much more embaressed to be killed by a woman, except for the fact that the dead have no use for vanity.

I'm a realist NGTM-1R. Something you fail to grasp.
I don't doubt for a second a woman soldier could easily kill me.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Oh, I'm not trying to ban anyone from trying, but regular armed forces and Special Forces are NOT the same. If only a very small subset of all the males can even realisticly think of joining, then that 1% females can only dream.
So why not allow them to try out? It hurts no-one but the egos of a few wankers if they do make it.

Is she does - peachy. But she won't.
What if pigs could fly?
You'll never know unless you let them.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
There is absolutely zero reason to bar female soldiers from trying out for any position they desire.

There is also absolutely zero reason to give them any kind of lower standards. They should have to meet the same fitness requirements as men.

But don't be fooled - most of today's restrictions against women in combat are based on pure sexism. Same reason the (superior) female Mercury candidates were turned down.

Offline Nuclear1

Wow, Trashman proves again he doesn't know a damned thing about women in the armed forces.

Batt's right--the main reason women aren't allowed to serve in combat roles is purely sexist...maybe not entirely chauvinistic as much as a misguided sense of chivalry amongst male soldiers, but it's still sexist nonetheless.

And I'm gonna say this for the millionth time--I know plenty of women serving just here at Offutt that can kick the physical fitness eval's ass every year.  All us aircrew folks went through SERE, where we all had to carry 85-90 pound rucks through the mountains.  We all learned how to hunt, set up shelter, avoid detection, and resist torture...and from what I remember, the last thing on guys' minds out there were our dicks.

It's the same thing with DADT.  The military is barring homosexuals/women from serving based on what they think might happen, rather than what actually happens. 
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I dunno why you're all wasting your breath.  It's obvious Trash is a misogynist and thats probably not gonna change by offerin' reasonable arguments.  Unless your going to go forward in time and bring back a female SAS or SEAL to beat the tar out of him just accept he's backward and move along.  Otherwise he'll just keep posting exacerbating drivel that'll make you beat your head against a wall.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Yea you guys aren't going to see Trashman post a "oh you're right. I'm so sorry. Women should be able to try". It's just not going to happen.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
It's the same thing with DADT.  The military is barring homosexuals/women from serving based on what they think might will eventually happen, rather than what actually happens. 

Fixed.  If it's allowed it will happen eventually, humans are human and do stupid stuff.  Personally, I think soldiers should take libido suppressors for the duration of service.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Nuclear1

For once I don't disagree with you Lib.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Well I bloody do :p

I know no less than six Females in my Regiment who are on-par with me and one insane woman who is going for her PTI course, that's a Physical Training Instructor (which means she's already a Lance Corporal. If they're fit enough then I believe they should do it. The monthly bleed thing is a minus obviously but to be honest that's not my call.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Qent

What's with all the physical stuff? Did anyone read Dilmah's link?

There are women who can pass the most rigorous tests that men are ever given, but they should not be put in an intense combat situation with men. Men are generally wired to be attracted to women, which can impair judgment. Fix it with training? Yeah, whatever... maybe. Can you be sure that the training will hold under all possible stressful situations? As that "Women in the Armed Forces" paper said, maybe, but we'd have to get some empirical data, and that means some people will die.

So yeah, it's sexist. But it ought to be, since sex is the fundamental difference here. And it has nothing to do with what women can or cannot do, but how the relationship between a man and a woman is different from that between two men. I suppose you could quantify and actively correct for that, but I suspect that the "correction" would just be pulling women from the front lines.

However, as modern militaries start incorporating more automation and unmanned gizmos, that will open up even more non-front-line positions. Even today, most killing is done from afar, not face-to-face.

EDIT: Where's iamzack?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:52:40 pm by Qent »

Offline Nuclear1

Again, I refer back to my SERE training.  Even in a training environment, I noticed very little, if any, of that behavior from guys serving in the same units as women. 

For some weird reason, the sense of danger, brutal beatings, despair, and extraordinary stress overwhelmed our male desire to ****.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
There are women who can pass the most rigorous tests that men are ever given, but they should not be put in an intense combat situation with men. Men are generally wired to be attracted to women, which can impair judgment.

This claim has never really worked for me. Not only do men who are wired to be attracted to men serve alongside other men just fine, but men have served alongside women in intense combat and performed superbly during many of history's most intense battles.

You're also ignoring Nuclear's reports about SERE training.

The biggest problem with a gender integrated military is men raping women. And that's a problem with the men, and not one to be solved by isolating the genders.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 03:06:36 pm by General Battuta »

Offline mxlm

The biggest problem with a gender integrated military is men raping women. And that's a problem with the men, and not one to be solved by isolating the genders.

Incidentally, on another board I'm active on there's an Israeli woman who was (is? Whatever) in an...I want to say infantry...unit that had a fifty/fifty gender split. And, uh, sexual harassment? Unheard of.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Unsurprising, given that they've had a lot more practice with the gender-integrated business.

Just goes to prove that the best way to make it work is to bite the bullet.

Offline Nuclear1

The US military is making some good strides in the area of preventing sexual harassment too--if I had nickel for every SARC (Sexual Assault Response Coordinator) briefing I've had since I've been in...