Author Topic: Macross Delta  (Read 5474 times)

Why do you guys think of the 3d animation in frontier and now delta?

I haven't had problems with it. They've been refining it since it appeared in Zero.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

It still feels, I dunno, a little heavy on the vaseline?

It could just be me, I think the Macross series has been feeding speed to all of their pilots. I just end up wondering "how the hell would we ever emulate this in a cockpit sim".

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Why do you guys think of the 3d animation in frontier and now delta?

I was actually pretty fond of it in Zero (first time a VF transformed and it didn't magically add or subtract mass!), and Frontier wasn't bad.

Delta though it just feels off, maybe because it doesn't feel like it's really gotten better.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yea...I don't get the show anymore. Macross, the original, was a space opera that dealt realistically with the consequences of war and took a look at what might happen when bio-weapons grew into their own species.

Then we had Macross: DYRL, really good animation, similar storyline...

Then M2 at least tried to continue some sort of realistic thing?

M7 got really weird.

M+ was awesome! Realistic, a human story. An exploration of three (four?) people, haunted by their pasts and forced to confront them again.

M0 was...well, it tried. It was neat for like maybe 35-50% of the time, the rest of it was preachy and annoying.

Then Macross Frontier took M7 and got weirder.

Now this?

It just seems like with every iteration they're doubling down on the "music as a weapon", forgetting the whole "culture shock" aspect of it (which would be interesting to explore today with how we deal with other radically different cultures) and is becoming more and more like a cartoon that's meant to sell toys and pander to young boys.

Which, I mean...it probably always has been, but at least at the beginning it felt like there was depth. What is it now but a technicolor light show with cool fighter jets?

EDIT: Also there's this: http://www.animemaru.com/harmony-gold-to-adapt-macross-delta-as-robotech-spin-off/

Robotech: Songstress Squad. Also, apparently they aquired the M0 and Frontier rights, if this article is to be believed.
Aside from you getting deliciously fooled by animemaru (it's a parody site yo), I feel roughly the same way about the macross franchise as you do.
Though I'd probably give zero more credit for its nice combat and I felt frontier was pretty aright overal. I liked the second movie of it the most.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Everybody knows the only thing Harmony Gold does with its IP rights is sue Battletech from time to time.  :P
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Because I heard that allot of Macross Zero references have been popping up in Delta I went back and actually watched it before I saw Delta.

The Anti-Spacy VF is amazing and unless you read some of the side stuff I don't know if you would even realize the Aerial Knights use VF's that are descendants of that design. I love the design aesthetic of the Sv- series.

I think the majority of Zeros fights were on par all allot more fun and energetic (if you don't mind the vaseline everywhere) then most fights from other series. But don't really have the emotional investment of the other series making them less memorable.

Back to the topic of this thread:

I wish Macross was untouched by that 'PERVERT DETECTED. EXECUTE UNFUNNY VIOLENCE SUBROUTINE' ****. Really makes me dislike Mirage allot more. Don't get me wrong, shes probably my favorite character so far.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
The SV-51s in Zero were supposed to be Sukhoi built and it showed. 

This thing is a Saab Draken or I will eat my hat:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That sure is a Draken, yes.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Sv = Sukhoi Variable Fighter.

Also that is indeed a Draken. Its the Sv-262Hs Draken III. It's possible Saab was bought out by Sukhoi in the Macross Universe. In Japan they released small books going indepth into the VF's, Destroids and other vehicles in the show. So until someone translates the Draken pne, who knows.

If the Sv was indeed a catch all designation for hostile VF's like the AMX designation for Axis Mobile Suits from MSGZZ then doesn't it not make any sense due to other hostile forces using VF's against them with other designations? Such as the enemy VF's from M7 when they hadn't been seen by anyone before.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 08:11:20 am by Mammothtank »

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs

This thing is a Saab Draken or I will eat my hat:

Welp, don't Saab in your beer about it.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
What if, in this case SV = Saab Variable Fighter.
Both start with S after all.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

It could be. Although apparently Sukhoi has been confirmed to not exist by the events of the original Macross but its descendant companies still exist.

The Sv-51 from Zero is also apparently still in service with various anti-UN groups by Frontier as well as by the UN Spacy itself with new versions having been long updated with Reaction Engines to allow it to be used in space.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Sv-51 from Zero is also apparently still in service with various anti-UN groups by Frontier as well as by the UN Spacy itself with new versions having been long updated with Reaction Engines to allow it to be used in space.

...considering the number of airframe iterations the VF series has been through by that point, anything contemporary to the VF-0 must be like shooting skeet regardless of upgrades.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
 :wtf:  Wait Wut...

Earth was glassed in Super Dimension Fortress Macross, the survivors on SDF-1 basically restarted civilization as seen in the last nine episodes.   New aerospace industries would have been founded by whatever personnel from Stonewell/Bellcom/Shinnakasu were on site when Macross initially fold spaced to the edge of the solar system.  That there would even be holdouts from the original U.N. Wars that survived would be a stretch let alone them building obsolete SV-51 air frames that would still be in service in 2067.

New aerospace industries would have been founded by whatever personnel from Stonewell/Bellcom/Shinnakasu were on site when Macross initially fold spaced to the edge of the solar system.

Indeed. The remnants of Stonewell, Bellcom, and Shinnakasu were merged into a new manufacturer called Shinsei Industries. The other major competitor for the New UN civilization is General Galaxy, which is actually a Zentraedi start-up.

Anyway, as for the original Sv-51, it was apparently built in a joint effort between Sukhoi, Israel Aircraft Industries, and Dornier (it isn't clear whether these companies were part of the Anti-UN Coalition or if the design was stolen from them by said coalition). According to expanded universe materials, the Sv line was not canned completely but was reabsorbed by Shinsei Industries following the Zentraedi War, and they've continued to tinker with the design even if it's never become their main product (they used a few such jets in the filming of the in-universe Macross Zero movie in Frontier, for instance). The Draken III's in use by Windermere are Sv-262's, which I'm guessing they stole during their independence war.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:41:57 pm by Dark Hunter »
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

New aerospace industries would have been founded by whatever personnel from Stonewell/Bellcom/Shinnakasu were on site when Macross initially fold spaced to the edge of the solar system.
The Draken III's in use by Windermere are Sv-262's.

Haven't we already established they are Sv-262's?

Apparently hidden bunkers full of Sv-51's were discovered after the Earth was glassed too.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:14:23 am by Mammothtank »

So, new episode.

Windermere's got a new toy, and the king's taking frontline command. Al-Shahal is about to fall, leaving Ragna as the only obstacle to Windermere's domination of the cluster.

NUNS and Chaos are seriously going to have to step up their game.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 12:45:56 pm by Dark Hunter »

Surprised there's only 8 billion people in the entire sector. Seems real small tbh, but I guess the colonial fleets weren't too stuffed to the gills in order to maintain a first world quality of life.

I just realised that the Macross Elysion in Macross Delta is a Macross Quarter class ship. But they've added two new ARMD class ships onto it. Which you can see them travel to other planets on and had the Delta platoon on it during the attack on Ragna.

Why make it look so big though? Maybe the developers mistake? Although it does feel kinda refreshing have a not ginormous ship as the good guys flagship in the Macross series.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:42:15 am by Mammothtank »