Author Topic: The HLP "What's Cooking?" thread (2016 Edition)  (Read 3547 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: The HLP "What's Cooking?" thread (2016 Edition)
From scratch oven baked french fries for my wife right now. Why spend the extra money on bagged fries when a 10 pound bag of potatoes is so much cheaper?

Well I suck at peeling potatoes so sometimes I can't be bothered. (Seriously, it takes me about 2-3 minutes per potato!)

But yeah, home-cooked chips taste so much better.. I rarely eat store bought if I've taken the trouble to cook something myself.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Well I suck at peeling potatoes so sometimes I can't be bothered. (Seriously, it takes me about 2-3 minutes per potato!)

Why peel 'em? I've been cooking with skin-on 'taters for years, and it's super tasty and easy.

From scratch oven baked french fries for my wife right now. Why spend the extra money on bagged fries when a 10 pound bag of potatoes is so much cheaper?

the labour involved in slicing up all those potatoes?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

Why peel 'em? I've been cooking with skin-on 'taters for years, and it's super tasty and easy.

For chips?

For chips?

Yeah! What harm is a little potato skin on the ends of your chips? It's good for you: extra fiber or something.

But yeah, home-cooked chips taste so much better.. I rarely eat store bought if I've taken the trouble to cook something myself.

Um, who said anything about peeling them? Just scrub with produce brush, cut into fries, and bake. Leaving the skin on the potato means better fries, IMO.

the labour involved in slicing up all those potatoes?

Labor? Um...ok. Cutting up two or three potatoes is nothing. And the oven has to heat up anyway, so no big deal there.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm not a particularly big fan of potato skin so I always peel it. But yeah, home made chips are miles ahead of store bought.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I got into a habit of not bothering to peel 'taters in the army, originally because there was usually limited time to eat so instead of peeling the potatoes I just picked some of the more darkened and particularly cancerous looking growths off of them (these were often inside the potatoes anyway, so peeling them did nothing for that) and happily ate the most of them.

Ever since then I just haven't felt the need to peel potatoes.

It feels more like a social convention than something actually worth doing to me, plus it's really annoying how you get sticky boiled potato on your fingers when peeling boiled potatoes. Practically all potatoes I've eaten since have had no peels worth nothing, compared to the thick hides of the army food 'taters. Besides, there's nothing wrong with some potato peels, as long as there's not like sand and dirt on them.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
I've always felt that actually thoroughly peeling potatoes is a waste of time--unless you're strictly going for presentation.  Herra Tohtori is right though--definitely pick the bad bits off (dig out mold/fungus stuff).  I think the last time I completely peeled potatoes was for mashed potatoes for Christmas dinner--and that only for the kids.

Fun idea--if you ARE into peeling the potatoes, I've seen quick recipes where you lightly oil and season up the skins and bake them quickly and make little snack chips out of them.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.