Author Topic: Gigabyte RMA experience... never again  (Read 1082 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Gigabyte RMA experience... never again
So, I bought a R9 280X OC 3GB card about a month ago.  Bad BIOS flash, so I got a good discount.  It was still in warranty and had a dual BIOS, so nbd I thought.

Flashed correct BIOS, tried to install drivers.  Black screen whenever installation started.  Oook, RMA time, right?  Got an e-mail back from them on 9/15 saying they got the card.  Turn around time ~2 business days, sweet!

Fast forward to today, when I call them

"Hey, you guys received my graphics card on 9/15, what's up with it?

"Oh, they think the chipset is damaged, and the thermal paste had been changed, so that's probably what damaged the chipset."

"..So the chipset is damaged?"

"Well, replacing the thermal paste voided the warranty."

"... how much will it cost to fix?"

"We normally just ship it back."

"So.. when was it mailed back?"

"Umm... I'll get ahold of shipping and have them send it."

* jr2 shakes his head. "Never again, Gigabyte... never again."

EDIT: I should mention, they're only open 8:30-4 Pacific time, so I had to wait until 11:30 my time to call.  You'd think being that big they'd have better hours.

Re: Gigabyte RMA experience... never again
That was pretty anticlimactic tbh

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Gigabyte RMA experience... never again
It's not so much that they horribly screwed up.  More like I would have expected them to be on the ball with updating me on the situation.

That and they didn't even try to determine if their product failed under the warranty; the sticker was broken (I assume) so they just rejected it as-is.  Which, I suppose, I can't fault them for.  More or less I expected that if it wasn't under warranty I could pay them to fix it.