Author Topic: Release: Sathanas  (Read 30746 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, basically, it's like this. Yes, you could merge it all into one giant 8096^2 map (Actually, I would be interested in seeing how that compares, performancewise).

However, 4096^2 is a safe size, in that anyone who has spent some money on graphics hardware can use them. A n 8192^2 map, especially when combined with shine, glow and normal maps, will take a lot of GPU memory, and on systems with only 256 or 512 MB of video RAM, will cause incredible slowdowns.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 08:43:30 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
The 2048 x 2048 version appears to be available now.  I didn't notice any difference between the 2048 and the 4096 as far as appearance or perfromance.  I assume this is probably due to the 1440 X 900 resolution I am using.
I get about 48 fps in the tech room and it goes to 60 fps if I turn off FXAA.  Just for comparison I get about 50 FPS for a Ravanna and 60 fps for a Demon.  This is with the Shadows build.
Using the latest nightly build (no Shadows) with post processing and FXAA active, I get 60 fps
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:31:06 am by Macfie »
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

Shortly after this screen the other two cannons opened fire also, trying again a total of five times in which it fired from angles of 90' - 150' each time. I played through this another five times afterwards with the Retail Sathanas which never fired from these angles, restarting after it reached the Colossus's bow. To my knowledge there isn't an actual mission with ships attacking the Sathanas from its flanks, but I haven't played many campaigns recently. Either way, the behavior isn't normal.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:42:45 am by Commander Zane »

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I fixed the 2048 version link.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
This is going into Inferno.

R

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Very nice! The Sathanas actualy looks good now!:)
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Very nice! The Sathanas actualy looks good now!:)

No offense, but have you seen the other one?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I always imagined Sath as a giant insect instead of something mechanical. I will use this version, nice work :yes:.
BTW. I've noticed wrong vector of main beams' firepoints. One of the main flaks has the same issue.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I always imagined Sath as a giant insect

Yeah, when I first saw it's briefing icon I thought "it's a giant space flea"

I always imagined Sath as a giant insect instead of something mechanical. I will use this version, nice work :yes:.
BTW. I've noticed wrong vector of main beams' firepoints. One of the main flaks has the same issue.

:banghead: And I knew that it was something I had to look at before releasing.

Is there anything else wrong with it that needs fixing? Do the barrels on the flak line up right? I can't tell in pcs 2,  and Freespace 2 seems irreparably broken. You guys are pretty much my only way of testing it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:47:04 pm by bobbtmann »

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Try runing it in debug mode with no other mods. I get something about the shivan#piranha. Perhaps it's just my end though, my computer right now is all sorts of messed up in terms of freespace.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Kolgena

I would definitely be interested in results from a non-shadow build.

Nightly build r7904:
(Just to be clear, I used the 2048^2 textured versions for both sathanases)

Same graphics settings as before, fps read in ship lab.

bobb:
98-108 zoomed out
47-57 zoomed in

rga:
72-75 zoomed out
36-45 zoomed in

These settings are obtained without the new shadow code.

4 gigs of DDR2-800E RAM,
mobility radeon 3650 @ 590/790, 512MB GDDR3
core2duo 2.4GHz.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:44:29 am by Kolgena »

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Very nice. I like the more subtle glow of this one.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

:banghead: And I knew that it was something I had to look at before releasing.

Is there anything else wrong with it that needs fixing? Do the barrels on the flak line up right? I can't tell in pcs 2,  and Freespace 2 seems irreparably broken. You guys are pretty much my only way of testing it.
I fixed firepoints of the main beams and flaks, plus a few small issues.
>>>LINK<<<
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That doesn't quite resolve the issue in its entirety. I layed out three Colossi in a way that to hit the two to the sides the beams would have to fire at a 45 degree angle outward; the Retail Sathanas would not fire at these two after watching for several minutes, it only attacked the center Colossus. I then used the fixed Sathanas, it attacked all three firing at the most extreme of 90 degrees outward.

This screen is unrelated to the firing arc problem, but rather something else: Its chargeup effect (While stationary) is farther back than the orb itsef. This is with the initial and fixed releases but not occuring on the Retail model.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Retail one's beams have fov only 90, this HTL have two times bigger. I haven't noticed this, but it's easy to change in pcs2 and it's the smallest problem. As I see, particles from the beam cannons are spawning in the centers of submodels instead of firepoints. Submodels of the main HTL Sath's beams are much bigger than in low-poly model, they are almost half of the spikes. Submodels of the main beams from the retail model are just sharp engings of the whole arms... I think the centerpoints of the submodels of main beams needs to be moved on the end of the arms, where the beam fires. Needs to be done in modeling program.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
that means shooting down the fangs on the newer will be easier because the submodel is bigger?, I don't have a clue so I have to ask.
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, that is most likely correct. By a lot actually.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

I'll see about moving the centre point.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

This shot is terrifying.  :shaking: An excellent show of bob's skills. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta