Author Topic: Release: Mantle 1.0.0  (Read 32135 times)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I can definitely confirm that in 1.0.0 there are both the Prometheus HoL variant and Mekhu HL-8 present, and all the HoL variants of ships are in place. I can't say what's with turrets though, I didn't pay attention.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Okay. I have uploaded Mantle 1.0.2. Give it a try if you get the chance.

I finally went and looked at the campaign file, and my HoL weapon variants weren't tagged as available at the start, so it's possible this all just happened because I'm a derp. So, I fixed that.

I'm not convinced that was the problem, or the whole problem, though; I'm almost positive that I tested the campaign using the ready room itself, not just the tech room, and that the loadouts were fine. I also think that I went through and made sure the campaign file was correct before releasing 1.0.0, though I could be wrong... So, maybe it reset itself or something?

Anyway. Let me know if the loadout nonsense is still happening in this version. The other problems may take longer to fix -- for that matter, the instability in the last two missions might be unavoidable (assuming I want to keep them basically as-is in terms of gameplay). I think there might just be too much stuff happening in those missions for the engine to reliably handle.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I get the same as perihelion. I briefly tried the first mission via the tech room, and my ship was armed with the red PromRs. I then carried on with the campaign missions. In the 4th/5th mission - the first time you fly a Thoth against Shivan fighters - my load-out was back to Akhetons.

NB -  the only secondaries available on any of the missions in the campaign thus far have been Rockeyes. I figured this was deliberate since the HoL were low on supplies. However I just noticed that in the first mission via the tech room you have dumbfire rockets too. I assume then the secondaries are affected too.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help fix this.

---NB - just saw you uploaded a newer version. Trying it now ---
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Just tried it, same problem, sorry. Uninstalled, including manually deleting the mantle folder. Reinstalled, tried again. Still the same problem. :confused: :banghead:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Okay. Uh. Yeah, I don't know how to fix this. I'll fiddle with it some more -- I'll try downloading onto a different computer, so I can see what you guys are dealing with.

Offline Mito [PL]

Also,
I really do apologize for how much a ****show this is.
I can't stress enough how you should not apologize. After all, it was you who sacrificed the time and motivation to provide us with this fine scenario. You're running into problems that firstly, aren't your fault or intention and secondly, don't really break the game. Just work on the solution at your own pace, I'm sure you'll nail the problem eventually - and I think we can just wait for it patiently.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Also,
I can't stress enough how you should not apologize. After all, it was you who sacrificed the time and motivation to provide us with this fine scenario. You're running into problems that firstly, aren't your fault or intention and secondly, don't really break the game. Just work on the solution at your own pace, I'm sure you'll nail the problem eventually - and I think we can just wait for it patiently.

I...I really appreciate that sentiment. Thanks!  :)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Also,

Seconded! You put the time in for free to create it and are continuing to do so to fix it, which is more than can be said for some AAA devs. There is no rush to get it sorted, we can wait :-)

I heartily agree with MitoPL and Iain. This is your baby, don't apologize for it!  You don’t owe us anything. We can certainly be patient, and for what little help I can provide as a tester, I offer it.

I’ll try 1.0.2 on my end as soon as time permits and see if that fixes anything on my end.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
I just tried 1.02 on the most recent nightly (20181217) an older one (20171118), and 3.8.0-3...still only SDGs and rockeyes for loadout.  And I can only launch the campaign from the ready room.  The Mantle shows up in the tech room launcher, but I can't select it or launch it, weirdly.

FWIW, I also still get those warnings when starting up (on the nightly builds, nor on 3.8.0-3), and they seem to be mostly weapons related so maybe that's why the loadouts are funky?

Happy to offer my help (such as it is) as well!

Offline Mito [PL]

You need to press Ctrl+Shift+S in the mission simulator to unlock all the campaign missions you didn't finish yet - if you've got no progress in the campaign, you won't have any missions available for replay without that "hack".
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
You need to press Ctrl+Shift+S in the mission simulator to unlock all the campaign missions you didn't finish yet - if you've got no progress in the campaign, you won't have any missions available for replay without that "hack".

Oh...haha. I guess I never used the mission simulator on a campaign with no progress before...had no idea it'd do that.  Thanks.

So yeah...now I'm seeing pretty much the same behavior as everyone else.  SDGs and Rockeyes for the loadouts in the campaign, while launching from tech room adds prometheus R and dumbfires.  That holds true for the three builds I mentioned above.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

Oh...haha. I guess I never used the mission simulator on a campaign with no progress before...had no idea it'd do that.  Thanks.

So yeah...now I'm seeing pretty much the same behavior as everyone else.  SDGs and Rockeyes for the loadouts in the campaign, while launching from tech room adds prometheus R and dumbfires.  That holds true for the three builds I mentioned above.

I wondered if there was a way to unlock missions via the tech room. Thank you for sharing this little gem. This will also help skip past some game breaking bugs in other campaigns too :-)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Actually i would use this hotkey only for Debug and Developing reasons, but not for playing a campaign. Especially newer ones that use features like Campaign and Player persistant variables.

If anyone encounter mission breaking bugs, i always suggest to write a bug report to the developer in the release thread or in the general support forums, because there are some users here, myself included, that fix addressed bugs via FRED2 for an error-free mission file.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Actually i would use this hotkey only for Debug and Developing reasons, but not for playing a campaign. Especially newer ones that use features like Campaign and Player persistant variables.

If anyone encounter mission breaking bugs, i always suggest to write a bug report to the developer in the release thread or in the general support forums, because there are some users here, myself included, that fix addressed bugs via FRED2 for an error-free mission file.

Good point, fixing the problems is always better. But for those game breaking bugs which no one can figure out it could be a life saver.

Offline Mito [PL]

I wondered if there was a way to unlock missions via the tech room. Thank you for sharing this little gem. This will also help skip past some game breaking bugs in other campaigns too :-)
This won't work. Playing missions from the simulator doesn't make changes to the campaign progress, at least from what I know.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline crizza

Wondering about the Alheton too, but I consistently die by the explosion of the repair facitly^^
What I've seen so far looks relly promising.

Okay.  The issue with the Akhetons and Rockeyes continues to perplex me.

I completely uninstalled Knossos and deleted everything from my application data and program files and even my games/fsopen/ folders.  I couldn't have started from a cleaner slate without reformatting and reinstalling windows.  In then installed Knossos and only directed it to install Mantle and its dependencies.  All my pilots were gone, naturally, so I had to make a new one.

First mission, I still only have the option of an Anubis (fair enough) and Akheton and Rockeyes.  So, let me be absolutely sure, am I supposed to have access to the HoL Prometheus in the first mission?  Or is Akheton actually the only cannon I should have access to in Mission 1?

My next step after this was to try to run the mod outside of Knossos with the old launcher, but there aren't separate links to do that.  So I doubt anyone who got it to run correctly did that.

I do make some changes to my keyboard configuration when I first make my new pilots.  I learned how to fly playing Tie Fighter, and got used to backspace being full thrust and backslash zero thrust.  So I always switch those around.  And I make some other changes here and there for my joystick for banking and targeting.  Any chance any of those changes are upsetting things?
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Mito [PL]

1. Judging by the sheer amount of people who reported this bug, this seems to be a problem in the mod itself, somehow.
2. Don't you also have the access to Tempests and the Prometheus R?
3. You can just tear out the mod folder from Freespace Open -> FS2 and insert it as a mod folder to the old manual installation of FSO. You will need to either create a mod.ini or use -mod flag under "Custom flags" to make FSO use Mantle, BPC and MediaVPs (you need to copy these over too).
4. Negative. This bug seems unrelated to key bindings.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

1) Yes, but a lot of people were able to play through to the end. How???
2) No, I do not have Prometheus R or Tempests as options on Mission 1. I can get to the loadout screen but my only options are the Akheton, which I’m already loaded with, and the Rockeye, which I was not. My initial secondary loadout is empty.
3) I’ll try that when I get a chance later today.
4) I figured it was a long shot, but worth mentioning.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan