Author Topic: Release: Launcher FS_OPEN Linux  (Read 19461 times)

Re: Release: Launcher FS_OPEN Linux
"I'm not sure what you're trying to convey here"
I use the translator only when i block. I would like to see you in french  :D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 08:50:12 pm by echantillon »

Offline ni1s

Nice work there I'm sure there's a lot of people who could use a linux-based launcher :)

One question though, not having the ability to actually check myself at the moment: Do you pull the text from a seperate file, or is it compiled in? It would be nice to have support for other languages (not the least, English), as while I know quite a few people here can actually get by when reading French, I'm sure there are equally many who can't. An external file would make it easy for anyone who feels like it (and has the language skills) to provide a translation which you could then distribute along with the rest.

Apparently there is gettext support in the code, so you can translate the .pot file to english(or whatever). Only problem is you need to find a French-to-English translator  :).

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
and taylor, if you're reading this, what's up with the up'n'coming launcher you mentioned earlier?
The new Launcher will be needed to go along with the large engine upgrade for options handling.  There will be almost no cmdline options any longer, they will all be moved to ini files.  Various ini options can be mod specific, and act in addition to, or override, other mod options which were specified in different ini files.  Also, an upgraded and cross-platform ini file for general settings will be used instead of the current fs2_open.ini format for Linux and OS X or the use of the registry for Windows.

I'm also taking the opportunity to fix some major design issues with the current Launcher.  The most visible of which will be usability.  The UI will be greatly simplified and only give you the basic options.  You will be able to setup profiles so that your favorite options can be activated by simply making a shortcut to the game exe with the "-profile <profile-name>" cmdline option.  Profiles will contain all options, including resolution and color depth, AA and AF settings as well as sound and speech settings.  So once you have your profiles setup you will hardly ever need use the Launcher again, only when you want to modify those settings or add a new profile.  Aside from the general setup options, everything else will be available through an "Advanced..." button in the launcher.  This will give you an interface a bit more similar to the current one, allowing you to adjust all options in detail.  The available options will still be advertised by the build, and it will now properly indicate variable type options (like -ambient_factor) in the launcher and give min/max/default values for you automatically.  The Launcher will automatically adjust the interface based on what the game advertises as available so that as options are added to, or removed from, the code the Launcher interface will include them as expected, automatically.

There will also be a hidden modders setup feature built into the Launcher.  This won't be of use to normal users, since you can't play the game through this interface, but it will allow modders to build custom profile.ini files to include with their mods.  This will allow them to set things that are default/required options which the user can't change, as well as things like minimums (like having to use 1024x768 or higher).  It will also allow runtime executable customization, so you can change things like the window title and use a particular userdir (such as having a window title of "Wing Commander Saga: Prologue" and a userdir of "${HOME}/.wcs_prologue").  This will allow a fair bit of engine customiztion on the part of mods, and TCs in particular, which would otherwise need custom binaries to accomplish.

These changes will mostly be just a stepping stone to allow the in-game configuration screen functionality, so that one would only need the launcher for the most advanced options.  So things like screen resolution, color depth, AA and AF settings, status of glow/spec/env/bump maps, etc. would just be settable in-game.  And except for screen resolution, color depth and the AA setting, all of the options will be changable without restarting the game.

There is no ETA for all of this.  There is a lot of engine work to be done before the actual Launcher can really get off of the drawing board (I have working prototypes, but have already redesigned several times).  Other things are currently more important too (like the new pilot file code for instance).  It is all slated for 3.7 though.

So... does that answer your question?  ;)

..snif!

While waiting, the launcher can be used by some people.... :(
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 09:53:05 pm by echantillon »

So, at me, is it 04H55.

I will sleep.

Good-bye  :°)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
While waiting, the launcher can be used by some people.... :(
It can be used by a LOT of people actually.  And it's a very welcome thing, even by me.  :D

The only issue for me is that I can't dedicate my time to working on a temporary solution for anything.  I just work on too much stuff for that to be possible.  At one point I did start on a cross-platform version of the current Launcher, to be used while I worked on the replacement, but I gave up when I realized that I was just wasting my time.  So I have always hinted that someone needs to make platform specific Launchers for Linux and OS X as well.  If you can take care of the Linux side, and someone just recently came up with something for the OS X side, then we're covered for the time being.  If someone did come up with a cross-platform Launcher to replace the current Windows-only Launcher, then that would be even better, but most people (coders) have frowned on that idea for some reason.

It will probably be a year before my new Launcher is in a state that it can be publicly released, so there is still a great need for something to be avialable now.  And the new Launcher won't work very well with old builds, if at all, so there will still be a significant need for a Launcher that was designed to work with current builds for several years to come. :)

ok, i am rassured.
I thought my launcher useless.

So, i made a mini release:

http://download.yousendit.com/C217AC7942A7B7E0 

Now multiplayer buttons have dependance. For example, that avoid to mix -closed with -restricted etc..

Offline nodens

• wiki is your friend
Mhm... It seems like the files have expired on yousendit.com. Maybe you should upload them somewhere else ? I'd be glad to test it, and help you with the translation if you need.

(if my English is better than yours, that is... Moi aussi c'est le français ma langue maternelle : :D )

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Mhm... It seems like the files have expired on yousendit.com. Maybe you should upload them somewhere else ?

www.mydatabus.com
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Jaydee

Can anyone upload this file elsewhere? If not, could someone please send the file to me and I will host it?

Offline tracker

It's ok
It's a beta version, and the developpement are stopped

code source here : http://www.toofiles.com/fr/oip/documents/tar.gz/anglais.html

I've 2 versions but in french sorry here: http://www.toofiles.com/fr/oip/documents/tar.gz/hodierna.html

PS: If you want to post any files , toofiles.com it's the best no register an 1giga max, your files are posted "for the life"