Author Topic: Not that I'm normally the sort of person to prod...  (Read 17503 times)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Re: Not that I'm normally the sort of person to prod...
I've offered help to get organised, and no comments? It seems you don't even want to work that out.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I'd think that it'd be the mod leaders who would decide whether or not to help ... try PMing/e-mailing the mod leaders?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Ive been trying to contact styxx for a very long time now(about a month) he just hasnt been online anywhere, E-mails might work, PM's are useless(unless tagged a "Youve got a private message" e-mail sent from the forums here)
I'm thinkin he will show up here soon, i dont think he just bailed on the project like that... if he did... how gay.
but yeah,i digest.  I hope this isnt the end of this mod, its been in the works for a way long ass time, shoot ive been here since the announcement of it, If Shadow really wants to take the reigns, we need to get all the materials together, and let him on board. If i had the neccessary skills i would try and help out, but i got way to frustrated with the fredding and never really learned anything about it.

Bottom line, i dont think anyone here wants this thing to go off the deep end.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I've offered help to get organised, and no comments? It seems you don't even want to work that out.
What can you really offer?

Offline DarkShadow-

• Machina Terra
Well, mission 15-19 are finished, except the parts that need additional files (e.g. background, voice). It's difficult to continue without the other stuff being finished, and I'm really starting to wonder where Styxx is...
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, isn't 'Eureka!' but rather 'hmm....that's funny.'" Isaac Asimov

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
[Styxx is in Brasil, right? j/k

The question was another: do you feel like completing the project even if Styxx comes back? Are you motivated and dedicated?/shadow]
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
What can you really offer?

Depends on what you really need and what's the situation?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well, first things first is figuring what still needs to be done...if you can't figure that out, its going nowhere...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Well, first things first is figuring what still needs to be done...if you can't figure that out, its going nowhere...

- Working on missions (most of them are at skeletal phase and needs to be worked out and get finished
- Models needed to be worked out a bit (Textures or making em to high poly etc)
-Cutscenes ( a quite few was planned
- More Sacrifices to Volcano god Sam

And stuff like that quite a lot actually need to be done to get this finished.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 05:48:13 pm by Gloriano »
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline DarkShadow-

• Machina Terra
- skyboxes and skybox textures
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, isn't 'Eureka!' but rather 'hmm....that's funny.'" Isaac Asimov

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
- Working on missions (most of them are at skeletal phase and needs to be worked out and get finished
- Models needed to be worked out a bit (Textures or making em to high poly etc)
-Cutscenes ( a quite few was planned
- More Sacrifices to Volcano god Sam

Ok for the models, but what about the missions and the cutscenes? They'd require tons of hours of work...are you considering the possibility of dividing the mod in parts and release them gradually?

Also, how are you going to solve the problems related to bad organisation within the team? That's a tough problem as well.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
INFASA's organisation within the team is rather good, from what I know, right Mobius? Maybe you could give them some hints, or help fix those problems?

And maybe MT could actually release a demo first? That way it'd attract more attention, and possibly some more help as well. Plus, positive comments would improve morale and motivate you all, MT team, to continue work on MT. Possibly even suggestions/constructive-criticism that could help enrich the campaign.

Models... Well, seems that there are good modellers doing personal/freelance work over the mod forums. You just gotta take some time to look through there. If you can't get new HTL models, then just ask texture artists for help. At worst- there's the ModDb to look through and get some help.

As for the cutscenes. There are loads of people who can make cutscenes, considering that it is hard to make them there are still quite a lot.

Mainly, I would ask Mobius or someone else from INFA ( or other larger mod ) to help with organisation problems, and possibly release some sort of demo to attract bigger attention, as it will be benefitial for everyone, and would get you motivated.

P.S. Making skyboxes it's kid's play if you got TrueSpace or 3DS Max and stuff to convert the formats to POF.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Well I've recently come up with the Labor Limae phase, basically what I consider the best way to organize a team(there could be better ways to do it around, I don't know how popular mods like BtRL and the FS Port are organized). Here's a little example(please note that grammar-checking might stand for anything concerning the texts, as it's pretty common to get the scripts ready even before FREDding the mission):

NOTES:

- The list is about all aspects of development.

- Check below for updates.

- A " *** " next to someone's nickname means that his task for that mission is nearly complete.

CAMPAIGN

Mission 1 -  "The Beginning"

FREDding assigned to: MEMBER 1***
Testing assigned to: MEMBER 2
Grammar-checking assigned to:

A few edits left. In need of grammar-checking.

FREDding: OK
Testing: IN PROGRESS
Grammar-checking: UNASSIGNED - URGENT

Mission 2 -  "The War Rages On"

The mission is yet to be FREDded. No one has been assigned to this mission

FREDding: TO DO - URGENT
Testing: TO DO
Grammar-checking: TO DO

Mission 3 -  "Stronghold Under Attack"

Current status of the mission is unknown. Please report it to the thread's creator.

FREDding: UNKNOWN
Testing: UNKNOWN
Grammar-checking: UNKNOWN

Mission 4 -  "Tremendous Casualties"

FREDding assigned to: MEMBER 3
Testing assigned to: MEMBER 3 - MEMBER 2
Grammar-checking assigned to: MEMBER 4***

Various bugs in the mission. The scripts are ready.

FREDding: IN PROGRESS - PRIORITY 1
Testing: IN PROGRESS - PRIORITY 1
Grammar-checking: OK

Mission 5 -  "Our World Is Gone"

FREDding assigned to: MEMBER 1***
Testing assigned to: MEMBER 2
Grammar-checking assigned to: MEMBER 4

FREDding complete but the mission hasn't been tested yet. The scripts should be checked as well.

FREDding: OK
Testing: IN PROGRESS - PRIORITY 1
Grammar-checking: PRIORITY 2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

<INSERT DATE>

STATUS CHANGE:
Scripts for m4 are ready.

Please inform the rest of the team if you find a copy of m3. With the recent <insert bad event here> Member X's version is lost. If you can't find it the mission should be redone from scratch.

-----

<INSERT DATE>

STATUS CHANGE:
New changes to the tables and the plot turned m4 into an old style, full of bugs mission. Its FREDding and testing status have been set to Priority 1.

ASSIGNMENTS:
m1 testing assigned to Member 2.

(and so on...)

MODELS

GTF Blackdragon

Current status of the mission is unknown. Please report it to the thread's creator.

Model: OK
Texturing: IN PROGRESS - PRIORITY 2
High-poly: UNASSIGNED - PRIORITY 1
In-game: UNKNOWN

(and so on...sorry for possible modelling inconsistencies, I'm not a modeller)

TEXTURES

(same setting as before, but specific for the case).

Similar schemes can be done for other aspects of development like "Cutscenes". Every section of the thread should have an UPDATE sub-section. The thread should be stickied and all members should be supposed to check it, report and/or volunteer for tasks.

The main purpose is to organize the team and focus on the priorities(red ---> purple ---> orange ---> blue, grey for unknown status). Everyone should know what the others are doing.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
We already had something like that, but it wasn't constantly updated. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Updating it it's the most important thing. If it's going to remain outdated then it would be better to remove it because it gets everyone confused.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
That's why it was going to be moved to a wiki format.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That's why it was going to be moved to a wiki format.
But that never went anywhere unfortunately.

And maybe MT could actually release a demo first? That way it'd attract more attention, and possibly some more help as well. Plus, positive comments would improve morale and motivate you all, MT team, to continue work on MT. Possibly even suggestions/constructive-criticism that could help enrich the campaign.
What we do not need is more help. We have an unmanageably huge team (most of which are lurkers or people who don't even have an account on HLP) which are making things worse. More help is not going to help the project at this stage. What we need is a simple and easy organization system to get things sorted out. For example, right now half of our missions exist only on 1 person's hard drive because they were in attachments.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Snail, really, can't you just organise like in INFA? Tell those people to register here, and to follow the organisation rules and all.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Too many people in the MT team? It would be a good time to check who's available and who's still interested on MT. There probably are people with the MT badge who are not going to work anymore on MT. It happens(there are many INF SCP badges and no one except for Woomeister working on INFA's old brother).
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Its also a good idea to kick out people who don't do anything/haven't done anything/won't do anything anymore...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================