Author Topic: MediaVPs 3.8 Discussion Thread  (Read 41620 times)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: MediaVPs 3.8 Discussion Thread
Uh, the 2014 release AKA 3.7.2 is newer than 3.6.12. I'm not sure what you mean by older models. In any case, you should only use one MediaVPs release at a time.

Amazing work. It's good to see the Hippocrates with a hi-poly model.  The new Leviathan model looks good too.

The new planets also look really good.

Are there any plans to update the asteroid base model on the second mission of the FS2 campaign ?

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened

The Boadicea has been started quite a while ago, but it's still missing textures and other things.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Mods may need to update their HUD table to ensure compatibility depending on how they implemented their own HUD upgrades.

What's the best way to do this?
Let's say I have a mod with its own custom hud_gauges.tbl, and I'm using the mediaVPs in my secondary mod list.
The mv_root-hdg.tbm gets parsed and all its HUD gauges are added on top of whatever is defined in hud_gauges.tbl, leading to a lot of duplicates.
One way around that I've found, is to add a $Ships entry to my hud_gauges.tbl, where I list all the flyable ships of my mod.

But is there a more "proper" way to override the mv_root-hdg.tbm ?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The other way is to include an empty mv_root-hdg.tbm in your mod.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
The other way is to include an empty mv_root-hdg.tbm in your mod.

Ah yes, that's much simpler. Thanks :yes:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

How does one go about incorporating these new assets into older campaigns? Is that feasible for an average FS2 modder?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I really wouldn't advise using MediaVPs 3.8.x with mods that haven't been updated by the author or someone who really knows what they are doing.

Is there a specific mod you are wanting to play with the new assets?

How does one go about incorporating these new assets into older campaigns? Is that feasible for an average FS2 modder?

That depends on what you want to do. According to the Changelog (in case it is complete), there shouldn't be something that breaks them compared to 2014 version. If you want to fix double HUD issues that could be here and there, you only have to remove the files for Axems HUD, what shouldn't be difficult either.

I really wouldn't advise using MediaVPs 3.8.x with mods that haven't been updated by the author or someone who really knows what they are doing.

Is there a specific mod you are wanting to play with the new assets?

It'd be nice to see how Freespace 2 Blue looks with the new assets, but I'm not in any rush.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Actually i have to ask, if this an oversight or is there a reason why the MVP 3.8.1 nebula.tbl got rid of the nbackblack entry?

I mean, orange nebula is also a nice color, pink would be even nicer as shown here <3

But i would still prefer to have the option of a black dark dust cloud like in Retail, too ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 04:09:33 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I didn't touch the nebula stuff in 3.8 as far as I know.

edit: confirmed. nebula.tbl hasn't been modified since 2013.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 10:05:11 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
edit: confirmed. nebula.tbl hasn't been modified since 2013.

:lol:

Actually that is really funny. Then it seems that i played mods with their own nebula.tbl or it was still with the MediaVPs_3612 as i played a mission with such nebula. Not sure.

As i remember a black nebula i actually searched through the forums for hours... and then i stumped on the wiki entry, that it should be already part of the retail files... and it is :D
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Try it with the latest nightly, apparently it was an issue with FSO and not the mediavps.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Just made an account to say the new update looks FANTASTIC! I absolutely love it.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Fantastic work guys, much appreciated! I thought Retail FS2 looked bloody amazing when I first played it back in 2000, but this is some next gen stuff right here :-) The new leviathan is superb, since it is no longer a re-skinned Fenris, and can now be easily identified from a distance. Perhaps doing likewise with the Cain / Lilith next?  ;)

I'm getting the double hud bug on some mods. As such, I have a few questions about what to do about it. I suspect other players would also benefit from knowing this.

1 - Is there a completely noob friendly way to fix it, with an idiot proof step by step guide instructions for FRED virgins like me? ;-)

2 - In lieu of that, can the new VPs be added without the updated hud, if so how?

3 - Would uninstalling the new vps completely solve the problem for the time being?

4 - I have been told that each mod will need to be fixed individually by it's devs to make them compatible with the new VPs. Is there a list/thread etc showing which mods have been updated? If not, how would we go about creating one?

Many thanks in advance :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

The problem is for mods that have their own custom hud elements in a table named something other than mv_root-hdg.tbm. In that case, the custom HUD gets loaded instead of the retail HUD and then the MVPs hud is added onto the custom HUD, resulting in double HUD gauges.

The fix is trivial but the bigger problem is that many mods which haven't received a proper MVPS 3.8 update are automatically set up to use the newest version of the MVPs. So even if it's easy to fix the HUD error you might run into some harder to fix errors later resulting from table-pof discrepancies or other MVPS 3.8 updates that the mod didn't account for.

If you're sure you want the manual fix anyway here's what you need to do. Create a new text file, leave it empty and rename it mv_root-hdg.tbm

BE EXACT. Then take that empty table and put it into a mod's data/tables folder. If you're on Knossos put it inside any package's data/tables folder but NOT the main data/tables folder. Actually, don't put anything in the "main" mod folder, ever. on Knossos. ALL of the stuff goes inside the individual package subfolders.

If data/tables doesn't exist just create new folders and rename them.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
If you're sure you want the manual fix anyway here's what you need to do. Create a new text file, leave it empty and rename it mv_root-hdg.tbm

BE EXACT. Then take that empty table and put it into a mod's data/tables folder. If you're on Knossos put it inside any package's data/tables folder but NOT the main data/tables folder. Actually, don't put anything in the "main" mod folder, ever. on Knossos. ALL of the stuff goes inside the individual package subfolders.

If data/tables doesn't exist just create new folders and rename them.
For any mod developers who are reading this, the "empty" mv_root-hdg.tbm file can't really be empty.  It needs at least a single space or something else that FSO won't interpret as game data.  If you create a completely empty file, when packed into a VP file, it will be treated as a folder.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

That really only applies if you're a dev since Knossos automatically packages .vps. For a 'personal' fix you can leave it as a loose file.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

I just heard about the new MediaVP release and decided to install these new MediaVPs using the traditional Folder/mod.ini method instead of Knossos.

1) I performed a fresh installation of FreeSpace2 from my retail disks and then patched it to 1.02 using the Volition-provided patch. (I already have OpenAL installed)

2) I downloaded the MediaVPs_38x/mod.ini from the main page, placed it in my Freespace2 folder and then downloaded and unpacked the actual MediaVP .7z files into that MediaVPs_38x folder as per the instructions.

3) I downloaded and unpacked the FSO 3.8.0 x64 build with AVX support into my Freespace2 directory.

4) I installed the WCX Launcher 0.12.4 and pointed it to the FS2Open files I unpacked into my Freespace2 directory, and selected MediaVPs_38x as my mod.

Launching the game produces the following error:

Code: [Select]
Error: game_settings.tbl(line 2):
Error: Missing required token: [#END], Found [$Target.Version] instead.

File: parselo.cpp
Line: 290

This error occurred regardless of which Advanced Features were selected. To test the FreeSpace2 Open installation, I unpacked my prior MediaVPs_2014 folder and selected it as the current mod in the launcher, and the game started just fine using the older MediaVP pack. I don't believe this to be a hardware issue, but...

Running Hardware: AMD Ryzen 2700X (stock clock) on Asus Crosshair VI using UEFI 6201, 2x8G RAM @3200, AMD Radeon RX480 8G (stock clock)

Running Software: Windows 10 Pro 1803 x64 (all Windows Updates applied), OpenAL 2.07, AMD Adrenaline 18.8.2