Author Topic: Question about a medal  (Read 4136 times)

Question about a medal
What medal goes in the circular slot in the top center of the medal case? And how do you get it? It's the only one that is a circle, it's nudged between/under the rank and ace medals. I've been searching online for a while now, and surprised (and frustrated) that I am unable to answer this question! >.<

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Question about a medal
Play Silent Threat: Reborn to find out. ;)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Oh, okay! But won't the rest of the medals I got in FSPort be gone when I do that?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
You can use the same pilot between the two campaigns, so no.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Hmm, I'm using the same pilot, but the medals only appear when I have Great War campaign selected.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Unfortunately your pilots stats, including medals, are campaign specific. So you probably can't get the entire medal case filled at the same time (without modding or otherwise messing around with the internals of FSO)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What medal goes in the circular slot in the top center of the medal case? And how do you get it? It's the only one that is a circle, it's nudged between/under the rank and ace medals. I've been searching online for a while now, and surprised (and frustrated) that I am unable to answer this question! >.<

If you mean the one that is not completely a circle but has squarish bits sticking out to the left and right (kind of like Saturn's rings), that is the Wings medal.  It is awarded when you complete the training missions.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I think he means this. (oddly enough my installation of FS2 and FSO is quite old on this rig... strange how I don't have any medals.)

Unfortunately your pilots stats, including medals, are campaign specific. So you probably can't get the entire medal case filled at the same time (without modding or otherwise messing around with the internals of FSO)

Since when? I've swapped between campaigns before and had the same medals. :wtf: Hell, I've done it with FSPort and ST:R.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I think he means this. (oddly enough my installation of FS2 and FSO is quite old on this rig... strange how I don't have any medals.)

Whoops, you're very likely correct.  I was looking at the non-MVP medal case.

Since when? I've swapped between campaigns before and had the same medals. :wtf: Hell, I've done it with FSPort and ST:R.
Since 3.7.0 I believe, that's when the new pilot code went in.

Thanks for all the information! Much appreciated :)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

yeah, that, although I haven't double checked the code to be sure.  I know that ~stats~ are certainly per campaign since I was trying to figure out ways to display the "all time" stats which are recorded in the plr file rather than in the csg files (but gave up because it'd require interface changes, or an undocumented key-stroke to switch between per-campaign & all-time).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

yeah, that, although I haven't double checked the code to be sure.  I know that ~stats~ are certainly per campaign since I was trying to figure out ways to display the "all time" stats which are recorded in the plr file rather than in the csg files (but gave up because it'd require interface changes, or an undocumented key-stroke to switch between per-campaign & all-time).
Having checked the code, medal unlocks are indeed treated like all other stats (or, to be more precise, they're treated like kills); there's an all-time set stored in the PLR file, and a per-campaign set stored in the CSG file. Like all all-time stats, they'll initially be loaded into the player's current set of stats, but then immediately be overwritten: either by the campaign-specific set when the CSG is loaded, or reset to initial values if there's no CSG file to load (making one wonder what the point of loading the all-time stats into the player stats is in the first place).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmm, when I was neck deep in the medals case creation, I was under the impression that medals of matching names (strings) would carry across campaigns. So if your pilot got a GTVA Alliance medal in the main campaign, then switched to a mod that had the same medal, you would already have the medal. But if you switched to a mod without that particular medal, it wouldn't show up at all.

Seems like I was incorrect?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Hmm, when I was neck deep in the medals case creation, I was under the impression that medals of matching names (strings) would carry across campaigns. So if your pilot got a GTVA Alliance medal in the main campaign, then switched to a mod that had the same medal, you would already have the medal. But if you switched to a mod without that particular medal, it wouldn't show up at all.

Well, even within the same mod, if you switch campaigns (for example, from Great War to Operation Templar or Silent Threat,) the medals are set to whatever you achieved in that campaign only.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

That's how the all-time stats medal vector works, but there's no way to actually look at your all-time stats in-game.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.