Author Topic: Freespace 2 mod awards (inspired by the Steam awards)  (Read 1207 times)

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Freespace 2 mod awards (inspired by the Steam awards)
As the title implies, I'd be interested in hearing other members' opinions on the mods that best fit these categories.  I know we have Batutta's campaign guide, but I'm interested in a different perspective, which I think this provides.
Here are mine (but remember that I'm fairly new and I haven't played a lot of the older highly-rated mods).

The “The World Is Grim Enough Let's Just All Get Along” Award
Games delight and entertain us, giving us much needed breaks from the sorrows and low points of our lives… and let’s be honest, for a lot of people it’s been a rough 2017. That is why the SASC has chosen to celebrate a game that doesn’t involve combat or conflict.
JAD: XA.  Choosing a game without conflict is pretty hard (for obvious reasons) but JAD: XA fits the best here.

The “Choices Matter” Award
Games are about agency, and this award is for the game that has it in spades. Maybe it’s because there are 31 ways you can breach into a villains lair. Perhaps there are dozens of potential partners for you to build a romantic future with. Or maybe you find yourself constantly saying “Where oh where should I plant those turnips”? In all three scenarios there is a common bond: the choice was always yours.
Beyond the Red Line.  This was difficult between WIH and BtRL.  I may be swayed by the fact that I know BtRL's missions much better, since there are only two of them, but the amount of in-mission branching and the effect it had on not only the debriefing but the next mission swung the balance.

The “Haunts My Dreams” Award
This award is slightly a misnomer, because this game doesn’t just haunt your dreams. It consumes your thoughts every waking moment of the day. This game doesn’t demand your time. You give it willingly.
Diaspora.  I've replayed this campaign so much and will continue to do so.

The “Mom’s Spaghetti” Award
There are games that make you excited. There are games that make you happy. Then there are games so intense that they elicit a physical reaction. We’re talking weak knees. We’re talking sweaty palms. We’re talking fear-induced accidents. We’re talking your friends reminding you to breathe. We’re talking about mom’s spaghetti.
Transcend.  I'm not sure what I can say other than if you've played it, you know.

The “No Apologies” Award
This award is for the game that you love unconditionally. Does it have some faults? Maybe. Do other people not understand your love for it? Sure. But make no mistake. There is no guilt here. Only pleasure.
Wing Commander Saga.  I've seen the criticisms and they are hard to refute, but I still really enjoy this game.

The “Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War” Award
The Bard said it best. This game doesn't necessarily offer the biggest explosions... it offers something better. Potential. Potential to be a rampaging force of nature. Or not. Who knows. You're an agent of chaos and no one is going to tell you what to do.
BP AoA.  I replayed this recently and was surprised at how many of the missions are just playable cutscenes.  Nonetheless, it's clearly well thought out and is a great precursor to WIH.

The “Suspension of Disbelief” Award
Let’s be honest: games can have some pretty ridiculous elements in them… from the stories that drive the action, to the items required to conquer obstacles, to even the protagonists themselves. This award is for the game that has a key component, which when described out of context, seems totally insane, but while playing the game doesn’t even make you bat an eye, because in the moment it makes total sense.
JAD 2.22.  Nothing in JAD makes sense but in the JAD "universe" everything makes total sense.

The “Soul Of Vitruvius” Award
The Vitruvian Man was Leonardo’s celebration of the ideal form. And in that spirit the SASC looks to celebrate the game with the most lovingly rendered character… be it human, alien, anthropomorphic cat people, or even a piece of produce.
BP WIH.  The character development here is pretty clearly the greatest.

The “Defies Description” Award
This game is like... well actually it's more similar to...picture a combination of... ya know what, I can't describe it, just play it.
Windmills.

The “Labor of Love” Award
This game has been out for a while. The team is well past the first unveiling of their creative baby, but being the good parents they are, these devs continue to nurture and support their creation. This game, to this day, is still getting new content after all these years.
Since I can't say HLP as a whole, JAD 2 series.

The “Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0” Award
The Academy wasn't clear enough in the awards description last year. Let's try this again. This award is for the “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” of video games.
Sync.  Hands down the most confused I've ever been playing a mod.

The “Even Better Than I Expected” Award
We’ve all been there. You get super excited for a game, you pre-order it, and you anxiously wait as it downloads. Then you finally play it. How do you feel now? If the answer is “Elated beyond words because even I, a conductor aboard the hype train, was blown away with how good this thing was” then you have found the perfect candidate for this award.
JAD 2.21.  I heard it was good; I got one of the best and most fun mods I've ever played and likely will ever play.

The “Write-In” Award
You are a member of the Award Selection Committee and your voice needs to be heard! What additional category needs to be added for the 2017 steam awards? Best Use Of A Lighthouse (or flying sink)? Best Game To Play While Listening To The Hamilton Soundtrack? The only limit is your imagination (and a vague sense of decency)!
Best soundtrack
Vassago's Dirge.  Perfect use of music.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Freespace 2 mod awards (inspired by the Steam awards)
Good to see some JAD appreciation.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

The “Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War” Award

Now this would be very fitting for Dimensional Eclipse  :cool:

The World Is Grim Enough Let's Just All Get Along: Nothing.

Choices Matter: BTA: Slaves of Chaos.

Haunts My Dreams: Disapora.

Mom’s Spaghetti: Trancend.

No Apologies: Wing Commander Saga. (oooo Drama)

Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War: Vassago's Dirge.

Suspension of Disbelief: Ridiculousness

Soul Of Vitruvius: BP War in Heaven, Begrudgingly.

Defies Description: Windmills, iz pretty cool yo.

Labor of Love: I dunno. (Does WIH or Freespace Port: Silent Threat count?)

Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0: Sync

Even Better Than I Expected: The Procyon Insurgency.

Write-In: Derelict; Muh Subspace.