Author Topic: ship pop up  (Read 2125 times)

I just downloaded the installer for the most recent ver of mediavp's or whatever and it works fine and everything, but when I'm playing a mission I'm noticing that I can't see capital ships at all when there far away but when I close the distance it will just pop up from thin air.  The computer targets the ship fine even when I can't physically see it.  I get the same problem with fighters too, but I can see their thruster trail.  Any suggestions?  Specs:

AMD 1.6 GHZ
GEFORCE FX 5200 256mb ram
512 ram
120 gig hard drive

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Sounds like a LOD problem to me.

I'd suggest you wipe out the caches* first to get rid of any possibly corrupted IBX files. Then check that you have the FS2's own graphics settings maxed out. You could also try re-downloading the mv_models.vp file. Other than that, I can't help, but those that can will need to know some things, like:

-what build (executable) are you using?
-does this behaviour extend to retail also? Meaning, if you disable the MediaVP mod folder, do the ships still pop up at certain LOD distance?

*Caches are directories in game/mod folders where temporary data is stored to speed up loading times. Sometimes the files get corrupt. The relevant caches here would be

../Freespace2/data/cache/

and

/Freespace2/mediavps/data/cache/

Get rid of those (the game will automatically re-generate them, so no worries :)) and try again.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

I deleted both caches but it still does the same thing.  I'm using the most recent build of SCP (3.6.9 i think it is...).  It doesn't happen with the orignal fs2.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Hmm, the powers that be haven't responded yet, so I'm gonna continue the guessing game.

Perhaps it's something related to textures? Try experimenting different graphics options. Turn mipmapping on/off, check that JPG/TGA textures are selected... and while you're at it, post your command line here in case someone sees the topic, they're gonna need it to define what's going wrong.

Hope you get the problem solved soon.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Run the debug build. If missing textures are the cause it will complain about them.

Post the first 20 lines of FS.log as well as that will show us which VPs got parsed.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Enabling the jpeg/tga textures fixed the problem, thanks!   Thanks for your help guys!