Author Topic: The Other Sathanas  (Read 74486 times)

Offline Raiden

• Vassago's Dirge fanboy
    • Ministry of Truth
Hey, sometimes something just doesn't 'work' for some people, and there's not much more to it than that. Most of the people here love it and that's about the most you could hope for.
/logic/reason/faith/tradition/knowledge/rhythm/space/religion/
Currently Playing: Dead Space 3
Eagerly Awaiting: Titanfall
I write for god is in the tv. I blog at Ministry of Truth.

I wouldn't say TrashMan's critique was without merit. I think what he's saying is that the red glows don't really reflect what is happening with the model. They form a pattern on the surface and break up the form underneath. The effect is in a way similar to camouflage. So instead of emphasizing crevasses and the shapes of the model, they obscure and hide them. They flatten out the model. With a mesh as detailed as yours you want to show off all the work.

Consider it a postmortem. Instead of going back into the Sath, TrashMan's critique could be considered for future models. When you make your Rakshasa you could consider how the textures affect the model. You could darken low areas, and bring out high areas with lighter colours. The glowy red bits could serve to describe elements on the ship.

Glowing Red is like a person shouting and waving their hands. It draws attention, and if you use it sparingly it maximizes it's effect. If there's a person shouting something different on every street corner it loses its effect. But if there's only one person shouting then you notice the car wreck next to him.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I understand what you are saying, but that is not what he said, it's what you said...

And Raiden, I am more then grateful for what people have said, but asking Trashman to clarify why he made the claims he did is not exactly out of the realm of reason. Maybe the statement of what I suspected his motives for saying them was, but let's face it: I was not alone in that conclusion.

Not sure why I bother repeating myself, but here goes: I never said it was without merit... I said the precise opposite. What I did say was that the particular word choice/description did not depict anything... He made claims of no rhyme or reason, but yet could not provide any reason for any Shivan glow map on any model.

The issue I have is that, even if I do what you say and apply it to the next model, there is nothing to apply, because he could not be more specific... Because his commentary was more to serve himself then anything else.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:09:06 am by Rga_Noris »
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
I think there is a bug with this model. In the mission Bearbaiting, you are supposed to destroy the Forward Flak Cannons as a secondary objective, and the best way to do that would be using Trebuchet Torpedos. The problem is that the impact is not recognized, the Cannons stay at 100% despite being frontally hit by two Trebuchets at the same time. The only way to actually damage it is from behind the cannons, so you have to fly colliding to the Sathanas while your missile locks.
Potato!

I think there is a bug with this model. In the mission Bearbaiting, you are supposed to destroy the Forward Flak Cannons as a secondary objective, and the best way to do that would be using Trebuchet Torpedos. The problem is that the impact is not recognized, the Cannons stay at 100% despite being frontally hit by two Trebuchets at the same time. The only way to actually damage it is from behind the cannons, so you have to fly colliding to the Sathanas while your missile locks.

Even the original Sathanas model had an issue there: the barrels of the flak cannons would block the trebuchets, but not contribute toward damage of the turret. You would have to fire trebs at an angle (usually from slightly below the barrels) to score a hit on the turret itself. Are you sure that's not the same problem here?

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Might be. It's been a looong time since I played the campaign and I didn't remember encountering that problem, so I assumed it was the new model.
Potato!

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I hated Bearbaiting because of the Trebuchet issue, and the Helios doesn't do full damage at some angles either. It turned a somewhat simple mission into a more frantic hope-you-angled-it-right-and-hope-it-blows-up headache.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Head-on apply directly to the foreheadapproach seems to give the best probability of dual Helios doing maximum damage, whereas firing them from a pursuing angle seems to do only half damage.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?