Author Topic: WIP GTSG Alastor  (Read 16165 times)

Here is what I have so far.

Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Stuff like this is tricky, since often normal maps represent a more efficient way to get your detail in on scales this small. Personally, I'd increase the number of sides on that cylindrical bit, and make the actual turret submodel more detailed, but save a lot of the notches and terraced bits for the normal map - possibly generated from the existing model?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Wonderfully detailed, definitely sticks with the presentation of the texture.

Yours seems to be a right angle squared. Which I don't personally have a problem with, but the (Retail) model seems to be more of a non-square X shape rather than a + shape.
I'd maybe suggest, as there are supposed to be two weapons platforms, make another one that is slightly more rectangular/X shaped and we can use one as the Cerberus.

I also hope the central thickness is the same too. I can also agree with BW on the maybe detailing the turret a little bit more, but I'm definitely interested in knowing the current poly count. I'd also say don't worry just yet about removing any of the currently modeled details until it's UV'ing time (which will probably be after in-game testing time).

Are you looking to UV this yourself?
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie

I'd maybe suggest, as there are supposed to be two weapons platforms, make another one that is slightly more rectangular/X shaped and we can use one as the Cerberus.
Um... sorry, but the Alastor has no alternate version.  The Cerberus is the better armed, identical brother of the Watch Dog, both of which are from FS1 and bare no (close) resemblance to the Alastor.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Really? Did I derp that hard? Okay then, nevermind. I f'ing hate cold and flu season.

So yeah, the turret could use some touching up. Something maybe like the turret on the nuMedusa. And so long as it has the same general thickness, I'm happy with the progress.

So, did anybody ever do the Watchdog/Cerberus? I know ours looks different than the retail one in some aspects, but it could use an overhaul as well.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I think to the exception of the guns themselves the Watchdog / Cerberus is still the Retail model.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Really? Did I derp that hard? Okay then, nevermind. I f'ing hate cold and flu season.
No biggie.  We all brain-fart every now and then.

So, did anybody ever do the Watchdog/Cerberus? I know ours looks different than the retail one in some aspects, but it could use an overhaul as well.
I recall that someone began working on one a few years back, but it never materialized.  I don't recall who was making it, but I believe that they dropped out of the community after a short while.  The only upgrade that our current one has over retail is the textures.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well perhaps after this one is complete.. rscaper might want to take a go at those two?  :)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Here's a little more work on the turret. I got the central thickness correct but I'm still kicking myself for not noticing the middle was a diamond not a square. I was just eyeballing it from a movie I made from the lab. Maybe I'll try a new model once this is done and see which looks better.

I am going to try and UV this myself even though I'm still learning the ropes. So it could take awhile.

Edit: Oh yeah, right now the poly count is around 2.3k.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:33:57 pm by rscaper1070 »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I think you should understand a bit better what a gun looks like when situated in a turret. The rotational point would be within the slotted section, not on it. The gun must not only exist within the turret housing, but have enough space to, in many cases, rotate beneath the housing and into the hull of the vessel it's mounted to. Try to find the cross section of a modern warship's turret sometime if you can. For more immediate results:

"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think to the exception of the guns themselves the Watchdog / Cerberus is still the Retail model.
Nope, both textures and the model have been updated, though textures could use some work. The mesh is badly smoothed, but it's slightly better than retail.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wrong, both textures and the model have been updated, though textures could use some work. The model is badly smoothed, but it's slightly better than retail.

Why do I hear this tone when reading this post? Pro advice: Tact = win.

In other news.. Thaeris makes a decent point about the turret housing. Another thing to look into is if that turret can/should rotate. (Can't remember) If it should, you might consider making the base (the platform under the turret housing) more round?

All in all, though, this is progressing nicely. Keep it up. If you need any tips/help with UVing (or anything else for that matter), drop into scp-fsu IRC and we'll help you out.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Should be better now.
As for Alastor, it's looking great so far.

Right now it feels like a low poly model, made with lots of polygons. I find that what really sets a good high poly apart from a retail is the overall shape of the model. It can't just be the original silhouette with bits and pieces tacked on to increase the poly count. It has to be fundamentally more complex.

For instance, long sharp edges and points. Those are almost exclusively found in low poly models. In the your case, the Alastor has four very flat, unshaped panels meeting up with its reflection on the bottom. In the low poly model, this was because each panel was essentially one polygon. In your version yours doesn't have to stay with that simple shape. In fact it's vital that you alter shape. You need to prove to the audience that it is no longer a low poly model, and it has taken a big step away from simple shapes and a big step towards realism.

The little tidbits stuck on like cherries on a cake can be made with a normal map.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Right now it feels like a low poly model, made with lots of polygons. I find that what really sets a good high poly apart from a retail is the overall shape of the model. It can't just be the original silhouette with bits and pieces tacked on to increase the poly count. It has to be fundamentally more complex.

For instance, long sharp edges and points. Those are almost exclusively found in low poly models. In the your case, the Alastor has four very flat, unshaped panels meeting up with its reflection on the bottom. In the low poly model, this was because each panel was essentially one polygon. In your version yours doesn't have to stay with that simple shape. In fact it's vital that you alter shape. You need to prove to the audience that it is no longer a low poly model, and it has taken a big step away from simple shapes and a big step towards realism.

The little tidbits stuck on like cherries on a cake can be made with a normal map.

I'm sorry, but this post was way too critical and negative considering the quality of work here. If I were a new modeller, I'd probably just give up at this point. On a more subjective note, I find your criticism baseless when comparing to the retail mesh. (See below)

This is a simple gun platform for one thing. The suggestion that it must "prove that it is no longer a low poly model" has easily been met. Also, all the little tidbits can be done with a normal map... but with a lot less realism. I tend to see these things up close all the time for one reason or another. The modelled details are a nice touch. Normal maps for that kind of detail usually don't sell as well at super close range (and at low angles).

Furthermore.. "In the your case, the Alastor has four very flat, unshaped panels meeting up with its reflection on the bottom" I've tried multiple times to find the geometry on the new mesh that you are trying to critique here...

Also, I found this post to be generally condescending with a lot of generic "here's how to model" advice as if your philosophy is best. I would like to encourage more specific suggestions for improving the mesh in question and less "I find that what really sets a good high poly apart from a retail is the overall shape of the model" and "It has to be fundamentally more complex" stuff. The sentence "In fact it's vital that you alter shape" is straight up untrue and up to the modeller. In fact, major changes to the shape start to affect mission balance which is something we consider in FSU. It does it less so with smaller models, but exponentially more with the larger ones.

Finally, I am more and more adamant that we need to see a higher quality of posts in these critique threads. I've pointed out a few example posts in the past that did it well. A simple guideline: If everything about your critique is negative, then you are probably doing it wrong.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

A little more progress. I tried out BW's idea but I felt it looked really bulbous and weird so I cut out the center part that I did like and put that in. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the body yet. I'm guessing it's supposed to be some kind of station keeping thrusters so I was thinking maybe a triple head thruster nozzle or something like that.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Looking good. I like it. Aside from trying to slot the barrels a bit more on the turret itself, there really isn't much left that I can think of to be done here.

Though, I do have some suggestions. They don't carry any particular weight to them, so consider them as me "thinking out loud" here, but here they are:

1: Flip these two support struts around, but leave the other two. This provides a semblance of architectural cross-bracing.
     A very minor variation to its detailing that I think might add a nice touch to it.

2: These are just fine being flat, but I wonder what they might look like if they were beveled in, or curve-extruded.
     The beveled would be cheaper poly wise, and I don't think beveled OUT would be a good idea.
     Further idea: maybe only bevel in the ones that are not marked by suggestion 1?

3: An octagon "base" or surrounding plate/ring might help here and then you can drop the form fitting surrounding at the base of the turret itself, this may help it look more "natural".

¤[D+¬>

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It seems to me also that this model, as previously-mentioned, uses 90 degree angles to separate the 4 sides, but the original is supposed to have 2 acute angles and 2 obtuse angles.  You may have done this, but the viewing angles make them look like all right angles.

I'm sorry, but this post was way too critical and negative considering the quality of work here. If I were a new modeller, I'd probably just give up at this point. On a more subjective note, I find your criticism baseless when comparing to the retail mesh. (See below)

This is a simple gun platform for one thing. The suggestion that it must "prove that it is no longer a low poly model" has easily been met. Also, all the little tidbits can be done with a normal map... but with a lot less realism. I tend to see these things up close all the time for one reason or another. The modelled details are a nice touch. Normal maps for that kind of detail usually don't sell as well at super close range (and at low angles).

Furthermore.. "In the your case, the Alastor has four very flat, unshaped panels meeting up with its reflection on the bottom" I've tried multiple times to find the geometry on the new mesh that you are trying to critique here...

Also, I found this post to be generally condescending with a lot of generic "here's how to model" advice as if your philosophy is best. I would like to encourage more specific suggestions for improving the mesh in question and less "I find that what really sets a good high poly apart from a retail is the overall shape of the model" and "It has to be fundamentally more complex" stuff. The sentence "In fact it's vital that you alter shape" is straight up untrue and up to the modeller. In fact, major changes to the shape start to affect mission balance which is something we consider in FSU. It does it less so with smaller models, but exponentially more with the larger ones.

Finally, I am more and more adamant that we need to see a higher quality of posts in these critique threads. I've pointed out a few example posts in the past that did it well. A simple guideline: If everything about your critique is negative, then you are probably doing it wrong.

Obviously counting isn't everyone's strong suit :) Here, let me illustrate:

Heh, there's isn't much on the alastor, so you must not have looked very hard. As for the rest of my comments, rscaper1070 seems to know how to model. So I critique the form and style, and not the particulars of the geometry like triangles. When I say you have to prove that it's high poly, I mean that the overall mesh needs to be different enough that a viewer can tell right away. Not once they get up close and come to a stand still.

It would look something like this (but this is just a quick idea, it can really be anything):

And hey, it's your party rscaper1070 , so model how you want to. But please consider what I'm suggesting.

Offline Kolgena

^Looks very protoss. Also, do you own a tablet? Because that's some decent drawing.

I've always sort of imagined the Alastor to fold up somehow when not deployed. The four arms on the side look like they could fold in to leave a box-like shape conducive to shoving in some storage compartment on a corvette or destroyer. If that's sort of the impression that you have too, then a couple hinges here and there could make for some nice decoration.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:32:34 pm by Kolgena »