Author Topic: RELEASE: Mission 1 and Screenies  (Read 6613 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
RELEASE: Mission 1 and Screenies
After homesick you are talking about mission balance? :wtf:
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
Originally posted by TopAce
After homesick you are talking about mission balance? :wtf:

Yep.

That was my first campaign, you know. Bound to suck. A while back, too...

Besides, the path of the modder is one of constant improvement. What, would you rather I lie to Tin Can? What would that achieve?

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
They are friendly suggestions :)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Of course I dont want you to lie. I'll be happy to make ajustments as they come.

But, the reason for throwing the player right into mission 1 is because its just that: your forces HAVE no idea what is going on or why anything is happening. You are imediately deployed into the field to face the enemy who is attacking you. In mission 2 you recieve a command briefing regarding everything that has happened over the past 7 hours or so after contact with enemy forces.

But, if its too hard, then play it on a lower difficulty setting. :D

But, its my first campaign too, so I'll see what I can do.

ANYWAY, here is a version of mission 2. You can tell me what is wrong with it and I will go back and fix it. I thought it was too easy because even I managed to beat it. Its still going to be a chaotic mission, but the briefing will tell you exactly how they plan the operation and how it will run.

http://swooh.com/peon/tincan/freespace2/Mission%202.fs2

I suggest you get all of Lightspeed's nebulas, since I'll be using them all in the campaign as you switch the battlefields.

On the notion of the size of the station's crew: havent you noticed that simple Argo transports, the sizes that they are, can carry hundreds of people? And I mean literaly hundreds? (thats what they say at least)

The Elysium class transport can carry an entire tech team and her security staff. Thats about 50 people. Give or take. Now, lets say the escape pods hold about 30 people each, given the relative size in comparison to Freespace's Universe. That is 240 people. Now, you dont need much to run a forward outpost. Some observation crew (About 10 people) some scientists (Maybe 20 to 30) some security staff (Maybe 50) and the rest to man the guns and do... well what else? Engineers, the cooking staff... not much when you think about it.

But, if I had a smaller model to use, I would use it. Arcadia is about the only damned thing I have that resembles a station.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 02:17:31 pm by 1718 »

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
Okay. 'Course, this is all just what I think... you make the campaign you want to. What I or anybody else thinks of it is secondary to making what *you* want to make.

But, the reason for throwing the player right into mission 1 is because its just that: your forces HAVE no idea what is going on or why anything is happening.

Fair enough. I just feel that at the moment, it is halfway between 'established conflict' and 'major surprise', especially given the recent good relations between the Terrans and Vasudans. An in-mission twist would have a stronger effect than simply springing it on the player in a standard mission briefing.

But perhaps Mission 2 will make it a stronger opening. Alas, the problems of releasing individual missions for evaluation!

(Also, consider renaming the mission file to be something that is identifiably yours or your campaign's, like TC_SE01 or something. As is, you might accidently overwrite some aspiring FREDders first mission :( )

But, if its too hard, then play it on a lower difficulty setting.

Unfortunately, the converse of that argument is that if it is too easy, play it on Hard - and thus, Medium should form the perfect balance and not end up with everyone dead and the player getting pounded from all sides. 'Course, you might want to make another Aeos Affair, and that's fine - I would upgrade Alpha and Beta a little, however, with better AI or something. But, again, that's me, and not you.

This is mainly a matter of not showing up the poor wingman AI rather than anything else, though.

But, if I had a smaller model to use, I would use it. Arcadia is about the only damned thing I have that resembles a station.

Fair enough. I stand... uh, rebuffed or whatever it is, on that point.

Perhaps I should take a moment to indicate that while I can criticise the mission, I can also praise it. I think JR2000Z said it best - it's a solid mission, and it doesn't suck, certainly not in my eyes. Is fun, is fun. Personally, though, I figure it could be improved - like all things, no?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 02:20:59 pm by 1432 »

I shall improve it. Dont get me wrong, I take all critisism into consideration and I will play on that critisism. Thanks Blaise. :nod: :yes:

Anyhow, I think I should explain some of the names on the ships:

Xulu - runs as primary fighter wings in the field. These wings are usually comprised of the norm for the enemy's fighters.

Xex - Bomber wings are given this call sign.

Guardian - the primary name for an enemy wing whos obvious order is to guard a target or another wing.

Keeper - the secondary name for wings who guard a target, only this is given to the smaller assortments of enemy fighters or bombers.

Tora - the enemy wing designed to wreak havok on the opposing force. They have no clear order: just attack anything on sight.

==Names after Names=

Fi - the primary version of that wing
Phi - the secondary version of that wing
Psi - the secondary version for a bomber wing, or the third version of a fighter wing
Ti - the third version for that bomber wing or the fourth for a fighter wing.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 02:39:55 pm by 1718 »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
As far as I know, Fi and Ti do not exist in the Greek alphabet, and I am not sure if Psi exists, too.
You can simply name hostile wings as Aries, Pisces, Cancer, Libra or any other Zodiac signs.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Oh but that's so old fasioned. :p

Besides, who says I was using the Greek Alphabet and some-such? It's just short phrases put after names which classify the type of name. I've played Freespace 2 for a while and after they say "Eliminate Cancer wing" I dont know if its a bomber wing, a fighter wing, a wing of flying elephants, (hey, those elephants could fly out of NOWHERE and own you in a second) but now that I have a classification system, the form of wing being Xex or Xulu, etc, then I think it holds a much easier place for me.

But, do you really have TIME to analyze the wing name and think about it, when you are surounded by enemies trying to kill YOU? I personally dont care: its an enemy, kill it. :sigh:

A good portion of any mission is style with the goal of immersing the player in your universe.  For some of us, a small queer thing can ruin the atmosphere.

*sigh* Just play mission 2 and tell me what you think.