Author Topic: Viper Simulator  (Read 6608 times)

Offline djsf35

Here is a project that all of you in the diaspora team should love. sites.google.com/site/mf2012theviper/home These kids are building a fully functional simulator based around the MVII viper.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
i'm working in a BSG viper home cockpit too since 2 years, it's a very long work, but the result is very good ... my cockpit doesn't move, but is a replica of the mk VII more close to the TV Show than that
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Mine is in my car but my girlfriend made me remove the full auto paintball guns... she said we can't afford the arrest for using them =P

Offline Echelon9

Diaspora, once released, would make a much better engine than FlightGear. Although our engine may not yet expose the right info for the actuator motor Python bindings.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
One other big problem with them using Diaspora is that we have cockpits already. They'd need to redo all the cockpits or else they'd have the actual physical simulator controls duplicated again on screen.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Speaking of which, how are cockpits done in FSO, properly that is (I assume Diaspora will set that standard, if not already)? If a table file must call the cockpit, would it be possible for a command to render or not render the cockpit model, thus reverting to the default FS display, or a user-defined display? In essence, toggle the cockpit model on and off... there have actually been requests for that feature as well. Diaspora is not the only project with 3D cockpits coming in, so this is definately something to consider...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Cockpits are a tabled-based feature defined on a per-ship basis. If you want to toggle them on/off, it's as simple as editing the tables manually, or dropping on your mod folder a properly edited table. That will probably be the first thing I do when Diaspora is released, because rule of cool is cool and all, but I simply can't play when half my screen is hidden by stuff really :p
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Have fun playing without DRADIS. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
?
How is that related to disabling the cockpit ? I didn't say I was disabling the HUD.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Buy trackir, leave the cockpit as it is and have x3 times fun and immersion.
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
When can I expect the money you'll send me to buy it ?

Offline m!m

?
How is that related to disabling the cockpit ? I didn't say I was disabling the HUD.
The DRADIS is displayed on a screen in the cockpit so you won't see that screen if you disable the cockpit. Although you could just change the entry in Hud_gagues.tbl to display the DRADIS without the need for a cockpit.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
When can I expect the money you'll send me to buy it ?

Freetrack is completely free, buy a 3 IR led and follow instruction, with less 10$ you have trackir homemade as i did.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The DRADIS is displayed on a screen in the cockpit so you won't see that screen if you disable the cockpit. Although you could just change the entry in Hud_gagues.tbl to display the DRADIS without the need for a cockpit.
Fair enough, I'll keep that in mind. Didn't know you could bind a HUD element to a model.

Offline m!m

Currently that is only possible table-wise for the DRADIS gauge but Swifty planned to add support for other gauges some time ago. The hud gauges code is already capable of displaying every hud gauge on a cockpit display anyway, although I'm not sure in that as I've only seen to code but I didn't test of it actually works that way :nervous:

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The DRADIS is basically a 2D radar, no ? I might have to get back to FS's 3D radar instead, I can't play with 2D radar...

Offline newman

The DRADIS is basically a 2D radar, no ? I might have to get back to FS's 3D radar instead, I can't play with 2D radar...

No, it's actually a render to texture 3d radar. You can sort of see it working here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EHOhOYiOEA

Just bear in mind it's an old trailer, we've improved it a lot since, modifying various icons and their sizes so it's as readable as we can make it. It's one of the cooler features we've got, in my opinion. Really works well for immersion. We had some conversations back and forth about allowing toggling cockpits on and off, and basically it opens some cans of worms. In multiplayer, for instance, anyone who doesn't have a cockpit will actually have a greater (unobstructed) field of view, and therefore will have an advantage. And having cockpits on makes each craft feel different as well - they're pretty good for immersion, and work very well in both sp and mp. Anyone who absolutely hates having cockpits will probably have to mod it out on his own. But I think - and hope - that most people aren't going to want to. We've had some people skeptical about cockpits changing their minds after actually trying it, so anyone who's skeptical should probably reserve judgement until release.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:40:24 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I'm looking forward to cockpits myself. I thought about it a bit, and while I'm used to the lack of cockpits in Freespace, I'm the kind of simmer who plays flight sims entirely in cockpit view... so yeah. I'm so sold.

Back to the OP: That's pretty impressive, considering how young they are. I never did anything *that* ambitious when I was in High School... and there's an 8th grader there!

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I don't want to toggle cockpits on/off, but I do like flight sims where you can toggle field of view between the HUD and the full cockpit.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Yeah same here. I loved padlocking views to enemy aircraft in dog fighting too.
With this being space based the dog fighting tactics don't apply the same way though.
Doing a 180 in Newtonian style physics is easy. Its the change in direction and inertia that would be the limitation.
The views went a long way toward immersion though in flight sims like this.
Realism though is not being able to see below the nose or through the floor so it was as much about positioning the craft for your field of vision as it was for the firing solution in cockpit only views.  That is part of the dynamics though in keeping a reasonable playing field especially in multiplayer style combat situations.
Not fighting guys in HUD only views while you are limited in cockpit only views. The firing solutions are much different.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:22:18 pm by KewlToyZ »