Author Topic: Cross-over Fanfic needs old OPT files  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Cross-over Fanfic needs old OPT files
Hey guys, I'm hoping one of the old timers will remember this and possibly can help me out.

Back in the day on the internal forum we had a file of Xwing Alliance opts (mostly by Darksaber) converted to FS2 usable pofs. Mainly used for testing, they were to be replaced by HTL ships.

I had it on my drive for some years now and decided to go back and try to make them usable by FSopen (most of them had way over the texture limit, but I am fairly confident now that I can do a decent job with my KA experiences behind me on texture reduction - making a 48 texture ship fit in open without compromising the visuals.

Problem is when I go to that folder on ym drive my computer locks up with (Not Responding). A virus scan detects nothing wonky. This was the only copy I had so I'm stalled...  :(

Anyway, I'm planning on getting SW into my fanfiction arc eventually and wanted to use those old obsolete ships to play out some imagined battles and take screenines for chapters. If anyone checking in still has the compilation zip/rar please let me know!

I could just go back to square1 and reconvert the old opts from scratch, but that would be a huge hassle as the ones in the compilation file were mostly turreted already and I don't do multi-part turrets (successfully)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Crossovers covered already:
-----------------------------------
Super Robot Wars - Robotech
DS9 (Dominion War)/Terran Empire
Robotech - Macross II/7 fusion
Yamato - Post Nemesis

next crossover planned is:
Char's Counter Attack (Gundam)

Future Crosses to be worked out:
Star Wars
SG-1 (Ori Invasion)

Now, in the likely event these files are truly lost, how would the team feel about allowing me the use of some of the newer models from the mod? With the restrictions that none are to be released (proven track record on that, as I sat on the WC Internal models 4 years :) ). Models displayed would only be a handful as directly listed in the chapter. (like a ISD or SSD battle).

I'm still nailing down the exact era as I'm playing in my head what a good point to burst in on the scene would be: 1-3, 4-6 (leaning toward this era), post 6 episode...

Also willing to take suggestions.
Up to Chapter 33 now: http://forum.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=42590
Started this on Jan7th 2003 so I'm kinda slow on the updates...   :lol:

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: Cross-over Fanfic needs old OPT files
I still have some of the old OPTs on my HD, but I don't know if I can upload that much (they take up a lot of space and my upload speed is too slow).

As for our newer models, chief is the one to ask. Most of our HTL models get replaced anyways, so I don't think he will have a problem with that if you use something that we don't plan to include in any release.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Check your email.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
My other email is [email protected]

Thanks for the attempt, I actually managed to get it open and grabbed what I could before closing. Seems if you let it try for an hour or so it eventually will open. I had tried to open it and forgot about it as my messenger came up and when I was done chatting I noticed it open. weird, but I am not complaining as I quickly got the pofs and maps out I felt I really wanted to use out before closing the file..

So you say there was another tier of HTL models that are getting replaced?  :cool:

Have to wait and see what Chief says then...

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)