Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 573361 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Qaz, when you plan on putting the old world for download?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Endermen annoy my OCD side by flinging dirt blocks all over the place.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Okay, let's look at the standard mobs to see which is most dangerous:

Skeletons:  Ranged attacks, difficult to avoid their attacks, can easily knock you off of ledges.  Often hit their own buddies, resulting in infighting.  Blocking can help reduce damage from arrows.

Zombies:  Slow, melee only combatant.  Can knock down wooden doors.  Slightly more durable then skeletons and creepers.  Avoiding their attacks is a better idea then blocking them.

Creepers:  Exploding monsters that blow off a chunk of the landscape and part of your house.  Shouldn't get a chance to explode if you know what you are doing when fighting it.  Like to try and creep up on you.  OCD inducing.  Can be used to gather stone without the need for a wooden pickaxe.  Hates cats, and will always try to stay a certain distance from one.  Blocking makes a big difference when trying to survive their explosions.

Spiders:  2x2 mob that can climb walls (but not ceilings!).  Easiest mob to keep off your property through certain construction practices.  Likes to jump at you when attacking, making it harder to hit.  Deflecting their jumping attacks works better then blocking them.

Endermen:  OCD inducing mob that can move certain blocks around.  Teleports to you and attacks you if you look at it.  Teleports away if you hit it.  Does not teleport away if you hit it in the legs.  High health and high damage - an individual enderman can be more dangerous then even a group of mobs.  Hates water.  Likes to prematurely set off sand/gravel pitfall traps in custom maps.  Trying to block their attacks only results in you getting hit again.

Looking at this list, I still say skeletons are more dangerous then creepers.  Creepers can be avoided.  Skeleton arrows can't.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
All valid points Alex but ultimately its a personal preference thing, I will always find skeletons less of a nuisance than creepers
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Creepers can't be avoided if they suddenly drop right behind you and explode. :p

I think I need to get all Jamie Hynemann on my transplanted villagers.  "Screw, damn you!"

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Creepers can't be avoided if they suddenly drop right behind you and explode. :p

I think I need to get all Jamie Hynemann on my transplanted villagers.  "Screw, damn you!"

This springs to mind.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft

There's something called 'situational awareness'.  I rarely get creepers sneaking up on me unless a custom map designer does something sadistic such as putting creeper spawners in the roof of a cave.

I find that most of the time, my deaths are skeleton-related.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Again, situational awareness does you no good if the damn thing only starts hissing audibly as it explodes.  There's always going to be some raised passageway in a cave that you don't notice, and sometimes you pay the price.  Or there could be other factors: I've been playing a bit of the 360 version with my brother, and because the thing's HDMI cable is on the fritz, we get no sound from the console.  Not so good for avoiding the green guys. :p

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Again, situational awareness does you no good if the damn thing only starts hissing audibly as it explodes.  There's always going to be some raised passageway in a cave that you don't notice, and sometimes you pay the price.  Or there could be other factors: I've been playing a bit of the 360 version with my brother, and because the thing's HDMI cable is on the fritz, we get no sound from the console.  Not so good for avoiding the green guys. :p

Last I checked, creepers hiss BEFORE they explode and not as they explode.  If you back off from them quickly enough, you can at least get some distance between you and the explosion.

Also, ignited TNT makes the same hissing sound that creepers do.  I've run into various TNT-based traps in the various custom maps I have played, and I have learned to start running whenever I hear that hissing noise.  Those proximity TNT traps are just nasty  :ick:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
As I said, I've had occasions where I literally didn't hear the hiss until the thing was falling right next to me and a half-second from exploding.  It usually isn't fatal, since I'm never without armor, but it still scares the hell out of me.

As far as skeletons go, unless I'm completely unarmored, I don't see them as more than a general annoyance.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
As I said, I've had occasions where I literally didn't hear the hiss until the thing was falling right next to me and a half-second from exploding.  It usually isn't fatal, since I'm never without armor, but it still scares the hell out of me.

As far as skeletons go, unless I'm completely unarmored, I don't see them as more than a general annoyance.

Aha, there's the difference.  Many CTM-style custom maps deny easy access to armor early on.  No grass means no cows to breed for leather armor, iron is either found in small quantities or in large quantities within an area where you are likely to die retrieving it, and diamond is only ever available towards the end.

So I'm accustomed to going without armor.  On the flip side, I am also used to having access to an enchanting table early on.

Ghasts trump all those mobs. Those damn bastards.
Especially when you don't have a bow and you're lagging a bit.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:12:09 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Ghasts trump all those mobs. Those damn bastards.
Especially when you don't have a bow and you're lagging a bit.

Anti-ghast fortifications can be built if you bring cobblestone with you.  Cobblestone is cheap, and immune to ghast fireballs.  Ghasts also have limited spawn conditions - they can only spawn in a 4x4 area or larger within the Nether.  Adjust your construction practices accordingly if you choose to build something within the Nether.

Also, you can deflect Ghast fireballs by hitting them!  However, this works both ways - a ghast fireball might deflect your arrow.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Are you guys still going at it as to what is the mob you need to worry about?

You need to worry about all of them. They want to kill you, that is all
"No"

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
So, I'm just making a (as in just one) high voltage solar array in tekkit. This thing is absolutely insane. Equivalent exchange is OP as heck, but I still have to cook 9464 items in furnaces, and macerate 1536 coal and it adds to about 2 007 231 EMC (if I can count right, I just pushed stuff into windows calculator and didn't check it) or 245 diamonds:
1 HV Solar Array
   1 HV Transformer
      1 Energy Crystal
         1 Diamond
         8 Redstone
      1 Electronic Circuit
         6 Wire
            6 Rubber
               6 Sticky Resin
            3 Copper
         1 Refined Iron
         2 Redstone
      2 4Ins HV Cable
         2 2Ins HV Cable
            2 HV Cable
               0.5 Refined Iron
               2 Rubber
                  2 Sticky Resin
            2 Rubber
               2 Sticky Resin
         2 Rubber
            2 Sticky Resin
      1 MV Transformer
         2 2Ins Gold Cable
            2 Ins Gold Cable
               0.5 Gold Ingots
               2 Rubber
                  2 Sticky Resin
            2 Rubber
               2 Sticky Resin
         8 Machine Block
            8*8 Refined Iron
   8 MV Solar Array
      8 MV Transformer
         16 2Ins Gold Cable
            16 Ins Gold Cable
               4 Gold Ingots
               16 Rubber
                  16 Sticky Resin
            16 Rubber
               16 Sticky Resin
         8 Machine Block
            8*8 Refined Iron
      64 LV Solar Array
         64 LV Transformer
            4*64 Wood
            3*64 Copper
            2*64 Wire
               2*64 Rubber
                  2*64 Sticky Resin
               64 Copper
         8*64 Solar Panels
            8*64 Generators
               4*8*16 Re-Batteries
                  4*8*64 Tin
                  2*8*64 Redstone
                  8*64 Wire
                     8*64 Rubber
                        8*64 Sticky Resin
                     4*64 Copper
               8*64 Iron Furnace
                  8*8*64 Iron Ingots
               3*8*64 Refined Iron
            2*8*64 Circuits
               12*8*64 Wires
                  12*8*64 Wire
                     6*8*64 Copper
                     12*8*64 Rubber
                        12*8*64 Sticky Resin
               2*8*64 Refined Iron
               4*8*64 Redstone
            3*8*64 Glass
            3*8*64 Coal Dust

Now I just have to remember not to hit it with a pick or it will break.

Mobs are nothing.....  The f'n cactus will get you, man.

Actually, having built my mine under a desert biome in my SSP world, Endermen are that little bit more annoying, because they'll grab one of the upper blocks of a cactus and replant it elsewhere, leading to your backyard eventually turning into a forest of cactus.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
lol, who knew endermen love to garden as well as landscape.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'm just doing a quick test run on a Hamachi-based server. It's mobless and creative mode atm, since I'm just building up round spawn, but anyone wanting to join in is welcome :)

Hamachi Address : Flipzone
Password : hlp

IP Address : 5.108.218.40

If nothing else, it'll let me know people can connect to it ;)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm getting a "Can't reach server".
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hmmm.. could be to do with my end of things, not certain, I'll look at it...

See if it's ok now... I think it's Hamachi related, but not sure.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:24:10 pm by Flipside »