Author Topic: Syrk: The Unification Wars  (Read 16307 times)

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
Syrk: The Unification Wars
Syrk: The Unification Wars
We are the invaders.

Act I will be released no later than April 20th

The campaign that shows you the bloody process that lead to the formation of the GTA is coming to a Sol near you! With 4 Terran factions fighting for control of humanity, starting a story that stretches much farther than any of you could ever imagine, Syrk: The Unification Wars will allow you to witness such milestones of human history as the siege of Pluto or the majestic arrival of the very first Orion ever made. To spice this all up, you will encounter the Destroyers as well!

*record scratch*

Yes, our mortal enemies, the Shivans appear in a campaign that is set long before the Great War. Yet I can assure you, canon will not be contradicted! With 20(...40...60!) dogfightful missions we will be showcasing a yet uncovered part of Terran history, the events that started it all: the Unification Wars.

Featuring

- A cleverly crafted storyline
- Good old FS1 'nameless cog in the great machine'-atmosphere
- Heckadoodle amounts of mods
- Shivans!!! :nervous:
- Four Terran factions

Stay tuned for lots of canned awesomeness in the upcoming yet-undefined-times

Unification. Civil war. Shivans. No canon contradictions.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:23:04 pm by Lucika »
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Syrk: The Unification Wars
This is pretty much the base concept to the entire Prelude of a story I've been working on called Shattered Apocalypse: Exodus. Except it looks like there won't be any Weird Time **** ganking it to high-hell. ;7
Plus I have an elaborate scheme so I won't have to make that Prelude unless I really want to... :nervous:

Be pretty awesome to see how this turns out.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Shivans? Before FS1?  :wtf:

That doesn't sound right....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lucika

All I have to say is ;7

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
  • Current Project: Vasudan Imperium (\/) (;,;) (\/)
Shivans? Before FS1?  :wtf:

That doesn't sound right....

I agree, The Great War was the introduction to the Shivans and it was stressed that no knowledge of this species existed. Perhaps nobody kept records and the appearance of the shivans in the Unification Wars was forgotten?

Or Command knew all along and just kept the information classified. After all you are informed on a need-to-know basis. :nervous:
I, Aries one, have proved myself superior to the legendary Terran pilot Alpha one! Let the Vasudan people take pride in this accomplishment, and take the Parliamentary Vasudan Empire to victory over the inferior Galactic Terran Alliance! Long live the Emperor!

Offline Lucika

While I'll obviously not going to give away my explanation (that, rest assured, will satisfy you all), I'd like to quote a theory from the same board, so that hopefully launches your creative idea boxes.

If I remember correctly then Silent Threat hinted at the GTI knowing about the Shivans before they started their attacks.
The only thing the Shivans have to do, to stay hidden from the bulk of Humanity is leaving no survivors, except secret agents (probably inclusing the player) who keep the information in a closed loop of what will later become the GTI.
At least that's the only way I can imagine Shivans to appear in the unification war, without breaking canon or seeing the player either dead or carted off by the nice uncles with the white  "I hug myself" jacket.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah I believe a number of mods have played with the notion that GTI was aware of the Shivans well ahead of time.

...GTI scout wings had been following Shivan movements for weeks prior to the Riviera attack...

Offline Sifle

Yeah I believe a number of mods have played with the notion that GTI was aware of the Shivans well ahead of time.

...GTI scout wings had been following Shivan movements for weeks prior to the Riviera attack...

Yea the GTI awareness of the Shivans was a major plot point in Silent Threat Reborn, but I figured that was at most two months before the attack on  Ross 128. If the campaign doesn't contradict canon though, I'm fine with it.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
This reminds me of an unedited novel posted to a forum, now removed, in which a xenocidal species which controlled most of the quadrant of the galaxy opposite our own had been known to a conspiracy within military intelligence for centuries. They were dubbed the Lefu. Their long-range scouts had destroyed some outlying colonies and exploration vessels, with very few survivors. The name and a few details eventually became common knowledge to the upper ranks of the military, but the unstoppable size of the threat was concealed. The conspiracy's purpose was to manipulate the rest of the military into avoiding a confrontation which would provoke Armageddon.

Eventually, humanity met and went to war with an all-but-xenocidal empire that was more powerful then the largest human government, but was not unbeatable. Confused generals and admirals dubbed these enemies the Lefu, and the name entered civilian usage. However, all the while, the conspiracy was watching a real Lefu sleeper fleet grow ever closer. Eventually, Humanity and their enemies had to fight for their survival against these Destroyers, who had to be given a new name, which I've forgotten.

TL;DR: It would amuse me if the Shivans were initially called Vasudans, and then the name ended up being applied to the Vasudans we know, so GTI had to come up with the name "Shivans" instead.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline -Norbert-

Considering the meaning behind those two names I highly doubt that.

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Yeah, but 14 years prior stretches it a bit.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
14 years is just...700 ish weeks.
Still just "a few", if you look on the cosmological order or things.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
14 years is just...700 ish weeks.
Still just "a few", if you look on the cosmological order or things.
Yyyeah...

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Considering the meaning behind those two names I highly doubt that.
'Vasudan' or 'Vasuda' has a meaning?

EDIT: googled it

Quote from: Behind the Name
Means "granting wealth" in Sanskrit. This is another name of the earth.
As if that makes a lot of sense for either species, unless whoever met the Vasudans got rich off it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:49:35 pm by Alan Bolte »
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You missed the second sentence.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Excuse me, but... shouldn't this board be renamed "Syrk: The Unification Wars" instead? :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Lucika

Excuse me, but... shouldn't this board be renamed "Syrk: The Unification Wars" instead? :)

Let's just say... it is not necessary. :pimp:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Was that supposed to be a Bruce Willis one-liner or something?

Offline Lucika

No, it was a Horatio Caine one. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
:cool: