Author Topic: Arpyia-class frigate  (Read 7318 times)

Offline Delta_V

Sweet ship  :nod:.  Found a couple problems with the tables you packaged it with, though.  Turret 12 is a TerSlash for seemingly  no reason, it looks like it should be a standard flak.  Also, the turrets you have set as to use Pirahnas have them listed as Default PBank instead of Default SBank, so those turrets won't work without a table change.  Nothing major, just a few simple table tweaks.

Also, +1 for de-mirroring asap  :nervous:

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The map looks a little too cell-shaded for typical FS.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Hawt ship. :D

Offline peterv

You never know but i think it's O.K.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cnrqpgye8fda1jr

Delta_V i think it's heavy flak. Anyway, I'm sure FREDers will change that.

Also added engine sound and changed it's behaviour a bit.
So, my dear test pilots, thanks in advance for the second round.  :pimp:

EDIT: don't try to launch Ursas from her when she's moving. They penetrate the fighterbay in a magical way. When she's stopped, it's O.K.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 07:37:30 pm by peterv »

Ooooh, that is nice.

One question: what's that business on the bottom? Big beam? Ram scoop? "Docking" clamp?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Dude. Awesome.

Offline peterv

Ooooh, that is nice.

One question: what's that business on the bottom? Big beam? Ram scoop? "Docking" clamp?

It's the bottom engine and the base for the bottom beam.

Offline Delta_V

After some testing in fred, I must say the anti-fighter weapons are quite deadly, and all those Pirahna launchers are pure evil  :mad: 

One problem I noticed was the tendency of its forward beams to get killed every time it went head to head with another ship.  The turrets take up almost the entire front of the ship, and tend to get hit in the opening volley of beam fire, not to mention they are quite large targets for fighters and bombers.  The turrets themselves don't seem that big, but the destructible parts that are a part of the turrets make them larger than necessary.  I would consider making those parts smaller, but other than that nitpick (and the shininess), I think you have a terrific model  :)  I can't wait to see this thing in a campaign  :nod:

Looking at your pic, it doesn't seem nearly as shiny as it does in game (it seriously looks like it's made of giant mirrors in game).  I'll have to try some different lighting settings to see if that's the problem.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 01:59:05 pm by Delta_V »

Offline peterv

After some testing in fred, I must say the anti-fighter weapons are quite deadly, and all those Pirahna launchers are pure evil  :mad: 

One problem I noticed was the tendency of its forward beams to get killed every time it went head to head with another ship.  The turrets take up almost the entire front of the ship, and tend to get hit in the opening volley of beam fire, not to mention they are quite large targets for fighters and bombers.  The turrets themselves don't seem that big, but the destructible parts that are a part of the turrets make them larger than necessary.  I would consider making those parts smaller, but other than that nitpick (and the shininess), I think you have a terrific model  :)  I can't wait to see this thing in a campaign  :nod:

Looking at your pic, it doesn't seem nearly as shiny as it does in game (it seriously looks like it's made of giant mirrors in game).  I'll have to try some different lighting settings to see if that's the problem.

My settings: "-ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5" (actually Zacam's settings).

Now, as for the turrets, they were designed for a special campaign where they needed to look destroyed, that's the reason for theme being so big. Adjusting them via FRED might be a solution to this.
Thanks for the feedback  :) 

Offline Delta_V

Even with your settings, I still am getting bad reflections. It seems to happen in all the different environments I tried, but it was very obvious with the nebula in the background.  It just kinda sucks that the shinemap is covering up what otherwise appear to be really awesome texures   :(

Screenshots are attached.  The second one is from inside the hangar.

Hope it's not too difficult to fix.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Holy mirror house.

Offline peterv

O.K. I'll fix it.  :)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
So if we do end up with somekind of mod spotlight, as the most awesomest moderator of dis board (aside from HT), I'd nominate the Arypia to be the first one spotlighted.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
While I haven't had the chance to mess with this (Broke-dick computer and all), how does it handle itself in battle?

Am I right in saying there aren't any ventral mulitpart turrets as well?

Offline peterv

No ventral multipart turrets.

I'm working on a version with smaller models for AAAfs. Will be released with the new shine map.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It occurred to me (and perhaps others) that this model could be used in an upgrade/redux of Blaise Russel's "Homesick", taking the place of the retired Deimos serving as the player's home base ship.  The explanation could be made that the Deimos design was the winning design from a competition, much the same way as fighter competitions will yield some designs that get discarded while another is chosen.  This design could have been a failed competitor to the Deimos, sold to the mercenaries and converted for fighter-carrying.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline peterv

Well, I've made the Hestia for exactly that reason, but that model needs serious upgrade (it was my first one). Anyway, moders will do anything they like, I'm sure of that  :lol:

Offline peterv

Final (hopefully) : http://www.mediafire.com/?cnrqpgye8fda1jr

The turrets are fixed just a bit, couldn't do any better without changing all the submodels.
If you still don't' like the shine map it's very easy to fix, don't hesitate to ask  :pimp:

EDIT: THIS is the right shine - map : http://www.mediafire.com/?1xd47msmhrw43y6
          The one in the VP is the WRONG shine - map.

(No, i'm not drunk, why do you say that?)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:51:30 am by peterv »