Author Topic: RELEASE — Blue Planet  (Read 170693 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
RELEASE — Blue Planet

B L U E  P L A N E T

From our odyssey into Hell, we have returned with a gift: the Ancient technology to build a portal between Delta Serpentis and Sol.

To restore the link to our blue planet.

To return home after all these years.

Fifty years ago, the Shivans devastated our worlds and cut us off from Earth. Eighteen years ago we struck back, and met disaster. Our economy in shambles, our people ready to revolt, we once again find ourselves on the edge of extinction.

Now we look homeward. The GTVA 14th Battlegroup will spearhead the effort to re-establish contact with Earth.

The FreeSpace story continues. Join us.

• STORYTELLING

Experience the saga. Follow the clues. To find the truth you'll need to master military theory, cosmology, and the art of killing. All you risk losing are your friends, your loved ones, your sanity, your free will, and any hope for the future of intelligent life.

• GAMEPLAY

You can't go back. Face down ruthless, intelligent Fury AI. Fight alongside — and against — devastating warships that finally behave like titans with thousands of people aboard. Fly capital ships, command entire fleet battles, win the trust and love of your comrades, and confront a fate worse than death in the spaces of your own mind.

• ART

Starring fleets of next-generation warships, painstakingly balanced weapons and fighters built on cutting-edge mechanics, and a professional voice cast backed by our own community's talented and enthusiastic amateurs!

• COMMUNITY

Get involved! At the heart of Blue Planet is the internet's most active, intellectually challenging FreeSpace discussion. Raise theories, debate tactics, interact with the game universe, and help shape future installments. Discover other amazing campaigns. You'll make everything better. Never stop posting!

WHAT'S INSIDE

• More than fifty missions. Hours of music and voice acting. A story that was named 'the best military science fiction of the year' in 2014. This is the world of Blue Planet.

• Age of Aquarius. Begin the story with 2007's smash hit, fully voice acted and lovingly retuned. Join the 14th Battlegroup on a desperate flight through a nightmare of burnt rock, cold fire, and horrifying visions. Give up your humanity to save everything you love. Keep an eye out for new story content, hidden secrets, rebalanced weapons, and hints of what's to come!

• War in Heaven: Part 1. The war will change you forever. Bloody yourself in a dark, militant psychological drama. Fly some of the most beloved missions ever made, from social battles to epic fleet fights. Now fully voice acted by a professional cast, rebalanced, rebuilt, and packed with new content!

• War in Heaven: Part 2. Push yourself to the limits of morality to discover the truth. Take on strange and dizzying new missions alongside the elite of the elite. Hang out with your comrades and prep for the next mission in the Dreamscape, now featuring integrated training. Expanded, revamped, rewritten, and ready to hunt.

• FreeSpace Blue: Replay the classic FreeSpace 2 campaign with retuned weapon balance and enhanced missions. Join us in identifying tweaks and changes we can make.

TECHNICAL DETAILS AND TROUBLESHOOTING

We owe this community an enormous debt, and we are tremendously grateful to all of you for your help, support, and advice. Blue Planet is a labor of love, and we hope that you enjoy playing it as much as we've enjoyed building it. We owe special thanks to our fellow modders and to the Source Code Project and FreeSpace Upgrade Project teams for their patience and generosity.

I get really bad performance! How can I make the game smoother?

Disable shadows in the launcher's graphics settings. If that doesn't work, turn off deferred lighting too.

The voices are too loud/quiet

Adjust your audio settings by pressing F2.

I want to talk about Blue Planet!

Join us in the forum discussion!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 12:40:53 pm by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Re: RELEASE — Blue Planet
Installing Blue Planet

Go to the 'explore' tab and locate Blue Planet. Install, launch the game, and have fun!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 12:41:06 pm by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This space intentionally left blank!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 12:40:30 pm by General Battuta »

Offline vmiess

Where is Act 3 in WIH ?
I have reinstalled everyting but there is still Act 1- Act 2

Offline rance

Ok so in your Campaign Select screen there should be 2 WiH Campaigns, that is all there is currently.

Yeah, it sounds like you're getting confused by the labelling. "War In Heaven 1" is acts 1 and 2. "War in Heaven 2" is act 3.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Don't know where else i can ask, but will this BP cockpit mod (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=71151.120) work with the re-release?
Nvm. It works flawlessly.
But I get this error at the end of WiH1 and upon starting WiH2
Source:      (null)
Short source:   
Current line:   0
- Function line:   0
------------------------------------------------------------------

stack traceback:
   [C]: ?
   [string "bp2-betty-sct.tbm - On State Start"]:6: in function 'initbetty'
   [string "bp2-betty-sct.tbm - On Frame"]:6: in main chunk
   [C]: in function 'ParseCSVLine'
   [string "journal-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:211: in function 'ApplySaveData'
   [string "journal-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:719: in function 'jsv'
   [string "?"]:1: in main chunk

Could not find index 'Player' in type 'HookVariables'

ADE Debug:
Name:      (null)
Name of:   (null)
Function type:   (null)
Defined on:   0
Upvalues:   0

Source:      (null)
Short source:   
Current line:   0
- Function line:   0

stack traceback:
   [C]: ?
   [string "bp2-betty-sct.tbm - On State Start"]:5: in function 'initbetty'
   [string "bp2-betty-sct.tbm - On Frame"]:6: in main chunk
   [C]: in function 'ParseCSVLine'
   [string "journal-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:211: in function 'ApplySaveData'
   [string "journal-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:719: in function 'jsv'
   [string "?"]:1: in main chunk

1: Userdata [HookVariables]
2: String [Player]
Any help?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 09:42:09 pm by jedi19941 »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Here's the log file. I'm using 3.7.4 RC2 build because the build you recommended gave me 404
Starting WiH2, the game freezes and stops responding.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Starting WiH2, the game freezes and stops responding.
Actually, it's just loading the intro cutscene; FSO stops responding to the operating system during that time, so sending an event (e.g. by clicking the mouse while it's loading) will cause Windows to become convinced it's crashed (because it doesn't immediately respond to the event).

This problem should hopefully be fixed in 3.8, but in the meantime, just leave your computer alone next time you try to start the campaign so it can finish loading (it takes about half a minute on my system, and a lot longer with a Debug build).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline m!m

Does it freeze right at the start (immediately after starting FSO in the launcher) or when you start a mission? If it's immediately at the start then FSO shouldn't freeze but at mission start the issue described by AdmiralRalwood could happen. Your log shows that a mission is being loaded so I guess the second possibility is what happens in which case it's more or less "expected".

Offline exb

fyi, there is no bitmap in any of the manual download files.

So, I have really been enjoying the amazing campaigns Blue Planet has to offer, but upon getting to War in Heaven, Part 2, I was surprised to find a lack of voice acting. All characters speak through a hideous text to speech system. I installed the mod through the freespace open installer. Should I try reinstalling it manually, or is there no voice acting for part 2 of War in Heaven?

Offline Aesaar

Part 2 has no VA, no.  You can deactivate the text-to-speech in the launcher.  TBH, that thing should really be off by default.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Part 2 has no VA, no.  You can deactivate the text-to-speech in the launcher.  TBH, that thing should really be off by default.
It is off by default.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Aesaar

Huh.  Ok then.

So, is there no hope for there being a voice acting in the future? I absolutely loved the VA for both War in Heaven 1 and Age of Aquarius, and I doubt I'd be as immersed in the final chapter of the trilogy without it.

WiH part 2 isn't really the final part of the trilogy and it's unlikely to get voice acted any time soon. Maybe in like 5 years or something, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Yeah, WiH Pt. 2 is only the second half of part 2.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Yeah, WiH Pt. 2 is only the second half of part 2.
...No, it's the 3rd act out of 5.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so