Author Topic: Apollo Prototype  (Read 6502 times)

Offline Grey Wolf

This doesn't have much to do with anything, but weren't you guys going to use my Apollo Prototype at one point?
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Solatar

We might..but it will be later in the T-V War. And that is a LOOONNG way off.;)

Offline Grey Wolf

I was just wondering. I thought I remembered something about you using it, but I couldn't remember.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Did the interface art ever get done for that?

Offline Solatar

If not we can do it.:D

Offline Grey Wolf

I never got around to the inteface art, mainly because the campaign was cancelled.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes, we will be using it, but we have to finish chapter 1 (Unification War) first.  And for that we need our models finished (i.e., converted and textured).  If you know anyone who can do that (Woomeister's busy), please send them here. :)

Offline Grey Wolf

I can convert stuff for you, but texturing is a definite no.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
K, well then let me ask this: does texturing need to be done before converting?  If so, we're still at an impasse... :sigh:

Offline Grey Wolf

Yeah, texturing has to be done first.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Solatar
We might..but it will be later in the T-V War. And that is a LOOONNG way off.;)

The war is only 14 years, and the game says the Apollo was getting moldy at the end of the war. The Hercules, Horus, and Dragon are each over 30 years old and seem to have plenty of life left in them. The Apollo and Anubis should be introduced at the beginning of the war or earlier.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Solatar

No. The Anubis maybe, but definantly not the Apollo. The Apollo will be released later in the war. Maybe only a few years later, but not at the beginning, and certainly not before.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I strongly disagree. If the Apollo was only a few years old at the start of FS2, it would be a cuttimg-edge fighter and not considered to be aging at all. To me, old = 20 years.

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Solatar

Well, during a war as big as this, each side was trying to outstrip the other side as quckly as possible. So, an "old" fighter could really be only a few years old.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, where does the game say the Apollo is getting old? I mean, it was used during the entire Great War. Maybe it was a newer fighter (few years old), but wasn't well adapted to shielding.

Or, it was a cutting edge fighter until the Shivans came along.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
The Apollo (the early versions) were probably introduced sometime shortly before the 14 Year War began.  Over time, newer models (mostly dealing with upgrading aging reactors) would be introduced until the Apollo of FS1 appeared.  The problem with the Apollo during the Great War was combatablity, it couldn't carry the newest weapons (probably, again, due to reactor limitations).  With the Shivans an ever present threat, and most of the Apollo's vaped during the Great War, the line was simply canceled and retired afterwards.  If the Shivans hadn't shown up, its likely the Apollo would have had a 30+ year carrer, but new technologies rendered it obsolete very, very quickly.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Solatar

So we can have the prototype in maybe the first version of the actual 14 year War. Full Apollo a little later.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
For my campaign, set 10 years after FS2, I will put in a ship called the GTF Apollo II. From the outside, you can't tell it apart from the original Apollo, but under the skin it's almost a totally different ship. New reactor, new engines, new sensors, new missile hardpoints, it's like a new ship with an Apollo hull and cockpit.

Here are the specs:

TSF Apollo II
Advanced Space Superiority Fighter
Manufacturer: Makion Corporation
Species: Shivan
Max Velocity: 90 m/s
Max. Velocity with full power to engines: 120 m/s
Max. Afterburner Velocity: 200 m/s
Maneuverability: Equal that of the Ulysses
Allowed Primaries: Subach HL-7, ML-16 Laser, Disruptor, Advanced Disruptor, Akheton SDG, Avenger, Maxim, Morning Star, S-Breaker, Flail, Circe, Prometheus R, Prometheus S, Banshee, UD-8 Kayser, Shivan Light Laser, Shivan Heavy Laser, Shivan Mega Laser
Default Primaries: Subach HL-7, UD-8 Kayser
Allowed Secondaries: MX-50, Rockeye, Fury, Tempest, Interceptor, Harpoon, Phoenix V, Trebuchet, Stiletto, Stiletto II, Synaptic, Piranha, Tsunami, Cyclops, Hornet, Tornado
Default Secondaries: Harpoon, Tornado
Shields: 700
Hitpoints: 240
Secondary Bank Capacity: 60, 60
Shield Color: 60 255 60
Tech Description:
When the new Terran-Shivan Alliance began its crusade against the GTVA, it had the Shivan corporation Makion develop a new fighter based on the Apollo, which had an easy-to-modify spaceframe. Almost all of the craft is new, and it is better in every respect than its predecessor and its rivals, the SF Mara and GTF Myrmidon. This deadly amalgam of Shivan and Terran technology is currently available only to elite units, due to its prohibitive cost and the small number of units produced so far due to its newness.

--General Battuta

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Why not have a look around and try to grab one of the new models or Apollo reskins that are around the place? A quick post on FS Modding would probably show up a half a dozen, which you could copy your specs over to. After all, upgrades like that probably wouldn't fit precisely into the old shell.

Oh and b y the way, a Shivan corporation? :wtf: No matter what you take the shivans as, the concept of capitolist shivans doesn't sit too well with me...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2003, 10:17:31 am by 302 »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Oh and b y the way, a Shivan corporation?  No matter what you take the shivans as, the concept of capitolist shivans doesn't sit too well with me

no that would be something to see

I'm sorry Mr. Bosch, but your employee record just isn't suitable, i'm afraid we'll have to terminate you speaks into phoneKaren, could you please send up Carl, I believe it is his turn to eat, um, I mean terminate the old employees this month :ha:
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Why not have a look around and try to grab one of the new models or Apollo reskins that are around the place? A quick post on FS Modding would probably show up a half a dozen, which you could copy your specs over to. After all, upgrades like that probably wouldn't fit precisely into the old shell.

Oh and b y the way, a Shivan corporation? :wtf: No matter what you take the shivans as, the concept of capitolist shivans doesn't sit too well with me...

Don't ask. The story of my campaign is far too complex to sum up in a forum post.

--General Battuta