Poll

Do you use text-to-speech with FSO?

Yes
14 (15.6%)
No
64 (71.1%)
Only in certain areas (e.g., tech room. Post and say which ones you use)
4 (4.4%)
Snuffleupagus
8 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: June 08, 2012, 12:15:25 am

Author Topic: Poll: Do you use text-to-speech with FSO?  (Read 9000 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Poll: Do you use text-to-speech with FSO?
Ah - that's a shame. Well, it's present in the builds used by at least two big mod projects right now.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Personally though I'm for having it switched off by default. It makes things like the tech room seem less professional.
That's pretty much my opinion as well.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
If you can figure out a way to install a more fluid TTS voice fairly painlessly, then I might say "yes" to default on.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
If you can figure out a way to install a more fluid TTS voice fairly painlessly, then I might say "yes" to default on.
Doubtful. We're probably limited to whatever voices Microsoft offers for free, and as far as I can tell, on Windows 7, that's limited to just the default voice that ships with Windows.

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
No. It ruins the immersion. If I miss some dialogue I just press f4 and check the log.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
No. It ruins the immersion. If I miss some dialogue I just press f4 and check the log.

Same here.
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Doubtful. We're probably limited to whatever voices Microsoft offers for free, and as far as I can tell, on Windows 7, that's limited to just the default voice that ships with Windows.

i haven't used TTS on win7, but at least on XP they had 2 more you could get for free, one male and one female in addition to sam.  neither was any better though, just a different tone.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I use it heavily.  In fact, for my work with Inferno, I've been adjusting the missions, one by one, to be more compatible with TTS, by increasing the time spacing between messages to ensure that it reads the entire thing out before moving on to the next one.  I've even adjusted some of the wording to get around its limitations.  Obviously, actual voice acting is preferred, but in its absence, having it fully TTS compatible is an advantage.  If you don't use TTS, then the messages are just a little more spaced out than normal.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Text to speech is something I find annoying and keep off, though Microsoft Sam can provide the occasional laugh for me.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Is that the one that goes "Blah, Blah" if it doesn't know the word?

Don't use it because it's pretty distracting. Find it much more enjoyable to narrate a story like WiH or WoD with a voice I create in my head.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I use it heavily.  In fact, for my work with Inferno, I've been adjusting the missions, one by one, to be more compatible with TTS, by increasing the time spacing between messages to ensure that it reads the entire thing out before moving on to the next one.  I've even adjusted some of the wording to get around its limitations.  Obviously, actual voice acting is preferred, but in its absence, having it fully TTS compatible is an advantage.  If you don't use TTS, then the messages are just a little more spaced out than normal.

Based on this thread that seems to be mostly a lot of work for little gain...  :nervous:

I dunno, just a thought. It would be sad if you spent all that time tweaking for a feature few people use when you could be making/testing more missions and/or assets/features/whatever.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
well it's not the intended gain, but spacing out messages more is never a bad thing IMO.  walls of text that fly by faster than you can read normally, much less while in the middle of a dogfight, are almost as annoying as TTS.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Kie99

No, the monotony is annoying.  It took me ages when I first got FSO to work out how to turn it off; I still have "Affectionately nicknamed 'the bat' by its pilots..." in Microsoft Sam's voice imprinted into my brain whenever I enter the tech room.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
For those of you talking about Microsoft Sam - have you tried Microsoft Anna? She's the default on Windows 7 and IIRC she's available for XP if you can find the download. Hopefully we'll be able to get the Windows 8 voices backported to 7 eventually...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:31:35 am by Alan Bolte »
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
No, it creeps the hell out of me.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'd always thought it would be interesting if there was a way to give TTS a phonetic code language so you can tell it how to pronounce words and names it doesn't recognize, as well as a means to tell it how to emphasize specific words, and it could be a lot better.  All we'd need then is a greater database of voices and a means to assign a different voice to specific messages in FRED.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I'd always thought it would be interesting if there was a way to give TTS a phonetic code language so you can tell it how to pronounce words and names it doesn't recognize, as well as a means to tell it how to emphasize specific words, and it could be a lot better.  All we'd need then is a greater database of voices and a means to assign a different voice to specific messages in FRED.
IIRC Ventrillo or Teamspeak did something like that for usernames, though it's been forever since I've used either.

Also, for anyone who finds Anna's reading too slow on Windows 7, you can tweak it in Control Panel>Speech Recognition>Text to Speech. Don't know about Vista, it's probably the same.

I do turn TTS off for briefings and the techroom though, she doesn't do a great job with briefings and in the techroom I'd rather read than listen anyway.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Interesting to think about, although even if it were possible, it wouldn't sound anywhere near as good as even decent voice acting, and if the technology to support those features isn't available (and probably even if it is available, although a multitude of good voices almost certainly isn't [speech synthesis is hard]), it'd likely take much, much more work.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Vocaloid support added to FSO when???
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."