Author Topic: Scotty's Writing Thread - updated 12/05 - Now 20% Cooler!  (Read 9237 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Scotty's Writing Thread - updated 06/06
Friendship is Power
Chapter Three: Lessons Learned
“They can conquer who believe they can. He has not learned the first lesson in life who does not every day surmount a fear.”

Trekking across the Equestrian Wasteland very quickly taught me two important truths. One: traveling at night is a bad idea, especially if you're alone. Two: bullets are very, very, very finite. Perhaps more immediately relevant but less philosophically profound was the discovery that a submachine gun burns through bullets very quickly.

I found myself berating my lack of forethought for not realizing the first and panicking about the second while a steady stream of spines thudded into the hillock I was hiding behind. Dirt spewed into the air, showering me with clods of earth when a projectile grazed the top of the mound but went through instead of just burying itself harmlessly.

My jumpsuit was a filthy wreck. It was a mottled, dark burgundy color where blood had stained it, mostly from my gunshot wound earlier in the day. Rips and tears were everywhere, whether they were from splintering wood, the sharp edges of that one raider's armor, or the aforementioned gunshot. Some of the holes were big enough to let the chunks of dirt through to the interior, making the entire get up hugely uncomfortable. If I was going to survive out here, I was going to need something much better.

Ah. Right. Surviving. First I had to get away from these... whatever they hell they were. Roughly spherical bodies that floated on gossamer wings. At least, I assume they used to be spherical. Now they were grotesque and deformed, hideous flesh that looked like it was almost coming off as it flew, strange bumps and bulges belying a body that wasn't what it should be. Some of the bulges had spines protruding from them, and they could apparently fire them at whatever they wanted.

I lifted the SMG over the top of the hill, keeping my head way down to keep it from being taken off. Spines plinked off the gun, nicking the metal casing but otherwise doing no damage. Thank Celestia for small favors. I fired off a burst at the deformed insects, missing horribly. Of course. They weren't near as bad as I was. One spine went through my ear, and beneath the immediate prick of pain I felt a tingling. It spread very slowly from to the tip of my ear and then towards the rest of my skull. Uh oh. I had to finish this soon, and then hope that the poison or venom or whatever it was didn't kill me.

The SMG clicked empty and I swore. I was down to just one magazine and then a handful of bullets left over. Counting the red pips on my compass told me there were four of the things floating slowly toward me. I still didn't know how much it would take to kill one of them, and I wasn't about to sit here spraying until I finally hit one and pray that one bullet killed it. I had to find some way to event the odds.

They were close enough that I could hear their wings thrumming. Running out of time. Had to find something to help. Inventory? Everything was useless. They were closing in, and so was panic. I had nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothing.

In my panic I must have pressed a button or something; I don't remember how it happened. I just know that my attention was brought to rest exactly on the lead creature. Time slowed, and I the thing's wings stopped in mid-flight, but it didn't fall. I marvelled at the sensation of not being able to move but still being able to think, and used that peculiar property of whatever was happening to think about how to kill the blasted thing. Time abruptly sped back up, and my SMG fired a burst of shells that ripped into what I now somehow knew was a “bloatsprite.” It popped like a balloon. A water balloon filled with a twisted, tainted sludge. Strangely, I didn't feel the urge to void my guts. Maybe that only happened when I saw pony blood and guts? No matter. I now knew I possessed something to help me kill these abominations. I just had to figure out how to use it again.

It's strange how quickly panic can morph into pleased excitement.

My pipbuck flashed a warning at me, telling me that “S.A.T.S.” was depleted. I recognized the name from the list of features I had enabled before I entered the door, but hadn't used. Didn't know how to use. Apparently that was what I had killed the bloatsprite with. Hell, that was probably how I found out it was a bloatsprite in the first place! Half of the things in my pipbuck I would never know how it worked or how it knew what it knew. Probably didn't want to know anyway.

I had to find that button again. My life probably quite literally depended on it.

Found it! I pressed it, relieved that I could end this objectively pretty pathetic fight (a bunch of mid-sized insects pinned me down and sent me into a panic) and be on my way.

Nothing happened. ****. My pipbuck flashed me the message “S.A.T.S. Recharging” and showed a me a bar that was slowly filling back up to what I assumed was full. Fine. I could be patient if I needed to.

Okay, I thought I could be patient. I found myself constantly pressing the button, ignoring the flashing message until it finally let me re-enter the spell. I blew away another of the sprites with another burst. I felt like I was getting good at this. Duck into S.A.T.S., kill a sprite, duck back into cover, repeat. I couldn't seem to fire much less than half a dozen shots even if I wanted to though, which made ammo a concern again. I was down to less than a full magazine for my SMG.

Two left. A burst from my submachine gun. One left. Ducked behind cover, waited to recharge, popped back up, fired... and missed.

A small voice in the back of my head *****ed at me for thinking that this nifty new spell would make me immune to missing. Of course I could still miss.

So I did. Twice more. Frustration boiled up in me, and it took almost all the self-control I was able to muster to not just charge the last annoying sprite and stab it to death. My ear still burned, and the burning was spreading across the top of my head and down the side of my face. A light cloud was drifting over my thoughts, making it more difficult to think. More difficult, but not impossible. Just enough to know that there was something wrong.

I heard a buzzing, much closer than it should be and looked straight up in time to see the last sprite crest my little mound of dirt, spines already firing. I felt a few of them embed in my all-but-completely-exposed flesh through my coat. A few more missed, and the last were inexplicably halted by my ruined jumpsuit. I cried out in shock and pain, feeling the poison/venom already burning beneath my skin. The sprite was close enough to kill without S.A.T.S. at least. I did so, with a sense of great satisfaction. Nevermind the bloatsprite guts now seeping into my suit, as unpleasant as that was, I had just survived another encounter in the wastes, against something I had never seen before, outnumbered, in the middle of the night. Take that, Wasteland.

Then I felt it. The tingling. It was a burning sensation, no, it was worse. It made my mane itch and my skin crawl. Any exposed part of my body that the sprite's guts had covered was shuddering in revulsion. This stuff was evil. I had to get it off. Right now.

I tried scraping it off with my hooves, but that just made them tingle and crawl too, and the parts of me that I “cleaned” still practically screamed that something was wrong, even if less so than before. In the midst of all of this, my pipbuck was clicking at an alarming rate; I was picking up rads like I never had before. It scared me.

I shed my shredded jumpsuit as fast as I could, wiping away as much of the tainted material as I could. I was naked now, yes, but I felt much safer, all things considered. Most of the guts were gone, and the parts that I couldn't clean entirely didn't feel like my skin would crawl off and leave at any second anymore. The only parts of my clothing that I kept were my saddlebags. I had the feeling I was going to need those.

I took stock of my situation. I still had my submachine gun, now looking much the worse for wear, and ten bullets left for it. My knife, healing potion, and four bobby pins, with 40 caps stuffed into a pocket. Pipbuck working better than ever, now that I actually knew how to use it.

A quick look at my map was a welcome surprise. Those horrid creatures had ambushed me just over a mile from Chantilly. If not for these hills, I probably could have seen a few of the lights from here.

I took a step forward, toward the town, and almost ate the dirt right then and there. The Goddesses-damned bloatsprite spines were making me dizzy. Most of my body felt like it was on fire. I had to get to the city, and fast. I doubted a healing potion would do much to stop the poison (funny how imminent bodily danger makes up one's mind rather quickly) for very long, but I kept it ready, just in case.

The poison was making walking hard, and thinking harder. I was basically on autopilot at this point. I had to get to the town, so I followed the blinking arrow on my compass. I'd get there eventually. I had to. This fog. Hate it. Poison. Not good. Had to... town.

The next thing I knew, I was waking up on a bed that wasn't mine, staring at a ceiling that wasn't mine, naked. What the ****? Where was my bar? Where were my clothes? Where the **** was I?

Wait. I remembered. I was in the wastes, looking for the raider camp. The camp that butchered half of my Stable. I had to get back out there! I had to--

Head met ground as I flopped off the bed. Stars blossomed in my vision.

“Whoa there! Take it easy there. You were pretty ****ed up from those bloatsprites.”

The voice was entirely unfamiliar to me and had the exact opposite effect of calming me down. Panic flaired, and I flailed my limbs, trying to right myself and stand up. They weren't quite working how I wanted to them, responding half a second too late to everything I wanted to do. It was like being drunk except my mental processes weren't nearly as impeded.

“I said, take it easy!” I felt myself enveloped in a field of magic. Apparently whoever this pony was, he was a unicorn. He rotated me to face him and spoke veeeery slooooowly, as if I were too stupid to understand him. To be fair, I hadn't really given him any indication otherwise, but it was still insulting. “Caaaalm dowwwn.”

“Fine, just put me down. This is humiliating.” I had the feeling this buck could wipe the floor with me again, so arguing didn't seem like the most constructive thing at the moment. Still, a bit of dignity would go a long way in my mind. Fortunately, he relaxed and complied. “Thanks. Now I've got a few questions.” Okay, kind of blunt, probably not the best way to open the next part of the conversation.

“Hold it, missy. Mine first.” I hmph'd but didn't say anything else, and he kept going. “Who are you? You shouldered your way into my shop and passed out on my floor first thing in the morning. I don't think I've ever pulled as many spikes from a living pony before. And you apparently rolled around in the thing's guts after you killed it.”

I perked up at his question. I was in Chantilly? The last thing I remember was walking along the straight line path I'd picked to get to the town, eyes glued to my E.F.S. for red dots, making decent time. And then... Damn bloatsprites. I must have muttered it out loud, because he gave a little chuckle. “Ayup, you were just studded with their spines. I'm don't know how far you came, but if it was any sort of real distance I'm very impressed.”

My expression must have been one of horror, or something, because he quickly continued. “Now now, don't you fret any, I patched you up, removed the spikes, even cleared the taint you managed to pick up. My treat.” His face turned more serious. “But the next time it happens, I'll have to charge you my going rate. Sixty caps for a basic patch up. Another forty for a taint cleansing. Get both at the same time and you get a free rad-cleansing. Your little treatment is a hundred caps of my goodwill. I won't collect on it now, but I might ask for a favor done later, m'kay?”

Huh. Well, that wasn't as bad as it could have been. This doctor seemed like a good pony. “I'm still waiting for an answer,” he probed. Oh, right.

“Oh, right. I'm Mint Julep, from Stable 20 across the hills a few miles. I'm looking for some raiders. They attacked our Stable, and took enough to seriously threaten its survival.” That seemed to surprise him.

“Raiders? Attacked the Stable? Damn, they're getting bold. That's bad.” He paused lost in thought.

“Um, excuse me? I do need to find them.” Figured I'd just throw that out there.

That seemed to startle him out of his thoughts. “Oh, yeah. Tell you what, I'll call in that favor now, actually. You're looking for that raider camp? I know the general direction.” He paused, as if conflicted. “I want you to scout it out. Figure out how many raiders there are. How well they're armed. What their leader looks like. Take that information to the local sheriff, goes by the name Splinter. You'll know him when you see him.”

He paused again, as if waiting for me to weigh in. When I didn't, he kept going. “You do that for me, and I'll call us even. Hell, I'd even give you a discount for services provided in the future, if'n you ever need them.”

Well then. I'd been awake in this town for a grand total of ten minutes, and I already had another job to do. Fortunately, coincided with what I was already doing, but still. I didn't need anything getting in my way. On the other hand, he was offering a discount, and I didn't have many caps to my name. A discount might go a long way.

I thought it over for a few more seconds. “Alright, but I could use some supplies too. And I still don't even know your name, mister...?”

“Bonesaw. I know, it sounds gruesome, but don't get caught up on it.” He trotted over to a cabinet in the corner of the room, a room with only one door and no windows, I noted for some strange reason, and pulled out an object before handing it to me. It was some kind of armored barding. Not very heavy or the best protection you'd ever find, but a hell of a lot better than anything I had with me or ever used. “Years back I used to run with one of the smaller gangs around Fillydelphia, before Red Eye really moved in and cleaned up the place. Called ourselves the 'Delphia Delvers. Made our living and got our kicks exploring the ruins of the inner city. The gang is gone, scattered across the wastes, but this was our uniform. It's better than it looks, trust me on that.”

It certainly didn't look like much; it'd take a lot to disappoint. The old uniform fit me better than I thought it would, especially considering how much bigger Bonesaw was than me. What I assumed to be the gang symbol, an old spelunking helmet, was emblazoned on each flank where it covered my cutie mark. It wasn't much, and wouldn't stop the kind of rifle the raider I encountered yesterday had, but it might have stopped the smaller pistol bullet that gave me a lot of grief. Much better. My only gripe was that it was heavier than I was used to.

“You're gonna have to find your own ammo for that peashooter though. I don't bring guns in here, and even if you'd have been conscious I'd have taken yours and left it in the waiting room before letting you back here. It's on the end table as you're leaving.”

I graciously thanked him for the help he'd given me already. Just as easily, he could have either let me die, or taken everything I had and I would have been powerless to stop him. Instead, I was fully healed, and now I had something that might actually stop more than a particularly persistent tree branch from poking a hole in me.

Before I left, he marked on my map the general direction of the raider camp. It was a fair distance away, further than Stable 20 was, but in a different direction. “Anything else I should watch out for on my way there?” It didn't hurt to double check.

Bonesaw shook his head, “not that I know of. Don't mean there's nothing, though. You be careful.”

That was all I really needed from this place. I bid him farewell, picked up my SMG and the less than a dozen bullets I had left for it and headed out into the street. Walking out into the open air made me flinch a little bit, but I'd already spent the better part of a day on the surface; I would be fine. I exited the building into what had to be the brightest part of the day. Apparently the much better part of the day, it must be nearly noon already, maybe even past that. That told me roughly how long I'd been out, at least.

The town I was in spectacularly failed to impress me. There must only have been a couple score ponies living here, spread over enough distance that no two houses stood together and most were separated by a hundred feet or so in most directions. A general store, complete with fluorescent sign and “OPEN” sign greeted me just across the street, and a rudimentary inn stood down the street, proudly proclaiming itself to the the “Sandpony Inn.” Really, not impressed, especially coming out of the Stable.

Unfortunately, beggars can't be choosers, and I trotted over to the general store. I did need ammo rather badly, after all. The door was open, if you considered “hanging off its hinges” to mean “open.” Walking in, I was greeted by a very stern looking mare who was very quick to tell me that troublemakers were not welcome and would be dealt with immediately. I'm not going to lie, she was pretty intimidating. Any non-existent thoughts I had of making trouble swiftly became even moreso.

The counter was right in front of me as I walked into the shop, with a jovial and rather large (and definitely less muscular than not) stallion manning the helm. I really took the gruff mare's words to heart as I approached. “I need some ammo.” There. Quick, precise, and to the point.

The stallion just chuckled and said “like hell you do! What you need is a proper piece of weaponry! What the hell kind of a gun is that? How hard did you have to look to find a knife with more rust than steel? No, that just won't do.”

I fancied myself a decent barterer and a fair-to-middling salespony, but this buck blew me out of the water at the ease at which he relaxed me, lowered my guard, and opened me to the concept of spending all of my money right then and there. Fortunately I wasn't entirely wrong, and managed to get a few good points of my own into the haggle that I never expected to get into. I sold my SMG and the ammo I had for it (it really was junk, and I couldn't afford to support it) for a few quick caps, and then turned around and spent them all, and all of the 40 caps I started with on a decent quality shotgun and three dozen shells for it, about eight of which were slugs instead of normal buckshot. I kept the knife. There was something special about it, in my eyes.

“You come back now, ya hear? Customers from out of town that come back more than twice get a one-time bit of store credit.” Damn he was good, somehow just him mentioning store credit made me want to come back. I was really starting to like this town. Might even come back here in a few years, after all this business was done, the Stable was back to normal, and I was able to con some poor pony into running the bar for me. Some day.

The whole town was circled by a picket fence. It was more of a “watch out, town here” sign than any serious kind of deterrent to anything that wanted to get in. On my way to the gate, I realized why the houses were so spread apart: nearly all of them had little farms around them. About a dozen ponies were actively out in the fields, weeding rows of crop, repairing small barbed wire fences that cordoned off the individual plots, or doing laundry, or any number of chores. It felt just laid back enough to be comfortable, and just hard working enough to feel something close to safe. I almost didn't want to leave and finish my mission at all.

Almost.

I almost at the gate when one of the townsponies, a mare, caught up with me. “Hey, you, newcomer. You're not headed for that raider camp, are you?”

Goddesses, how did word travel that fast? I tried to downplay the matter, and probably failed. “I might be. Why?”

Yep, definitely failed. Her eyes lit up and it looked like at least a little weight had been lifted from her shoulders. “My name is Dacquoise. The raiders... two months ago, they took my son when he was scavenging for equipment along the road south of here.” South? The raider camp, according to my map, was a decent distance north-east of the town.  Wariness crept into my mind. “I hold no illusions that he's still alive, they are raiders after all, but he had a precious family heirloom with him when he went missing. I need it back.”

Two months. I guess that made more sense than the few days or hours that I had been thinking. You know what, why the hell not? I was already heading that way, I might as well look for this heirloom she was talking about. “I look out for it, but I can't make any promises.”

That seemed to satisfy her. “That's all I'm asking. Trust me, you can't miss it. It's a small statuette of
one of the old Ministry Mares, Pinkie Pie. It was given to my family as a gift before the war ended, and we've kept it in the family ever since. It means so much to me. Those raiders may have taken my son, but I'll die before I let them keep that, too.” I admired her dedication to the ideal of causing raiders pain. I know I just said I wouldn't make any promises, but this had just jumped to near the top of my priorities list.

“I'll do my best.” We parted ways, her spirits considerably raised, my motivation considerably boosted now that I had another way to hurt raiders.

I actually got out the gate this time before I got stopped again. “Hey, are you headed to the raider camp?”

My patience was wearing more than a little thin. Was I really that easy to read? How could walking in this general direction unequivocally mean 'going to raider camp'? “What is it this time?” I snapped at the newcomer.

He was a light gray earth pony stallion with a darker, charcoal mane that drifted into his eyes and around his nose. Probably around my age or maybe a little younger and most definitely easy on the eyes. Well, at least I thought so, which probably wasn't saying much considering I spent most of my time up to this point staring at walls all day. Not the point. The point was that he was a very handsome piece of work.

“Oh! Uhm, sorry about that,” I said sheepishly. Why was I so flustered all of a sudden? “I'm just trying to get out of town and do my job, and ponies keep stopping me.”

Wait a second, did he just blush? I couldn't be sure, what with the dark(ish) coat and the mane partly covering his face, but it sure looked like it. “I, ah, well... I saw you walking this way and, uhm, I, well, thought you could use some h-help? Maybe?”

Oh, well if that wasn't just adorable. Definitely younger, or maybe didn't get out much. I thought over his offer. It was true I could use the help. If there was anything my two encounters with the things the Wasteland could throw at me was any indication, I would be hard pressed to deal with an entire camp of raiders without leaving my body decorating the ground in the middle of nowhere. Or some raider-pony's armor. Okay, moving on from that pleasant thought.

I probably – well, okay, definitely put more show into mulling it over than I actually did, just to see his reaction. He looked so nervous! It was definitely cute, and that quality about him was honestly not a non-factor in my decision.

“I don't know, can you handle yourself in a fight?” Simple question, important question, and, I thought, fairly warranted. It had the unintentional effect of blasting all that cute nervousness away like fog on a hot day.

“Probably a lot better than you can, from the looks of you when you stumbled in earlier,” he said with a fierce but not unfriendly glare. Ooh, ouch. Well, that was certainly true. It was about then that I noticed what he was wearing. It was some kind of armored gear that I had never seen before. It had what looked like a pair of rifles mounted on it with imposingly large barrels, and the way he carried himself told me he knew how to use them. Well, he was certainly more intimidating than I was.

I winced. “Point taken. You can come along if you want, just know that I'm not headed there to slaughter the camp. I'm just looking around.”

My response didn't bother him in the slightest, if looks were any indication. “I know, Bonesaw briefed me before I set off after you.” Hmm, looked like I owed Bonesaw twice now. Maybe even three times, depending on how this little jaunt went.

“Did he know? I'll have to have a word with him when we get back.” I started off in the direction of the camp. These delays were getting tiresome; I didn't want to have to travel by night again, especially since it looked to be cross-country again. I looked back. He wasn't following. “Hey, are you coming or not?”

He kind of stared at me for a few seconds, like he couldn't believe what he was seeing. “You're not from around here, are you? It's faster to take the roads around here, and you're much less likely to run into something nasty than if you're just walking across the hills.”

Well didn't I feel stupid now. With quiet indignation I trotted back to the road and turned the direction that looked like it would take us closest to the camp, according to my map. Ignoring that little mishap, I tried to strike up a conversation. “So, Bonesaw sent you did he....”

“Uh, yeah. I mean, yes, yes he did. I was worr- I mean he was worried about you getting there and back in one piece. Uhm, no offense.” Now that I apparently wasn't challenging his stallionhood or doing something stupid, it looked like he was getting nervous again. Oh, this was going to be fun!

Footnote: Level Up.
New Perk: Hard Bargain -- Your bartering expertise can save you a lot of caps. You now receive an automatic 5% better prices during any transaction.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Scotty's Writing Thread - updated 06/06
Friendship is Power
Chapter Four: Foundation
“The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.”

Traveling with a companion was wonderful! Even though I may have been pretty observant under ideal conditions, I just didn't know enough about the great outdoors of the Wasteland to recognize and avoid the dangers hiding under every rock and bush. Jasper sure did. He even took the time to point out the signs to avoid for some of the more common creatures. Thanks to him, I now knew exactly what a bloatsprite nest looked like, and how to avoid the things if they were out and about. I would never have guessed that what I had previously thought were beehives (at least, that was what the picture books from when I was a filly told me) were actually bloatsprite dens. Learn something new every day.

In between my lessons, we talked about where we were from, how we'd grown up. You know, the kind of things people talk about when they're bored, traveling with each other, and met for the first time only recently. At first, it was hard (although decidedly not frustrating) trying to get him to open up a bit. For the entire first hour of the trip, I swear he didn't stop stuttering and blushing for more than ten minutes, unless he was talking about the wastes or I challenged one of his skills or the other. I think sometime around the end of the second hour something clicked and he realized we'd be in close proximity for at least the next couple days, and maybe beyond that. He was still adorably nervous, but had a tighter rein on it. Even then, despite my best efforts, he neatly sidestepped or redirected every question I threw at him, and none of my best charm and persuasion got him to give up anything.

Jasper and I were about five hours travel from Cantilly, as near as my pipbuck clock and map could tell me. We weren't hurrying, and good thing, too. Hurrying would have gotten us there sometime around sunset, and fighting raiders in the dark did not appeal to me at all. No, instead we took a leisurely walk down the road, and were about two hours of decent walking from the general area of the raider encampment according to Bonesaw's directions when Jasper told me now would be a good time to make camp.

His reasoning was simple enough. In the middle of the overcast night it was magnitudes harder to scan for all the little signs and give aways that kept our trip here trouble-free for as long as it had been. Plus, fighting in the middle of the night is a lot more hazardous and difficult than a broad daylight gunfight, assuming we weren't the ones doing the ambushing.

I wasn't personally one for camping, much preferring a nice warm bed and roof than wide open sky and whatever bedroll you brought with you, of which I did not have one. Fortunately, Jasper had two, which I found out after an absolutely hilarious little exchange where he tried to make a joke about sharing a bedroll but only got halfway through the delivery before stuttering to an embarrassed halt, blushing so much that I thought his face would catch on fire or something. When asked why he carried around two bedrolls in his saddlebags, he declined to comment.

Before tonight, I had never actually spent a night outside that didn't consist of me fighting for my life against mutated insects. With a nicely burning campfire, a comfortable bedroll (I was certain he gave me the better one), and a companion who knew exactly what he was doing, it was quite the experience. Even under the oppressive cloud cover intrinsic to the wastes, the night was wonderful. Not too hot, not too cold, not rainy, not too dry.

It felt like a set-up. I don't know how or why I thought that, but I did.

Then I realized: I couldn't hear anything besides the crackling fire and Jasper finishing up his latest story.

“...And by the time we got the bucket off, the whole place was on fire!” Despite my sudden unease, it was a legitimately funny story, and I laughed along with him. It didn't look like he noticed. Time to fix that.

As he started in on the next part, I cut him off, “Jasper, wait. Listen,” I stopped to give him a few seconds to listen and come to the same conclusion I did. Complete silence came over the little camp as he did so. “I don't hear anything.” I was on full alert, looking at every shadow like it was some horrid monstrosity waiting to jump into the light. “What does that mean out here in the wastes?”

His smile was gone, replaced by a grim expression that didn't leave me any better at ease. “Well, it can mean one of two things,” he started, “either we just got really lucky and everything in the area is away from home hunting or foraging or whatever and isn't around to bother something, or...” he trailed off.

Seriously, not helping. “...Or what?” I pressed, not really looking forward to the answer.

“Or there's something around here that's big, nasty, and mean enough to scare them all quiet.” Yeah, definitely had not been looking forward to that. If there was something nasty enough to do that to the kind of monsters living in the wastes, what chance did we have against it?

“And can you think of any creature that fits the bill, off the top of your head?”

Jasper just shook his head. “A manticore might, but there hasn't been a manticore within ten miles of Cantilly for as long as I can remember.”

A chill made its way down my spine. A manticore? No, wait, he said no manticore. “Anything else?” I inquired, still intensely ill at ease. My eyes darted around our surroundings, desperate to pick out what could be wrong with the scene. As quietly and unobtrusively as I could, I slipped my combat shotgun out of my bags and loaded it. Two buckshot, one slug, two buckshot, one slug. Hopefully whatever it was wasn't looking for a fight, and the buckshot would get it to go away without seriously pissing it off.

Jasper was just as quietly readying his battlesaddle, or so he called it. Considerably quieter than I was being, actually. I figured just with how heavy it was that it would make noise, but he seemed to know exactly how to stop that from happening.

He stood up, motioned me to stay here and be quiet with a few hoof gestures, and then melted into the night. I wouldn't have a made a sound even if he hadn't bidden me to, seeing him there one minute and gone the next rendered me speechless. I couldn't hear or see him at all. The ease at which he disappeared what simply unbelievable. He didn't even show up on my E.F.S. as the tell-tale blue pip of 'friendly.' Unreal.

Time passed agonizingly slowly. I couldn't tell if it had been minutes or hours since he vanished. Every passing moment had me looking more fervently into the darkness, paranoia fuelling my still slowly rising apprehension.

Jasper appeared next to me so suddenly that it was a monumental exercise in self-control not to scream like a little filly. I managed, barely.

“We have to leave. Quietly, and right now.” I opened my mouth to protest and immediately reconsidered. Yes, argue with the experienced wasteland survival expert in the middle of the night with something presumably large and dangerous lurking around the corner and you've been out of the Stable for a grand total of a day and a half. Brilliant plan.

Instead, I did the smart thing and packed up as quickly and quietly as I could. My pipbuck light stayed in the securely 'off' position as we made the best time we could through the darkness, going only as fast as we could without raising too much of a commotion. In other words, not as fast as I would have liked. We even left the campfire burning instead of extinguishing it in our haste.

Nearly a full mile and the tensest hour I could ever remember experiencing later, we slowed to a stop. We were situated in the depression between a pair of decently large hills. He was scanning for something, checking the horizon as well as he could in the dark as if there should be something silhouetted against the clouds. After a few minutes of careful observation, he let out a relieved sigh, and I realized that I could hear the local wildlife again.

“What the hell were we just running from?” I was still greatly confused. Terrified, of course, but confused. “I never saw or heard anything.”

“Nor would you have. What we just avoided was an Ursa.” His voice was deadly serious. “Near total invisibility, the size of a large house back in Cantilly. Very quiet unless it's in the middle of a fight. It's probably the most dangerous thing you will ever encounter in the wastes, bar none.”

Well, that was comforting. “We have to tell Cantilly. There's no way anyone there knows about it yet, or Bonesaw would have warned me before we set off. At the very least, would have warned you.”

“That's for sure. Unfortunately, we're too far from the town to get back anytime soon. It didn't look like it was headed for Cantilly, but honestly I could barely tell where it was, much less where it was going. Travelling at night around here is a Bad Idea unless you want to end up on the wrong side of an ambush, and it'd take half a day to get there.” He shook his head, and then continued, “no, we've got to keep going.”

I didn't like it, and I told him as much. It didn't shake him.

“Trust me, that town can take care of itself. These raiders are honestly a bigger threat just because they have a reason to stop at the town if they wander by, the Ursa doesn't.” I'm glad he was so calm about it, that put me at ease more surely than him just saying it. He knew what he was talking about.

We set up camp quickly, getting ready to make the most out of what time we had before dawn. I checked the clock on my pipbuck. Near midnight. Dawn would be in about six, maybe seven hours and I wanted to be well rested before sneaking around a raider camp, but not so much that I'd neglect to keep watch. “You get some rest first. I'll wake you in a few hours to change shift.” He seemed surprised that I came up with that myself. I was slightly offended. I may be new to the wastes, but I wasn't stupid, and I was a quick learner. I gave him my best glare, and he shut his mouth without arguing and curled up on the bedroll. A few minutes later, I could hear his light snoring.

One thing I hadn't remembered was how paranoid I was. Every shadow became a monster waiting for me to nod off. Every shaking brush was an Ursa, come to finish the job it missed the first time.

Three very nerve-wracking hours later, I nudged Jasper awake for him to take his shift. He gave me a nasty look, but got up all the same. Being on a bedroll instead of awake and staring at shadows didn't make it any easier to go to sleep. I kept imagining the worst possible outcome, and how if I were to fall asleep, it would undoubtedly happen.

The next thing I knew, Jasper was shaking me awake, telling me it was time to move. It was still dark, yes, but a subtle lightening tint lifted the intense feeling of gloom that had plagued me all night. The fire was already extinguished, and he was already all packed up, battlesaddle loaded and ready for any unwanted surprises. I made sure my shotgun was loaded (still) and shoved it in my saddlebags such that it would be easy to whip it out at a moment's notice.

I nodded my readiness, and we were off. Being so close to the raider camp, only a couple of miles at most, meant we were trying not to be too loud on our approach. We had a few simple objectives. One, get in without getting caught. Two, find the supplies from the Stable. Three, identify the raiders' strength, equipment, and leadership. Four, find the statuette. I'd filled Jasper in on the first three, but the fourth felt more like a personal obligation. Should all be easy enough. The trick was getting in and out without being caught and killed. Yeah. Easy.

It was a larger camp than I expected. It was also situated adjacent to an abandoned town that looked like it had been abandoned at least since the balefire bombs dropped that my pipbuck helpful and inexplicably labeled “Everfree Mills”. I was quick to note that the raiders seemed to have erected barricades between all of the buildings closest to the camp that they could. That made me immediately nervous. If the raiders were trying to defend themselves from that direction, there must be something nasty in there, even if I couldn't see it from here.

The camp itself was a haphazard collection of a half dozen ancient buildings and about a dozen tents. The tents combined with the buildings to fill out a roughly rectangular area only a little removed from the closest town buildings. It looked like a couple of the camp buildings weren't even being used. We were currently situated near the top of a nearby hill (not the very top, silhouetting yourself is bad), which gave us an excellent vantage point on the raiders walking around below.

In a few ways, it was too good. They were raiders, with everything that entails. I might not be able to smell everything as well as up close, but I could see the 'decorations.' In turn, I decorated the side of the hill a little bit. Repeatedly. That was going to be a problem. If I was voiding my guts just by being within sight of the damn place, it was going to be an exercise in futility to sneak around down there.

“Jasper?” I asked tentatively.

“Yeah?”

“I need a distraction.” There. Might as well be blunt about it.

He just blinked. “Uhm, are you crazy? There has to be two dozen raiders down there! Being a distraction would be suicide!”

Okay, looks like being blunt didn't work, now to try for smooth. “You're a big, strong buck, aren't you? I'm sure it'd be a piece of cake.” I gave him my best flattering grin and suggestive wiggle. “I'd be ever so grateful if you did it.”

He stiffened up so much I thought he was going to fall over. Wasn't that just adorable? “I'll take that as a 'yes'.”

We took the time to formulate a plan. Wouldn't do to get killed because we didn't know what the other was doing. It was pretty simple, not too difficult (relatively) for either party, and, most importantly, it existed, as opposed to a half though-up scheme that we would just wing though anyway.

Jasper would 'entice' the raiders patrolling the immediate area with a few well placed rifle rounds, hopefully thinning the ranks by a few before he had to move. When he did, he would head straight for the abandoned town. He knew all the signs and what to avoid for the most part, so I wasn't worried about him. He would lead the raiders that went after him on a merry chase through the abandoned buildings until they got bored, all died, or I finished my job. While doing this, he'd take mental notes on what the raiders were carrying, and hopefully who was leading them.

While he was doing that, my 'job' was to scour the raider camp for the stolen supplies, look for any survivors in the cages and tents down there (assuming I didn't vomit myself into unconsciousness before I got to them), and look for the statuette. I didn't tell him that last part. Didn't seem particularly important. When my job was done, I was to send up the signal, in this case a simple, harmless bolt of light from my horn like a flare.

Jasper readied his weapons again, little more than a calming exercise before he set up in a decent vantage point where they would be able to see him when he opened fire, but wouldn't be able to close very rapidly. The whole point of the distraction was to buy time, after all.

I crept as close as I thought I would be able to without being seen to by the patrolling raiders and waited for the first shots.

They were louder than I expected, twin thunderclaps that almost hurt my ears even from two hundred yards away. The raider closest to my position blinked off of my E.F.S.'s display. The twin hammers cracked twice more in quick succession, dropping another red bar from the display but only wounding another. His very loud curse was pain-laced and slurred, but he was still alive.

Jasper fired one more time, finishing off the wounded raider before sprinting for the town. A mass of red pips lit up my E.F.S. Before most of them started moving in his direction. Five, ten, fifteen dots trailed after the lone blue dot on my scope. Several stayed. Well ****. I kicked myself for not expecting the raiders to leave guards.

No matter, I'd just have to deal with them. I crept around the outside tent and got a good look at the 'courtyard' between the buildings.

I threw up.

I kept going.

I had to find the supplies, any captives, and the statuette. Supplies, captives, statuette. I repeated them in my head like a mantra to keep me from losing my breakfast again and again. The raiders had apparently left six on-duty (or off-duty, I wasn't sure) guards in the camp when they headed out. The one closest to me was walking around the ring of tents slowly. Maybe he was doing laps around the camp, maybe he was on a patrol, maybe he was just so bat**** crazy that he though he was walking in a straight line. I didn't particularly care. I found an alcove that was hidden from view of the rest of the guards that I could see (four in all) between a pair of tents on the lone patrolling guard's path. I readied my knife; the shotgun would bring them running, and then I'd be ****ed.

He passed in front of me, and I threw the knife as hard as I could with my magic. It was a beautiful throw. The knife stuck in the back of his head and he went down like a sack of bricks. I didn't think any of the other guards saw, mostly because there were no shouts, no gunshots, no raiders-come-running. Excellent.

The handiest thing about telekinesis, I think, is that you don't have to be right next to the thing you want to move. I grasped the knife stuck in his skull from my hiding place and tugged until it came back out. The blood on the blade made still made me heave, but at least I hadn't had to shoot him.

By some miracle of circumstance, the tents nearest me all had flaps facing out of the circle, meaning I could get in and out without stepping into the wide-open middle of the camp. Oh yeah, and the mutilated corpses all around it. That was a nice bonus, too.

I could check four tents without wandering in front of a guard, from the looks of it. I idly wondered if they had a schedule to keep, but dismissed the thought. They were raiders, how organized could they be?

The first tent had nothing of note, not even a sleeping mat. Just a dirt floor and four tent walls.

The second tent had a footlocker with a 10 mm pistol almost identical to the one I'd left the vault with, a dozen 10 mm rounds, and three shotgun shells. Now this, I could use. The 10 mm rounds were the same kind as the ones I'd put through my SMG against the bloatsprites and raiders, but the shotgun shells threw me off a bit. They weren't the same as the buckshot and slugs that I already had with me. These ones were marked ‘4/0 buck’. I had no idea what it meant by that, but I kept them anyway. More ammo was always useful.

I was in the middle of looking through the third tent in the row (this one actually had a legitimate bed in it. I was impressed) when a raider walked in on me. Surprise widened her eyes, her horn flashed, and up came a pistol that I'd never seen before. That wasn't really saying much, obviously, but it was significantly different from my 10 mm. It was a revolver, for one, but the biggest difference was the scope, of all things, mounted on top. My shotgun left its rudimentary holster as she fired her first shot.

Sweet Celestia! That was almost as loud as Jasper's rifles! It's a very good thing she missed, even if that huge crack was the only meter to judge its potential lethality. My shotgun didn't. I have to admit, shotguns cover that base pretty well. Pellets found chinks in armor, and perhaps more importantly exposed flesh in the form of her head and neck. Unfortunately for me, that shot didn't kill her.

If the shots we'd just exchanged weren’t going to bring the whole camp running, the wounded howl she gave next sure would. Strips of flesh hung from her ruined face and blood trickled out from the dozens of small perforations in her exposed neck and where the pellets had gone through armor. My bile rose, and I had to push it down hard.

I must have blinded her or something, because she started firing as fast as she could in my general direction. I dove out of the way behind the bed, hoping that the flimsy covers and mattress would at least slow the bullet enough that I'd survive a hit. A couple of them even hit my general side of the tent. The gun clicked empty after only five more shots (very useful to know) and she tried to get out of the tent before I returned fire. She half made it, and then got very lucky when my next shot missed. At the very least she was out of the fight for now, and I would welcome any favors I could get, seeing as I now had a half dozen angry raiders descending on my position. They'd be here any second.

I had two choices. I could hunker down in this tent, try to find some cover, set up an ambush, something like that. That felt like a bad idea, considering there was no cover in the tent, and it was a tent, with the canvas-thin walls that implies. So I ran for it. As quietly as I could, which probably wasn't very quiet, all things considered.

I knew, or rather suspected, that the building closest to this tent was currently unused. At the very least, it wasn't decorated, and there hadn't been any raiders walking around it outside. It was my best option; the door was hanging off its hinges away from the doorframe, and the coast looked clear. I covered the three dozen yards in between in a matter of a few seconds. Not quite fast enough to outright escape detection from the incoming raiders. At least one of them saw me enter the building. I heard shouts as I bolted through the door, but any incoming shots missed horribly enough that they didn't even hit where I could hear them as I quickly took in my surroundings.

The room looked like the main room to a bar, complete with bartop, behind the counter area, scattered stools, and a few ruined booths. My immediate instinct was to dive behind the bar with my shotgun and wait for the raiders to walk through the door. Panic was strangely absent from my thoughts, fortunately, and I realized that if it was the first thing I thought of, it was the first thing they'd think of too. Instead I kept moving straight through the building, looking for an exit. There wasn't another door to be found, but I did find a staircase in the next room and took it without hesitation.

Upstairs had to be sleeping quarters or guest rooms, with a long hallway that split at the end of the hall with single doors down the length. I could hear the raiders entering the first level. Not good, I didn't have much time. I ran down the hall, looking for a door that wasn't locked. No luck, no luck, no luck, no lu--. The fourth one I tried stuck for a second, and then gave up, swinging into a room that was obviously lived in, and just as obviously not home to a raider. I slammed the door behind me and turned to inspect the room.

Surprise found a spot on my face when I saw, prominently displayed on the end-table next to a surprisingly comfortable looking bed, the figure of Pinkie Pie. Unreal. The one door that hadn't been locked. I felt like getting this lucky now would end up biting me in the flank later on.

Better not waste it now. I intended to just grab the figurine and hide, no questions asked, but when I enveloped it in my magic, the shock almost made me drop it. I couldn't really explain it. I felt... sharper. Like I could see and hear better than ever. I examined the statuette a little more closely. Around the bottom it read “Awareness! It was under “E”!” I didn't know exactly what that meant, but it felt significant.

Reality snapped back into focus. I heard the raiders rummaging around the building below me, making sure I wasn't hidden away on the ground floor before sweeping the upstairs. I could hear muffled mutterings through the floor as raiders called to one another that one part of a room or the other was clear. Dammit! If only I could hear what they were doing more clearly, I might be able to set up an ambush.

A sudden flash of inspiration struck me. I channeled a bit of magic into my horn, and carefully, tentatively, hopefully pressed it against the floor. My hearing dulled and became muffled for half a second, and then slowly came back into focus, but with one major difference. Now I could hear the raiders' every word.

“Stark, Cut, check upstairs. Blast, cover the way we came in. I'll check the basement. Move.”

I heard a chorus of affirmatives, and one quietly added “that ***** is going to pay. Health potions are expensive.” ****, the raider I thought was out of action was down there too. A small, ignored voice thought that these ponies didn't sound like raiders.

Think, think, think! How could I even the odds? There was the sound of footsteps headed up the stairs, I had maybe thirty seconds before they found my room, and me in it. I shifted my horn to the wall adjacent to the hallway they were in. Muffled voices flashed into clarity again, and I could hear everything. One of them was just muttering various profanities, most often “*****, ****, twat” and the like. I figured that was scoped-pistol raider. I still couldn't see them, and without that I couldn't set up anything that could possibly be guaranteed to get both of them.

I tried something else. My horn flared brighter, and the sound faded away entirely. Instead, it was replaced by a very blurry image of the raiders walking down the hallway. Disappointingly (if I could be disappointed at how awesome this newfound ability was), I could only see them from a point on the wall directly where my horn touched. No matter, now I could see everything. Including the grenades hung across the rear-most raider's bandoleer. Cue wicked grin.

I tried to use my telekinesis, but it felt magnitudes harder than usual. I strained, pouring every ounce of my power into pulling the pin on one of those grenades. A small voice in the back of my head was cheering about how awesome this was going to sound as a story I told my foals someday. I couldn't see it, eyes clenched shut in concentration, still magically staring at the grenades taunting me on the other side of the wall, but an overglow stretched around my horn, fully illuminating the room I was standing in. The strain was actually starting to hurt. If it didn't happen soon, I was going to be a sit--

The pin popped free with a metallic clink. Success! A wave of dizziness ended with me pulling my head away from the wall. Good thing, too. I heard the curse loud and clear even without eavesdropping, and the explosion that followed still knocked me to the floor, even through the door.

In retrospect, probably a very good thing that my horn came away from contact with the wall, or I would have seen the carnage happen firsthand. As it was, I still vomited when I staggered out of the room anyway, as soon as I saw the new wallpaper.

Hoofsteps thundered up the stairs as the two raiders downstairs rushed to investigate the explosion. I readied my shotgun and aimed down the hallway, half-ducked into the door to get the most cover I could. The first raider came charging into my field of vision and went down in a spectacular spray of blood as my shotgun slug buried itself deep in his torso. Holding down the bile was easier that time, although that might have been because bits and pieces of raider still decorated the hallway and made my expressionist painting session seem a little less significant.

I was feeling pretty damn proud of myself. I'd killed and/or seriously injured four raiders, one of them twice without taking a single hit.  There was just one thing that bugged me about this whole thing.

None of them felt like raiders.

The first one I'd killed I hadn't been close enough to get a good look at, but he hadn't reeked like the raiders in the house that I'd encountered first, and like most of the raiders we'd seen looked like they would smell like. I'd pulled the pin on the one decorating the hall without getting a really clear look at him. The one that I had first shot and then presumably knocked out with the grenade explosion (she didn't look quite dead yet) had been entirely justified in calling me all sorts of mean and hurtful names. After all, I did shoot her. The room I had just busied myself rummaging through was decidedly not a raider hovel, judging by the courtyard outside.

Who were these ponies?

I didn't have very much time to ponder my newfound question. A grenade sailed up the stairs and bounced down the hall. I quickly wrapped it in a field of my magic to send it flying back down the stairs to the stupid idiot who threw it up against what he knew had to be a unicorn.

It exploded before I even fully wrapped it in magic. The explosion blinded and deafened me momentarily, and opened a score of cuts along any exposed part of my coat. A dozen small cuts on my face and lower legs contributed a dull throbbing ache to my sensory issues and headache, and a few more major shrapnel wounds threatened to make major issues of themselves unless I got some kind of attention before trying to get anywhere exceptionally fast. All things considered, I was probably pretty lucky, but I sure didn't feel like it.

I staggered against the room door and fell over, deliberately directing my fall into the room instead of out into the hallway. I pried open my eyes and blinked rapidly, trying to clear the splotches before the last whatever-he-was came up after me. I staggered to my hooves, readying my shotgun.

The first indication I had that something was wrong was a nasty buck to my flank that knocked the wind out of me and dropped me back to the floor like a sack of potatoes. Dammit! That pony was either impossibly fast, or I'd taken far longer than I should have in recovering. I struggled to draw in air and struggle back upright. A hoof pressed against my neck put a stop the latter pretty quick.

In the time since the grenade went off, my ears had recovered from “completely deaf” to “bell tower ringing” to something that passed for listening devices. Well, for the most part, at least.

“... the hell you are or what the hell you think you're doing here, but I want to know right now where the **** you got this armor.” His request was punctuated with a none-too-subtle application of pressure with his hoof. Resisting or refusing to answer suddenly seemed much less attractive than it did a few seconds ago.

“Bo- -cough, hack- Bonesaw. Doctor in Cantilly. Sent me here to scout raiders.” I wasn't in a hurry to piss this pony off. Telling him whatever I thought he wanted to hear sounded like the best option available.

That only seemed to make him press harder, for reasons that made no sense to me, or, more probably, made no sense to any sane pony in general. “Don't lie to me, *****. Tell me. Where. Did. You. Get. This. Uniform!”

The pressure on my throat made it hard to breath, especially after everything that had just happened, and what was still going on, for that matter. “Not lying!” I gasped out. “That's what he told me.” I sucked in air. “Big buck, tan, golden-brown mane and tail. Cutie mark was a medical saw,” I spat out as fast as I could. I really didn't relish the thought of dying like my first raider.

Suddenly, the pressure was gone. I took a massive, shuddering gulp of air. No sooner had I started breathing regularly again was I roughly jerked to my feet to look my de-facto captor in the eyes. His face was pretty horribly scarred, missing half of an ear, what looked like massive claw marks running from left eye to his chin, reappearing on his neck and disappearing beneath the collar of his armor. His coat was some kind of pale blue color, like the displays on my pipbuck, and his mane was a much darker blue. One eye was this red/pink color, and the other, the left one, was just a white sphere. He'd probably lost it when he got the scar.

“You're a lucky little ****, you know that? If you had just told me anything, and I do mean anything else, and you wouldn't have gotten back up. Ever. I'd have left you here for the raiders to have their fun with, especially after you did this to my team. But now, I want you to take a message back to the pretentious asshole that gave you this.”

I was very clearly deeply involved in something that went back more than just a raider camp. I gulped nervously. “And that is?” I probed, eager to get out of here, but also even more nervous about setting him off. He seemed to be neither the most stable nor the most... forgiving pony in the wastes.

There was a barely contained fury just waiting to find an unfortunate target, seething under a carefully controlled facade. “You tell him this, and exactly this: 'Sparky knows what you did, and you're next.' Word for ****ing word.” He stormed out the door and was down the stairs by the time I made it to the door.

The female unicorn that I'd already almost killed twice today gave a feeble stir. Looked like she wasn't dead after all. I wasn't above sucking up to the very-angry pony that had just exited ahead of me, and decided to help the poor mare. She was in bad shape. I assume she'd had a healing potion, because her face wasn't a bloody mess in and of itself. The shock, overpressure, and shrapnel from the grenade had ruptured something important. Blood was spilling from her mouth and nose, and her ears were missing the tips and also bleeding. Shrapnel had torn large holes in her barding, even if most of them hadn't plunged deep enough to do serious damage. She looked like she had maybe an hour without attention. Two, at the most.

I had a healing potion, but I was loathe to use it if I didn't have to. I checked through her bags (and unloaded her weapons as I found them, just in case) for anything that might help. There! She had another health potion. Another two, actually. I snuck one into my saddlebags even as I practically fed the other one to her.

I almost left right then and there, before she fully regained consciousness. All things considered, it would have been the smart thing to do. I'd almost killed her twice in the space of ten minutes. But, unfortunately, I'm not always the most clever pony to ever live.

She punched me in the face. I reeled back, blood flowing from my nose as she stood up. She punched me again. Have I mentioned just how stupid of an idea this was? Then she rummaged around in her bags, pulled out her pistol, and shot me.

She wasn't aiming to kill, just hurt, and badly. I couldn't really blame her, not really. It still hurt, a brilliant white pain shooting into my flank. It hurt a lot. Fortunately, it wasn't nearly as vital of an area as the last shot I took had gone. Getting shot in the ass is hardly as life-threatening as taking a shot to the chest.

“I know you've got a healing potion. Now we're even.” Well that was good, at least. It game me some cold comfort as I writhed in pain in the middle of the floor.

As she left, I popped the healing potion I took from her bags out of mine and downed it. Oh, Luna that was so much better. My shrapnel wounds closed back up, the bullet in my flank was ejected and the entry wound closed back up. My bruised neck even felt better. Now I could get back to my mis--

My mission. ****. How long had I spent doing this? I still had to find the supplies and rescue any captives I could before I launched the flare. Well, still had to find the supplies. I'd gotten a better look at the pile of “decoration” in the courtyard, and that pretty thoroughly disabused me of the thought that raiders kept prisoners long enough for there to still be a few I needed to help. I trotted downstairs, not really sure if I'd get shot at again or not. Fortunately, “Sparky,” or whatever his name actually was seemed to need me to get to Bonesaw alive. Good on him.

I searched the raider camp top to bottom, or as near as I could in ten more minutes. I found a dozen shotgun shells, another combat shotgun that I took in case I needed more parts, a pair of unused grenades, two (two!) more healing potions, and an assortment of other, smaller guns that I didn't particularly care about. Oh, and a cool hat. It was done in what I learned as a filly was “Appleoosan” style, with a wide brim to keep the sun out of your eyes. I thought I looked rather dashing.

Nowhere did I find supplies. The way Doc described it to me, the supplies-gone-missing were substantial, hard to miss. They weren't here, full stop. Not good. I high-tailed it out of the camp, reached the rendezvous point, and launched my magic flare.

Jasper coughed lightly behind me, making me jump. I hadn't even seen him there when I walked up, but he was there, nonchalant as a pony could be. I arched a quizzical eyebrow in his direction.

“I've been here for a while, now. The raiders followed me into the abandoned town. I had long enough to separate and cut down every single one of them in the time it took you to scout the camp and get back here.”

“That was fifteen raiders. You've got to be kidding me.” I was incredulous.

He just grinned at me. It was insufferable. “Alright, alright. I guess it doesn't matter what actually happened to them as long as we accomplished the objective.” There, diplomatic.

“And, aheh, in your case,l- looks like you picked up a little something, uh, extra,” he nickered, “nice hat.”

I couldn't really tell if he was being serious or sarcastic, so I took it in stride. “Why thank you. I think it's rather dashing.”

I filled him in on the details at the camp, about the not-raiders. He seemed surprised, especially at the part where their leader let me go (relatively) unharmed.

“...And he told me to tell Bonesaw that 'Sparky knows what you did, and you're next.'” I finished. “I have no idea what it means.”

He played it off as if it were a mystery to him too, but I saw the subtle change in his gait, the tightening of the stride. Whoever Sparky was, it must have spooked him. Curious. That was something to ask about sometime later, though, when we weren't still seven hours from Cantilly.

The inventory spell on my Pipbuck might have been wonderful at cataloging and sorting my items and notes, but I liked to go through it myself to keep a realistic handle on what I was carrying around with me. It was doing that I discovered the note.

'Stark Contrast – Mercenary at Arms

Contract information available through

the Manehattan area contract board.'

On the back was written: 'You've proven your worth. If you ever need a helping hoof, check in at the boards and ask for Stark. They'll know what to do.”

Well. That was certainly unexpected. Had I somehow gained an ally in the wastes by almost killing her? The concept was alien to me, but that didn't mean I was blind to the possible benefits. Having a hired gun might not be a bad idea out here from time to time. I'd sleep on it, at least for now.

I switched on the radio and searched for a channel to break the silence during a lull in the conversation on the way back; we didn't have so much to talk about that we'd fill the entire fourteen hours round trip with it. I eventually settled on a station. Some haunting but beautiful music was playing at the moment that I'd never heard before. Hardly a feat, but it was s till something new. More specifically, something new that didn't want to kill me.

“...let me get it right!” The song trailed off and I was left feeling strongly for whatever mare had been doing the singing. Beautiful.

“This is DJ Pon3, and that was Sweetie Belle, singing about that one great truth of the wasteland: every pony has done something they regret. And now, my little ponies, it’s time for the news! Now you ponies remember when I told you ‘bout those two ponies who crawled themselves out of Stable Two? Well...” Oh, so this station played the news, too. Excellent, I needed to find a way to keep up with the wasteland anyway. Then again, this 'Stable-Dweller' as the DJ called her sounded almost too good to be true. My confidence flagged a bit. Looks like I'd have to find a new channel.

I decided to humor it for a few more seconds. “In other news, it looks like one of the towns around Manehattan is about to get a whole lot safer. My sources tell me a pony no one in the area or anywhere has seen before walked into Everfree Mills and cleaned the place out. No more raiders. You know what that means...”

What. My brain practically shut down. That had happened literally hours ago. How the hell had this... DJ Pon3 even heard of it, much less gotten it on the air so fast?

“... and the locals, at least around Cantilly, just call her 'Barkeep.' Nice and simple, I like it. One last thing....”

Jasper, meanwhile, was just chuckling at my apparent cluelessness. When I asked him how the hell the DJ could already know something like that, let alone turn it into something so blatantly over-exaggerated, he just replied with, “DJ Pon3 always knows. If there's one good thing in the wasteland that never changes, that's it.”

Okay then. I gave up trying to figure it out. Besides, being known in the area always comes with a few perks. Maybe I could give this a try.

My mind was awash with possibilities as the next Sweetie Belle song drifted forlornly out of my pipbuck's speakers.

Footnote: Level Up.
New Perk: Open Season -- In combat, you do +10% damage against male opponents. Outside of combat, you'll sometimes have access to unique dialogue options when dealing with the opposite sex.
Quest Perk: Magic Eavesdrop – Using a bit of your magic, you can now listen or see through solid walls as if they were doors or windows just by pressing your horn again them.
Companion Perk: Expert Survivor – As long as Jasper remains in the party, your Survival is increased by 10.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Scotty's Writing Thread - updated 12/05 - Now 20% Cooler!
This is crazy.  In a really good way. :D

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Scotty's Writing Thread - updated 9/02 - Damn the torpedoes!
Welp, this is the first piece of Leviathans I've actually finished. It clocks in at just a hair above 2400 words from start to finish.  I'm not really satisfied with the ending, to be honest, but I also wasn't sure how to make it any better than it is already.  I ended up rewriting it five or six times before I settled on this one.

If you're unsure what Leviathans is, be sure to check out this site.  It's created by Catalyst Game Labs, which are the same guys who're running BattleTech and Shadowrun lately.  For a general idea that ignores lots and lots of subtle things: 1910 Europe, except now there are flying battleships.

Anyway, comments, questions, concerns, thrown refuse are all appreciated below.  Enjoy!

Full Speed Ahead!

The moon hung low in the east, and stars speckled the rest of the night sky, casting a pale, ghostly light across the hull of the Opale.  The destroyer chugged quietly across the sky a thousand meters above the ground, waves cresting and sparkling in the faint illumination.  She and her two nearby sisters turned as one, slewing starboard in perfect synchronicity to stay precisely three kilometers off the Norman shore, the deck listing faintly in the direction of the turn.

Quartier-maître de 1ère classe Aldric Robert clipped his safety line near the gaping hole in Opale's side, admiring the view.  No matter how many times he gazed out across over the rolling sea and distant country-side of his home country, he couldn't suppress the feeling of awe that washed over him.  Truly, he and his countrymen were masters of the air.  How could they not, when their only real opponents were those British pigs on the other side of the Channel?  He inhaled deeply, feeling the salt-tinged air tickle his nostrils, and then turned to examine the strange apparatus secured firmly to the decking near the hole.

Aerial torpedoes looked very little like their seaborne counterparts, he mused.  There was very little sleek or graceful about it, and it was enormous in comparison with its watery brethren.  It rose easily to his chest, nearly a meter and a half tall, and was even wider than that, shaped like a lozenge when viewed from the front, and extended three full meters from nose to tail, propped up on stubby, wheeled legs.  It was, in his estimation, a very ugly piece of machinery.  There was only so much that superior French engineering could do to make something as crude as a torpedo pleasing to the eyes.

What the torpedo lacked in aesthetics of shape, however, it more than made up for with the satisfying whir of a superbly crafted, well-oiled machine, and a few minutes later with the heavy whump of an explosive detonation.  He smiles grimly at that particular thought.  He may dislike the the ugly bulk of the torpedo, but he very much liked what it represented.  A display of French supremacy, and a threat to the British.  There was no finer purpose for a machine to fulfill.

And that brought him back to the reason his section was huddled around the device, the torpedo launch hatch wide open, while several of his compatriots scurried over the finer details, readying the torpedo for launch.  Even as large as it was, this particular torpedo was easily a third smaller than a normal one, and just as much lighter.  A lighter torpedo required less electroid to function, which in turn required less power to produce lift, and allowed a smaller, less-powerful engine to be used to propel it toward the enemy.  Or, as the engineers of the Fleet de Volée had designed, reach 30% further than her larger sisters and maintain the same explosive payload.

Testing new equipment was always risky business, and tonight was no exception.  This would be the second flight of the new type of torpedo, the first having come in the previous day, under the watchful eye of Robert's opposite watch counterpart.  In what seemed like no time at all, Opale's gunnery officer, Sous-Lieutenant aérien Chastain, broke him from his thoughts with a whistle and a beckoning wave.  “Robert!  You're up, final check and clear!”

The quick, terse order brought him fully back to his duties in an instant.  “Oui, Sous-Lieutenant!” he called back, scurrying over to the torpedo and re-clipping his safety link to the conveniently provided snap-hooks on the ceiling.  His hands flew over the engine and electroid tanks, searching for imperfections or imprecisely done checks.  He knew exactly what he was doing, with over three years of checking torpedoes on ships like Opale and her sisters.

The rating who'd performed the initial checks had done well.  He found nothing that needed fixing or adjustment, and moves to stand up, his hand rising in an affirmative gesture.  As he stood, a small flicker caught his eye.  He froze, eyes darting across the torpedo's hull, instantly as alert as he's ever been.  Torpedoes, by their nature, are very volatile to both their users and their targets.  Corrosive, explosive fuels power the engines, their increased power deemed an acceptable trade-off to use in something that's designed to throw itself upon the enemy and explode.  On the other side of the coin, working with such caustic substances is just asking for an accident to happen.  He would take no chances that there was something would go wrong, that spilled fuel would prematurely ignite and turn the serene section of ship into a raging inferno.

Another several minutes of careful inspection revealed nothing out of the ordinary, and he tentatively raised his hand in the 'all-clear' gesture again.  Sous-Lieutenant Chastain looked at him with a questioning expression, eyes nervously darting over to the last passengers in the compartment.  As befit the initial field test of new equipment, the First Officer was also present in the compartment, and several higher ranking officers awaited the display topside, several of them directly involved in the project.  A disaster now would reflect poorly on everyone in the section, and no one bore the brunt of criticism more than the officer whose section it was.  He may not particularly like the Sous-Lieutenant, but he wasn't about to invite disaster just to see him finished, not by a long chalk, and especially not when he'd get a fairly stern reprimand himself.  No, he had to make sure that absolutely nothing was out of the ordinary here. 

His all-clear solidified, and he nodded emphatically, stepping away from the primed, ready to go torpedo, retreating to the bulkhead wall and reclipping his safety link again.  One could never be too careful in a gany, no matter how experienced one happened to be.  Complacency was the leading cause of disaster, after all.

Never once did it cross his mind that complacency need not be involved for disaster to strike.  Sometimes, it's just an accident.  Sometimes, it's just rotten luck.  And some other times, deliberate sabotage.  Robert would never be able to piece together exactly why the test went so horribly wrong, but he got to see every single agonizing second of it as it happened.

As he turned to look at the torpedo as an Aviateur wheeled it toward the hatch, he was in a perfect position to see the thick, bright flash of electricity along the hull, at the exact instant that the rating started the torpedo's engine.  He had half a second to watch in horror at the signs of an impending flashover before the mass of electroid converted itself entirely back to electricity.  The arcing discharges illuminate the rating's face for a brief second, blissfully unaware that his doom is upon him before the fuel in the torpedo detonates.

The spark ignites the fuel reserves, volatile fuel exploding violently in a blazing orange-red fireball of expanding incandescent gasses and flame.  Time practically stopped for the youthful torpedo rating, and he was unable to wrench his eyes away from the disaster as it unfolds.  Until the explosive payload detonated as well, that is.

A powerful shockwave lifted him off his feet and slammed him into the bulkhead headfirst.  Stars exploded into his vision and then blackness.  He had no idea how long he was out for, but it can't have been more than a few seconds, as when he comes to, flames engulf the greater part of the compartment.  Scattered bits and pieces of what used to be the torpedo litter the floor, some of them embedded in the solid steel of the bulkheads.  The unfortunate Aviateur who'd unwittingly set off the explosion was nowhere to be found.  Robert had the sickening thought that there wasn't anything to be found of him.

He pressed aside the morbid thought, hauling himself to his feet.  Or at least, he tried to.  The moment he put weight on his left arm, it buckled and sent a white-hot pain lancing through him.  He didn't stop to find out what the problem is, taking his weight off his injured limb and hauling himself to his feet via his clip.

Now that he was back on his feet, unsteady as he may be, he surveyed the damage done.  It was immediately crystal clear that the compartment is ruined and will require extensive repair to get back into working order.  The torpedo launch tube was easily half again larger than it should have been, and the bulkhead to the next compartment down the beam of the ship was warped and distorted, the hatch completely unreachable.  Fires and scorch marks decorate every available surface, and some that didn't even exist before the explosion.  He immediately scans for anyone else of his section that may have been hurt.  Aside from himself, there had been three people in the torpedo compartment; Sous-Lieutenant Chastain, the Aviateur that Robert knew was dead, and Opale's First Officer.

Thick, noxious smoke billows from the flames, filling the compartment at an alarming rate despite the huge hole in the hull of the ship.  The deck tilts dangerously under his feet; the torpedo detonation must have destabilized one of the trim tanks on Opale's starboard side, making keeping his balance that much more difficult, and causing the lighter than air smoke to fill up in the gaping wound before spilling into the night air.  His body is suddenly wracked with painful coughing.  He'd have to search for the missing officers quickly before the smoke forced him to abort.

First thing's first, he thinks grimly, reaching up to unhook his safety line to allow him to move freely.  Predictably, the latching mechanism is ruined.  He grimaces, not thinking twice before flipping out a small blade and cutting the rope tethering him to Opale.  One misstep would send him hurtling out of the ship and into the sea below.  He brushes the thought aside, knowing without a doubt that his priorities must be to save the lives of his compatriots first, and think of his own second.  Only a cowardly British pig would hold his own life above those of his crewmates!

The floor was certainly treacherous, strewn with crumpled and twisted metal, sticking out of bulkheads, the ceiling, and the floor at random intervals.  Sharp daggers launched from the torpedo's detonation stand embedded in solid steel centimeters deep, a testament to the power of the aerial bomb.

Aldric pulls himself around a curtain of flame and smoke and finally spots Sous-Lieutenant Chastain.  A gasp rises unbidden to his lips as he sees the officer's condition, a wicked sliver of metal protruding from his shoulder, pinning him right to the bulkhead.  The floor pitches underneath him as the helm compensates for the damaged trim tank, slamming him into the nearest wall, and landing him directly on his injured arm.  He cries out in pain as he feels something shift unpleasantly in his forearm.  He claws through a red haze of pain, dedicated to reaching the Sous-Lieutenant and getting him to safety.

Fighting through the kind of pain attendant with a broken arm is easier thought than done, but somehow Aldric manages.  He reaches the gunnery officer, and then has to contend with actually releasing him from the wall without exacerbating the wound in his shoulder.  That would hardly be a cake walk under the best of circumstances, and with the use of only one arm, no safety gear, and a time limit strictly enforced by the growing cloud of noxious black smoke the difficulty is incalculable.

When retelling the tale in a tavern or any other easily impressed audience, Aldric embellishes, as any story teller is wont to do.  In his case, he mightily rips out the offending shard of metal with his bare hands, hauls the Sous-Lieutenant over his shoulder, and staggers back to safety, hacking and coughing his very lungs onto the floor before collapsing into the arms of the damage control team as they arrive.  He boldly refuses treatment for his arm, instead choosing to wait until the fate of everyone in the compartment is confirmed before retiring from his post and only then seeking assistance in the infirmary.

The truth is, he doesn't remember.  He remembers stumbling on a piece of warped torpedo hull and slamming into the bulkhead again, and a blinding pain in his arm, and that's the last thing.  The next thing he knew, he woke in the infirmary, arm wrapped tightly in a pristine white cast, his hands cut and scarred across the palms, and a terribly sore lump on his forehead, Sous-Lieutenant Chastain occupying the bed next to him with his arm in a sling and a bandage around his forehead.  He recalls nothing about what he did, how he did it, or what feats of personal strength he accomplished.  He only remembers waking up in the infirmary the next day, in the bed next to the gunnery officer with a thick cast on his arm and a splitting headache.

Three days later, quartier-maître de 1ère classe Aldric Robert stood in the courtyard of a Paris hospital.  In just a few more days, he would be discharged, if not quite back to duty on Opale.  He still didn't know exactly what he'd managed in the thick, smoke-choked compartment, but it had been enough.  The next day he'd awoken in Opale's infirmary the next bed over from Sous-Lieutenant Chastain, and he knew instantly that he'd succeeded.

Now he gazed in the direction of the sunset, closing his eyes and inhaling deeply, banishing the thought of that acrid smoke from his mind.  He'd succeeded, and though the torpedo might have failed, he had not.  His country had not, and that was the most important.

Every Frenchman with half a mind knew that conflict with Britain was inevitable.  Hundreds of years of conflict and war proved that time and again.  It was only a matter of time.  When it happened, he, along with so many other thousands of loyal French patriots would show those British pigs just what a hundred years of progress could do, compared to a hundred years stagnating on top.

He turns back to the hospital with a smile, making his way inside.  That particular torpedo had failed.  Others would not.  He would see the torpedo bay of another gany in due time.  There would be more torpedoes, and he would be just as ready then.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:48:30 am by Scotty »

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not bad, not bad at all. Even though I didn't follow the link until after I read it, it was still not too hard to understand :). One thing though, you keep changing from past to present tense throughout. For example, the second paragraph starts in the past tense, but switches to the present tense for the last sentence.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yeah, that's been a problem with me lately. #P

I went through and fixed most of it in the first half, but I'm way too tired to get through it all tonight.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Scotty's Writing Thread - updated 06/30/14 - Lies
So, I wrote this last night after my brain wouldn't let me sleep.  Folks on #bp at o-dark-thirty got to read it, but I thought I'd post it here now that I'm conscious again and off work.

The Biggest Liar

Richard Baxter never lied.

Mr. Baxter never liked politics. For a man who never lied, the byzantine deals and compromise that defined modern government left a bad taste in his mouth. Why would an honest person want to be a politician? He could never think of a good reason.

Mr. Baxter's neighbors respected him. He maintained his property, respected his husband, and treated his children properly. “Richard's an alright sort,” they said of him, “He always does the right thing.” Richard liked being respectable. It came naturally to him. Mr. Baxter liked his neighborhood. The streets were clean. His children could play with the other boys and girls safely. People were friendly. The mayor kept a good handle on things. Mr. Baxter enjoyed life.

Eventually the mayor died, or resigned, or retired. A new one got elected. A couple years passed, and the streets aren't as clean anymore. People weren't as friendly any more. The neighborhood didn't feel as safe anymore. His friends pleaded with him. “Richard, run for office. You'd be much better than this.” He didn't listen. Mr. Baxter never liked politics. No one opposed the new mayor.

More years went by. His children didn't like to play outside anymore; they didn't feel safe. The streets were dirty. Vacant lots dotted the neighborhood, grass growing out of control. “Richard, please,” the neighborhood begged, “We can't keep living like this.” He wanted so badly to not listen, but he couldn't lie to himself. They were right.

Mr. Baxter ran for office. His neighborhood voted for him. The next neighborhood over, too, and the one past that. Enough people voted for him that he won, to his surprise. To his even greater surprise, Mr. Baxter didn't hate politics as much as he thought he did. Running a town was easy. He didn't have to lie or scheme or compromise to do what had to be done.

Soon the streets were clean again. People felt safe outside their own homes. Businesses opened up, schools thrived. Mr. Baxter's plans worked. The town came back to life. People respected him even more than before. “Mr. Baxter's an alright mayor,” they said of him, full of pride, “he always does the right thing.” Richard liked being respectable. It came naturally to him. Richard liked his town.

Years went by. Mr. Baxter's town flourished, even while their neighbors wilted and withered. The rest of the county suffered despite his town's success. The state's legislature was deadlocked on several key issues. Their neighbors pleaded with him. “Mayor Baxter, run for office. You'd be much better than this.” He wanted so badly to not listen, to stay with his town, but he couldn't lie to himself. He knew he could do better.

Mr. Baxter ran for office. His town voted for him. The next town over, too, and the one past that. Enough people voted for him that he won. He wasn't surprised. State legislature was different, though. Here he was just one neighbor in a very important neighborhood. Here he had to make deals in order to accomplish anything. Sometimes those deals involved things the people in his town wouldn't like. He made them anyway, because he couldn't lie to himself. He knew it was for the best, but his people couldn't know about it.

Years went by. Mr. Baxter's peers respected him. He maintained his county and treated his people properly. He didn't have as much time for his husband anymore. His children graduated and moved out. He never talked to his neighbors anymore. But it was all for the best. He was making life better for everyone.

Eventually the governor died, or resigned, or retired. Mr. Baxter saw an opportunity to do even more. He ran for office, but the campaign was expensive. Several companies offered to help him out, in exchange for favors later. Mr. Baxter accepted their help, because he couldn't lie to himself. He knew it was for the best, but his people couldn't know about it.

The people in his county voted for him. The people in the next county over, too, and the one after that. Enough people voted for him that he won. He would have been surprised if the result was closer.

Governor Baxter liked being governor. He could help all the people in his state. Not everyone agreed with him. He just ignored them. What did they know, anyway? He was the one in office, not them. He helped out the companies that helped him win. Sometimes, things worked out and the towns they picked flourished. Others, the streets ended up less clean. Children didn't like to play outside anymore. Vacant lots sprouted tall grass. Governor Baxter didn't really pay attention to those places. He couldn't lie to himself. He knew that it was for the best, but his people wouldn't understand.

Years passed. One of his state's senators died, or resigned, or retired. Governor Baxter saw an opportunity to do even more. This campaign was even more expensive than the last. More companies offered to help him out, in exchange for favors later. Mr. Baxter accepted their help, because he couldn't lie to himself. He knew it was in his best interests. His people couldn't know about it.

The people in his district voted for him. He was willing to bet that the people in the next district over would have, too, and even the next state over. He would have been surprised if they hadn't.

Senator Baxter liked being a senator. It was a new neighborhood, but he knew what to do by now. Not everyone agreed with him, but this time he manipulated them. If they wouldn't agree with him, he found something they didn't want their people to know, and make them agree with him. His popularity soared. He couldn't lie to himself. He knew it was for the best, but the country wouldn't understand. His political power grew. He was in charge. People listened to him.

His husband didn't. His children didn't. They wanted their husband and father back. He just ignored them. What did they know, anyway? He was the one in office, not them.

Senator Baxter helped out the companies that helped him win. Sometimes, things worked out and the counties they picked flourished. Others, the streets ended up less clean. Children didn't like to play outside anymore. Vacant lots sprouted tall grass. Senator Baxter didn't really pay attention to those places. He couldn't lie to himself. He knew that it was for the best, and that the people didn't understand.

Senator Baxter wasn't satisfied with just being a senator. He decided to run for the last office. This time he sought out the companies. He needed their money for the campaign. He made promises. He made backroom deals with rivals and enemies. When those didn't work, he blackmailed. He extorted. In all his years' experience he had mastered politics.

The people in his state voted for him. The people in the next state over did, too, and the people in the one after that. Enough people voted for him that he won. In private, he spat at the people that didn't.

President-Elect Baxter put his hand on a book. He raised his right hand.

Richard Baxter never told the truth. Not even to himself.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That was quite good (I think it would be even better if the last line were another repetition, not an explicit inversion; this lets the story speak for itself)

Offline Lorric

Re: Scotty's Writing Thread - updated 06/30/14 - Lies
Whoa, I might have to read through this thread some time. I enjoyed reading that.

I should probably check this board out in general, I've paid very little attention to it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:04:30 pm by Lorric »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
That was quite good (I think it would be even better if the last line were another repetition, not an explicit inversion; this lets the story speak for itself)

If it were another repetition, would there be any point to keeping the second sentence, or does its presence mar the bookends?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think you should keep it, it doesn't mar the bookend.