Author Topic: What Freespace are you (Re)Playing Now?  (Read 76516 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: What Freespace are you (Re)Playing Now?
Do they have full VO with black command guy, etc?

I don't believe Corvette Rescue does, or if it doesn't it doesn't work for me, but the rest have full briefings and debriefings. There's no in-game banter I think, but it's not really needed considering they're simple seek and destroy missions. The only thing to keep in mind is that these missions aren't flown by Alpha-1, but other anonymous pilots. They could be easily presented as optional "loop" missions such as SOC with a brief, "meanwhile in another part of the war."

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well, they could simple be an own campaign. As the Demo missions are already one.

In Freespace Port you have also three campaigns were you are playing different Alpha 1's, so i do not think it is a big problem.

For FSPort i was already thinking for my Upgrade/Translation to connect some of the single and converted coop missions into an own campaign, because some of the also have Command Briefs with Date information you can use to create a chronology campaign that happens next to the actual The Great War one. But i actually scrapped that so far, even it would be possible to create some kind of story with some changed messages and briefings only :D

And well, most of the Single missions are not very good by today standards either. So that would be only a campaign with a putted together story and mediocre missions at best  :D

But because i have to do all the same stuff with all the multi missions and SOTY Missions in FS2 again for my translation project, i am actually curious about how many of the ~200 official MP FS2 missions can be properly used for a single player mission :). Maybe that can be used into an own campaign that would be much better.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:36:39 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't believe Corvette Rescue does, or if it doesn't it doesn't work for me, but the rest have full briefings and debriefings. There's no in-game banter I think, but it's not really needed considering they're simple seek and destroy missions. The only thing to keep in mind is that these missions aren't flown by Alpha-1, but other anonymous pilots. They could be easily presented as optional "loop" missions such as SOC with a brief, "meanwhile in another part of the war."

Hmm I think (unfortunately) that if there's no in-game chatter it would be tough to integrate them into FS Blue.

Warzone

Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Offline -Norbert-

I just finished the FS1 campaign (FSPort) and am now playing Sol: A History.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Rain on Ribos 4, Hellgate: Ikeya & The Light of Antares to fetch some screenshots that will make good loading screens, video titlecards ... and to finish the new LoA and RoR credits/outros
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I recently did a replay of FS2's main campaign, in the form of Freespace Blue. After all these years, it still holds up narratively, and of course visually it's better than ever.

After that, I dove into BP for the first time. Wrapped up AoA and WiH Acts 1 & 2 (just about), and I'm moving on to Act 3 now. It's been quite the ride so far. Top-notch writing, mission design, the works. In other words, I'm loving it. Once I finish I'm planning on playing FS1 and Diaspora.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
My recently played trio: Exile: Into the Dark Waters, Sol: A History (Upgraded!), and Mantle. What can I say about them, Exile and S:AH are huge in terms of assets - after all, they both needed whole new fleet packs, and are quite long and really satisfactory to play. On the other hand, Mantle, while based off of Blue Planet, has got that great Homesick vibe to it.
I strongly suggest playing every one of these three. I can guarantee you will have a fun ride with them.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
TBH I feel Ridiculous these days, like a chef with no appetite - I haven't actually sat down and enjoyed an FS campaign since Sync and Windmills almost a year back. Just endless modding.  :nod:

I think that happens quite often. For example many project heads on HLP next to never write feedback to campaigns other than their own, or comment on dev threads. I'd presume that the reason is simply that modding is time intensive and if you have a job/family you rather put the effort into your own project. But even though I have enough time I prefer working on something than playing other things somehow as I consider myself a rather bad pilot...

I'd presume that the reason is simply that modding is time intensive and if you have a job/family you rather put the effort into your own project.
That's pretty much how my relation with Freespace had been for the longest time. For the first couple of years, I was almost exclusively a player, crunching campaign after campaign, only FREDding a handful of missions here & there. Then 3.6.12 came around, broke some of my missions, prompting me to shift my modding habit into higher gear. I spent the next 3-4 years splitting my time rather evenly between modding & playing, until my Master's final 2 years. As my free(space) time became more & more precious, I tended to favor modding over playing, and only stopped everything after the whole "you need to play to have an opinion" thing back in early 2017.

I only eased beack into the game in late november - exclusively as a player this time, going through FS2 with surprising ease. Right now I'm re-playing through JAD 2.21 - JAD 2.22 (I don't think I every finished 2.22), then it'll either be BtA or WCS Open.

Still, the call of modding is still strong, I always get tons of ideas while doing random stuff, and some of them might even be practical :D. But for now, I shall apply Willpower™ and stick to playing !

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
I just hope people will forgive me for not always playing their campaigns is all.  :)  I have a ton of respect for the BTA team and their amazing production quality, I just got stuck and never finished their big release. Feel like I've done them a disservice, somehow. :doubt:

Really please I love Mefistofele, I just didn't want to get into a long campaign now...  :(  Also I'm a low-skill dogfighter, I just want to shoot through teh story for teh STORYs sake.  :lol:

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Debug windows.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Currently playing through the GOG version of FS1, just to see what it's like.  I was definitely spoiled on my previous playthroughs of the DVD version, as it has much higher resolution textures for all of the ships.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Currently playing through the GOG version of FS1, just to see what it's like.  I was definitely spoiled on my previous playthroughs of the DVD version, as it has much higher resolution textures for all of the ships.

There's a DVD version? When did that happen? I've only ever seen the CD release.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
They were OEM discs included if you bought a computer with a DVD player.  That is, in fact, how I originally found out about FreeSpace.

Here are some screenshots, and here is an old thread on the subject.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
"Warning! 8MB download!" :D

was it because of dl size or the look of fs1 content

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
"Warning! 8MB download!" :D

I also find it hilarious that in 2019 MS Outlook still thinks 8 MB is "huge".
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.