Author Topic: Where to start  (Read 1406 times)

Considering Freespace is right up my alley, I have surprisingly never ventured into the Freespace universe...then I stumbled upon this community with all these great options.  I think I have everything installed right, but I am a little torn on which campaign to start with.

I have the media VPs for both Freespace games and the Silent Threat: Reborn, so everything is the most recent version.  Should I start in chronological order with the Freespace Port and expansions before delving into Freespace 2?  If Freespace 2's quality is a lot better, I think I would want to start there to avoid getting burnt out before developing a true appreciation for these games.  O the other hand, I really don't know much about the story...Would I be spoiling the first game by playing freespace 2 before it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Also appreciate the tremendous amount of work that has gone into this, including the initimidating amount of stand alone mods.

Thank you

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam

Exits are to your right and left, and flamethrowers are under your seat. Be careful, though, as they are sometimes filled with water. If this is the case, try to club someone with the non-working shotguns in the weapon closet. Also, be careful while wandering the ventilation shafts. If you see a large, six-legged creature that looks really pissed, give him your lunch and he'll hopefully go away. In the event of an emergency, you can and will be used as a flotation device.  The Plasma rifles in the forward locker are released only under authorization of an Admin, [V] God, and/or hyperintelligent shade of the color blue. Current topside temperature is 400K.

As for your questions, I do suggest diving into FSPort and its expansions, so everything makes more sense in FS2. The games aren't *too* dissimilar from eachother.
I suggest: FSPort => ST:R => (Optional) Operation Templar => Freespace 2
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes I would get through the canon stuff first because arguably in at least some meta way all our fan campaigns rely on knowing canon.

Just so it's clear. ST:R is a fan remake of the original FS1 expansion Silent Threat. Silent Threat is not good. Play it if you want, but it can be skipped. Most of the community takes ST:R as a sort of fanon-canon. It's far superior but follows the same story.

After FS2, the [modding] world is your oyster. There's a lot of stuff to play of varying quality. I recommend starting in this thread to help choose what to play after the canon stuff.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Exits are to your right and left, and flamethrowers are under your seat. Be careful, though, as they are sometimes filled with water. If this is the case, try to club someone with the non-working shotguns in the weapon closet. Also, be careful while wandering the ventilation shafts. If you see a large, six-legged creature that looks really pissed, give him your lunch and he'll hopefully go away. In the event of an emergency, you can and will be used as a flotation device.  The Plasma rifles in the forward locker are released only under authorization of an Admin, [V] God, and/or hyperintelligent shade of the color blue. Current topside temperature is 400K.

As for your questions, I do suggest diving into FSPort and its expansions, so everything makes more sense in FS2. The games aren't *too* dissimilar from eachother.
I suggest: FSPort => ST:R => (Optional) Operation Templar => Freespace 2

One word of warning: 400 Kelvin is about 260°F, so please dress accordingly.

But yes, FSPort => ST:R => (Optional) Operation Templar => Freespace 2 is the general consensus amongst us HLP members.

I second mjn.maxael's reccomendation to play Silent Threat: Reborn, rather than the original Silent Threat. Reborn has better and more missions and the story makes more sense than the original.

I reccommend playing Freespace Blue (which is a modified version of FS2 from the Blue Planet mod) instead of the MediaVPs version of FS2 because I'm told it's better balanced overall and because there's a certain mission where you get a better bomber to fly against a particularly memorable opponent than in the original version. The only downside to Freespace Blue is that there's a bug/feature where your player score does not let you get awarded new ranks so you stay an ensign the entire campaign. But if that doesn't bother you, the advantages far outweighs the disadvantages.

As for what to play after FS2, like mjn.maxael said, there's lots to choose from. A couple of my personal favorites (though I haven't finished them yet) are Derelict and Exile. Real Life (TM) has kept me away from the last few missions of Derelict, but it's a very good campaign that has stood well against the test of time. As for Exile, I'm currently editing the dialogue; while it's a great campaign, the dialogue and text need polishing and the project leader was nice enough to let me volunteer to edit it (although the work has been slow on my part). If you want to play its current version, feel free, but just be aware that a new version of Exile should (Flying Spaghetti Monster willing) be ready in several months. And there are a number of fan conversion campaigns that are totally outside the Freespace universe as well for your perusal. The sky is (no longer) the limit here. :D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 04:43:29 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Thanks for all the quick replies.  Sounds like a good order to me.

Is there any reason the default difficulty is 'easy'?  Is that what is recommended for a reasonable challenge?

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Thanks for all the quick replies.  Sounds like a good order to me.

Is there any reason the default difficulty is 'easy'?  Is that what is recommended for a reasonable challenge?

I think answers to that question are here.

Me, I've only played on Easy and Normal difficulty, so I'm not the best person to answer what is a "reasonable" challenge, but IMHO, if you're just starting Freespace for the first time, I'd go with Easy diff first. You can always bump the difficulty up when you replay the games. :D :cool: :nod: ;7
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I would recommend playing FS-Port and FS2 first, (and potentially Templar in between), and THEN playing ST-R, since some elements of it are created with the hindsight of FS2's events.  It's like watching the Star Wars prequel trilogy before watching the classic trilogy.  The former is created with the assumption that the viewer has seen the classic trilogy first.

As for Silent Threat classic, I could suggest it if you want to understand just how much better ST-R is.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I am loving freespace 1, but I just realized that their used to be voices.  I see that the voice acting isn't included in the freespace port, but there seems to be a lot of different solutions to this (and most look outdated from my searches).  Is there an easy way to install the voices for missions and briefings?  Sorry, I'm sure this question has been answered a bunch, but I can't find a clear answer right now.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Um... the Port DOES have voice files.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Yeah, that is a bug, make sure all your files are installed correctly.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

The FSPort MediaVPs for Descent Freespace Port has voices?  I saw a lot of posts about how it was not included.

I verified file integrity of both and everything came up good.  Should I debug?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
How are you installing the mods?  Try using Knossos if you haven't.  (See the top navbar.)

Manual installation of the FSPort doesn't include some components, and anyway Knossos is a lot less labor-intensive.

If you've verified file integrity then you're already running Knossos.  Did you select all the optional packages?  Voice is optional, but recommended.

Ya, this was my bad.  Once I saw that cutscenes were not playing I realized I probably forgot to install optional packages.  I did for all the other ones, but I think this must have been my first attempt at installing.  Sorry about that. 

Installed all optional packages.  Have cutscenes and the briefings are a lot more entertaining.