Author Topic: complex FRED question  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Hi - just wanted ask if their is a way in FRED to set an 'Attacked-by-ship' event? the reason is im making a mission where Alpha 1 has to choose between attacking 1 group of GTVA ships or the other. Thing is, for it to work, Alpha 1 will have to attack and destroy that ship belonging to whichever side is chosen......but a different set of events will take place depending on which ship he chooses to attack.....

I found a way to do this indirectly via the Missile Lock sexp, but the problem is that my ship, at that point of time, has no secondary weapons, or the aspect seeking weapons for that matter.

If there is another way to get the above event to come true or do we have a SexP already and i'm blind?
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Try checking Protect ship in the ships properties. Then you'll know if it was destroyed, it was Alpha 1 that did it. If this is unacceptable, you may have to play around with stuff like ship facing and the like.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Try checking Protect ship in the ships properties. Then you'll know if it was destroyed, it was Alpha 1 that did it. If this is unacceptable, you may have to play around with stuff like ship facing and the like.

hmmm...interesting.....may be able to get it to work.....ill try ;)

btw if this can be programmed insomehow, it would be a lot more helpfull :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I asked for a player-damage-caused SEXP in the SCP thread when I had a similar problem but never got one. I guess it was too hard.

BTW are you doing anything MG releated at the moment? You've been kinda quiet on the internal.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by karajorma
I asked for a player-damage-caused SEXP in the SCP thread when I had a similar problem but never got one. I guess it was too hard.

BTW are you doing anything MG releated at the moment? You've been kinda quiet on the internal.

lack of anything except on-screen keyboard & p2 that cant play fs2 prevents one from doing much....
managed to do a lot of FREDding for one star trek mission(most complex one i have attempted so far) at uncles place yesterday, but 'll be moving back toMG after that - need to play a mod that doesnt lag my uncle's system to hell and back ;)

Offline magatsu1

How about using the "button pressed" SEXP. Kinda like having the player make a decision on the fly, rather than having to actually take the time to kill a ship.
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That's how this sort of thing is sometimes handled but it's a little unrealistic. Plus what happens if the player doesn't notice the message in the heat of battle?

Offline magatsu1

I was thinking directive text aswell. Maybe friendly fighters could use the event to decide also. Maybe.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I rarely notice directives until there is a lull in the fighting :) I'm probably not alone :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Ask again.  Sometimes we forget.  Especially during a code freeze. ;)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I would also find this useful in one mission where you are not supposed to attack civilian targets. There are ways around it though; the way I have it right now is that the required ships are protect ships and the game then checks if any of their strengths fall below certain levels.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by CP5670
I would also find this useful in one mission where you are not supposed to attack civilian targets. There are ways around it though; the way I have it right now is that the required ships are protect ships and the game then checks if any of their strengths fall below certain levels.

Yeah. That's what I did but the problem is that there is always the worrying chance of getting false positives.

The damage caused SEXP would be very useful. I'll bump it as soon as the code freeze is over. Although I did suggest it long before the freeze begun :)

Offline magatsu1

false positives.

what's that then ?

:confused:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah. That's what I did but the problem is that there is always the worrying chance of getting false positives.

I had that problem at one point as well due to the unerring accuracy of the enemy AI fighters (they kept accidentally hitting the ships :D) It seems to be okay if the protected ships are some distance away from the main fighting though.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by magatsu1

what's that then ?

:confused:

CP gave one example. If you fix it so that any damage to the ship is assumed to be because of the player it will probably work most of the time. But once in a while a few ships will accidently hit that ship or a piece of debris will damage it.

The problem is that the player then is assumed to have done something he didn't actually do. If it only happens once the player will probably assume it's a bug or something he did wrong but if it happens a second time you get a very angry player.