Author Topic: Sol: A History - help me.  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Sol: A History - help me.
I'm getting quite frustrated, if not saying bewildered.

The mission where you are supposed to disarm the UNU fleet (destroy the Tempest and the cruisers), is at the very moment impossible to me.

First I go for the Tempest's engines and it slows down. Command congratulates me. At the same time I'm under furious attack by Hercs, so I order a wingman of mine to assist me, rest of the squad attack fighters and Beta wing to attack and destroy the cruisers.

Lindos get's it beam cannons operational, fires a salvo - and Tempest bugs out. Mission failed. ****.
Okay, I try again. This time I run straight for the Tempest and manage to disable it totally. However, because the subsystem integrity of an Orion is quite large, this forces me to use both wings, since I cannot get my hands on Peregrines or Stilettos. No one attacks the cruisers, so they get away. OK, seconday goal failed. Tempest is destroyed, excellent. Mission is declared a sound success and I warp out.

At the debriefing they announce mission succesful and tell me that I should've taken out a few more cruisers. Ok, how.. I laugh and press the proceed button.

"THIS MISSION IS FAILED". GIklagjkdlgjgak!!!!

I try it again and again and again. No matter what I do, either one of the cruisers or the Tempest run away and I cannot proceed. After that Tempest starts to pump EMPs on me. Right. I die five times in a row, and being really goddamn angry at this moment, I choose to advance to next mission.

Which takes me back into this mission. Jeesus christ almight. :mad:

Blaise, help me. Everything I do brings me closer to the hedge and I'm about to rake. :hopping:
lol wtf

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
Re: Sol: A History - help me.
Okay, I try again. This time I run straight for the Tempest and manage to disable it totally. However, because the subsystem integrity of an Orion is quite large, this forces me to use both wings, since I cannot get my hands on Peregrines or Stilettos. No one attacks the cruisers, so they get away. OK, seconday goal failed. Tempest is destroyed, excellent. Mission is declared a sound success and I warp out.

At the debriefing they announce mission succesful and tell me that I should've taken out a few more cruisers. Ok, how.. I laugh and press the proceed button.

"THIS MISSION IS FAILED". GIklagjkdlgjgak!!!!

That SHOULD NOT have happened. Damnable bugs... the event the campaign tree looks for to be true is AllDeadOrDeparted, which fires when the Tempest has been destroyed, and when the Lightning, Thunder, Cloud and Monsoon, the USD Constant and Cancer wing have been destroyed or departed, either one. The Lindos sends a message, and Command then does the same. Meanwhile, the DirRTBWin event should become active (chained) and you'll get the directive to jump out.

Anyway, AllDeadOrDeparted being true (and TempestEscapes being false, which it has to be for AllDeadOrDeparted to be true) should get you through to the next mission.

I'm sorry that it's totally messed up for you... suffice to say, when I redo this, it won't be so soul-destroyingly difficult.

I'm not sure how to fix the mission to solve this, because I don't know what's causing all the problems. Try it in retail FS or FSOpen, whichever one you're not currently using, it might be that or something... Can't rebalance, due to a large number of... mods... currently in effect on my Freespace... Patching the campaign file to let you through automatically will mean you'll have to start over from the beginning of Campaign 4, so you may not want to do that when there's a simpler solution at hand... remove EACampaign4 from your missions folder. You can then access the remaining missions from the Single Mission folder. You're on EAC4-A7 - I suggest you skip it and move onto EAC4-A8, A9, B1, B2 and FIN.

Really, I don't know what's going on. You should be able to carry on, regardless of secondary objectives... you should be able to carry on at the very least with 'skip mission'... at any rate, when I post here again asking for problems with SAH so I can redo it, pop up and say hi.

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
OK, thanks for the tip. I am currently using FS_open (1_20_2004 build, because the latest was so buggy..), so guess I'll try it in retail. Let's see what I can do. If I figure out some kind of solution (which is impropable, because my insane FRED sk1llz are nonexistant), I'll let you know.

BTW, I have enjoyed S:AH a lot, even moreso than of Homesick. Thanks!
lol wtf