Author Topic: Freespace 2 Multiplayer  (Read 2372 times)

Offline AlGore

• http://www.thekog.com
Freespace 2 Multiplayer
Yeah, I'm new here, so please excuse my jackassery if this has already been asked or done.

Anyhoo, I'm converting all of the single player missions from the main campaign into cooperative missions for multiplayer. As to keep it simple, I was just putting Alpha wing as the player ships, so it would always accomodate 4 people.

Is 4 a good number for Coop, or should I add more?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I believe that this has already been done but I don't know where you can get it from.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AlGore

• http://www.thekog.com
Yeah, I saw that some guy did that on the mission archives, but the download didn't work right.

yes the download link was broken

and 4 craft should be enough, its rare more than that are on PXO at once anyway

I have already converted the FS2 single-player campaign for four platers.  It can be found through here .

Click on the CooPFreeSpace2.zip file.  That should do it.

Please note that extensive testing has not been completed on them, so kindly report any problems you may find.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 12:57:24 am by 1077 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I don't know if you've already done this Kv but if you open a FS2 mission in notepad and change the game type flags settings to

+Game Type Flags: 11

You can play a coop mission on single player too. Some of the people who find Insane too easy might appreciate that if you've rebalanced the  missions any. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Hey, didn't know that!  I'll have to start setting those flags to 11 then, instead of 10. :nod:  It'll make testing quite a bit easier indeed...

I must admit that I haven't done much to improve the difficulty, especially since testing with one player hardly gives meaningful results in this case.  (And I haven't been able to draft many people into playing the missions...) But if anyone sends in their suggestions, I will gladly implement them as quickly as possible!

Offline Cetanu

• http://165thbdhr.com/
Well, just from my POV as creator of multiplayer missions: the original [V] campaign is to easy if played by more then one. Raising AI quality and fighter/bomber waves helps a bit, but you will still notice it was never made with more then one player in mind. Multiplayer has different rules too - timing, distances, number of enemies - to have a fun and playable mission.

Another problem with a FS2 multiplayer campaign - missions get automatically loaded one by one - it needs hours to play and unlike FS1 no one can join between missions! If you want to play it on PXO or a bigger LAN that's pretty annoying, new players can't join and someone dropping out of a mission can't rejoin, etc. So I would suggest NOT to use a single campaign file for any conversion, better make one for every 3 or so.

If you want example conversions of the later Capella missions and/or are interested in true coop missions designed for 2-8 players - visit the BDHR link in my sig and download all the [V] valid and invalid missionpacks.
Work is the curse of the drinking class
Keeper of BDHR's Holy Grail of Beer

Valid PXO/F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Additional valid F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Voicefiles for these missions - mirrors: 1,2

Indeed, there is much truth in what you say.  My conversion was actually a modification of somebody elses conversion (I fixed a bunch of bugs, particularly in the loop missions.)

The idea of breaking up the campaign into small batches is an excellent idea, but that would require a just a little bit more work on my part, and right now I have not the time to make the necessary changes.

I have played your conversions, Centanu, and they are excellent.  Needless to say, although I can see how the main FS2 campaign missions could be so modified to provide some real challenges, again I have not the time.  Oh well, one mission at a time...