Author Topic: 3.6.8 Naming scheme  (Read 3368 times)

forgive my newness to the system but wich one is newer 3.6.8 Beta or 3.6.8 gamma?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm assuming that it's Gamma, since gamma comes after beta in the Greek alphabet. :p

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
There were already a delta set released, so we appear to be diverging from Greek lexographic ordering.  They are just Gamma because it sounds cool, I guess.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
There were already a delta set released, so we appear to be diverging from Greek lexographic ordering.  They are just Gamma because it sounds cool, I guess.
Wait...so Gamma is newer than Delta? Whose idea was that? :p

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I was trying to go in the order that fs2_open wings go in...

Methinks a letter change may be in order.
-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta.  Always has been that way ;)

Gamma is, after all, analogous to the Latin 'C'.  At least you'd have gotten the next one right.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Forgotten the alphabet, WMCoolmon has. How embarassing, how embarassing...
-C

well I know that Gama comes after beta in the greek alphabet. its just that ive known programs where they go in the opposite direction in the development, inwich case beta would be the closest to the release and some thing like gama would be like a first test of a pice of software

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta.  Always has been that way ;)

Gamma is, after all, analogous to the Latin 'C'.  At least you'd have gotten the next one right.
Actually, to be technical, Gamma is transliterated to the Latin "G."  There is no Greek equivalent for "C;" the hard sound is covered by Kappa, and the soft sound falls under Sigma.  See, that quarter of Greek during my Latin class in high school really did turn out to be useful! :p

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
well I know that Gama comes after beta in the greek alphabet. its just that ive known programs where they go in the opposite direction in the development, inwich case beta would be the closest to the release and some thing like gama would be like a first test of a pice of software

hi,
like backslash has say, frist is alpha, then beta in software development.

but befor alpha came often use the software engineer pre-alpha.
thats a very early version of the software, there are not all componets included and the programm is very unstable.
in the alpha is the most part of the final software included but not all.

first in the beta all included and the final bugfixing begin.

but today the programmer use instead the normal closed beta prozess the Release Canidate or Community Preview.
both are not the same like the traditional closed beta, the community can work with the software and find errors.
so are the user more included in the software devolpoment.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

I see, btw thanks for moving this moderators i was begining to feel pretty bad that I lead evreything so off topic previously. in the future just ignore me :D