Author Topic: 2 very little problems any help welcome.  (Read 2816 times)

2 very little problems any help welcome.
I'm having 2 very little cosmetic problems:
The Hercules high poly model looks great except when I turn on "enable jpg/tga textures" to see asteroids, it seems to cancel out the "no_emissive_light" command line for it.   Doesn't effect any other ships, just the herc which looks much better all in shadow.
Is there anyway to increase the max debreis in one mission?  I find that towards the end ships stop spawning chunks of wreckage when destroyed, I figured there must be some kind of cap?
These are pretty small issues and was just wondering if there is some kind a simple fix for them?
thanks!

Offline Topgun

Re: 2 very little problems any help welcome.
Is there anyway to increase the max debreis in one mission?  I find that towards the end ships stop spawning chunks of wreckage when destroyed, I figured there must be some kind of cap?
These are pretty small issues and was just wondering if there is some kind a simple fix for them?
thanks!

no, the debris are written in the model the only way you can do that is if replace it w/ one w/ more.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Re: 2 very little problems any help welcome.
I'm having 2 very little cosmetic problems:
The Hercules high poly model looks great except when I turn on "enable jpg/tga textures" to see asteroids, it seems to cancel out the "no_emissive_light" command line for it.   Doesn't effect any other ships, just the herc which looks much better all in shadow.
I haven't looked inside mediavps but I suppose herc has a clear -glow map in jpg/tga flavour, and none in dds/pcx format which is always loaded. -glow maps are used to simulate lights over the ships (they are rendered at full intensity even if the model isn't illuminated). Maybe they're too strong for your likings but they don't disable "no_emissive_light" in any way.

(To check this, disable "enable glow maps", ie -glow flag, in launcher options. But do it just for a test run, the whole game is going lo look much uglier).

thanks!

As said by TopGun. The generated debris are a part of the model data (.pof files). They are not "generated" by the game engine. I mean, if you have built a fighter with no debris, when it explodes you won't see anything. Some recent high quality HTL models from Vasudan Admiral have the full ship turned into debries (ie. Fenris or Leviathan), but I think they're not present in Mediavps 3.6.8.zeta. (Surf this forum section to find them or, if you are just beginning to understand FS2 data structure, just enjoy the game as it is now and wait till next media vps release  ;) ).
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio