Author Topic: 2010 Newbie  (Read 3656 times)

So I finally found out about fs2open and decided to grab fs2 from gog.com and downloaded and installed fs2open + mediavps when I heard about all the upgrades you guys and gals were making to the game. It seemed too good to not replay fs2 again :D

I've played the first few fs2 stock missions and they all work so far, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to activate the lateral thrusters or the glide functionality. i've tried the shift+number combos the alt-G to toggle glide from the key binding menu and nothing happens. I was kind of hoping to zig and zag more deftly.

Am I doing something wrong? or are both lateral thrusters and glide disabled for the stock fs2 missions?

If they are, is there some way to turn it on. I didn't see any options for this in the launcher.

HALP!! you're my only hope  :lol:

P.S. Is there some way to further increase mouse sensitivity?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Default freespace fighters do not have a glide mode or lateral thrusters.
A few shivan fighters have glide mode though.

Those keybinds are mostly used for mods.

And unfortunately, there is no way to increase the mouse sensitivity. There are a few scripts that alter how the mouse works though, but I'm personally no fan of that.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

thanks a lot :)

I thought I was going nuts.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Beyond the Red Line (and the upcoming Diaspora) both make heavy use of glide, as does the as-yet-unreleased FringeSpace. The Babylon Project, a B5 total conversion, also uses it on a number of ships if you want to play with it.

Enjoy your stay. There are lots of great user-made campaigns to try.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
hasnt fury got a load of tbm files posted on here somewhere to add glide to the fs ships
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Default freespace fighters do not have a glide mode or lateral thrusters.
A few shivan fighters have glide mode though.

Wrong way round. Shivans have lateral thrusters not glide. There's even one mission in FS2 where you can actually use them yourself.

Glide was an SCP addition and as such can never be part of the official game or media VPs.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

hasnt fury got a load of tbm files posted on here somewhere to add glide to the fs ships

Part of the BP 3.6.12 feature pack, methinks.  Not sure how many ships it adds glide to, though.
"If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one.  Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
-J. Robert Oppenheimer, quoting the Bhagavad Gita

You sure you're not confusing this game with Descent?
Glide nor Lateral thrust, has ever really been a feature of FS or FS2 (apart from one mission where you can move 5m/s in either side ways direction as karajorma alludes to).
As for the mouse, if you want to turn better just use the keyboard, switch to the mouse for accuracy when you need it.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Go here:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=68214.msg1347074#msg1347074
Download the stuff, and put bp-3612-glide.vp in the folder marked mediavps in your FS2 directory (Veterans: will that work?).
That will enable glide in every fighter in FS2, I'm pretty sure, as long as you assign a key to it. Also as long as whatever mod you're playing has mediavps set as a secondary mod, which most do.
Lateral thurst is a whole 'nother thing, as everyone else has stated.

EDIT: Putting it in mediavps will make it impossible to play online with others who are using media vps. You could edit the mod.ini file of whichever mod you're playing to include that stuff, or you could theoretically drop the .vp files into whichever mod directory you're using. That'll probably get me yelled at for sloppiness though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:53:17 pm by Scourge of Ages »