Author Topic: Replacment for the FS2 subspace node.  (Read 6178 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Replacment for the FS2 subspace node.
Noticed we were still using that file and it needs replaced so I whipped this up:

No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

Re: Replacment for the FS2 subspace node.
This is the jumppoint, no? We had discussions about this a long time ago, with the 2D one too flat in my opinion and the 3D one too deep with the flash not at it's end, where it belongs, but in the middle. Your new one looks like it could be the perfect inbetween solution! So can we somehow see or test this inside the game?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
No it's not the jumppoint this is the jump node model.  It's normally a sphere but I thought a better indicator for TBP would be a jump vortex. 

BTW this is exactly the same relative dimensions as the current jumppoint vortex.  So if you think this one looks right and the other one doesn't you need to see an optometrist.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

BTW this is exactly the same relative dimensions as the current jumppoint vortex.  So if you think this one looks right and the other one doesn't you need to see an optometrist.

That's why I asked to see it in game, because I suspected it could be a matter of perspective. The current one looks okay from the front, like this one, but much too long from the side. This is very obvious in missions like MAGs "Shadow Dancing" where jumppoints open all around the player.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I think you're missing the difference between a jump point and a jump node.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wesp5

I think you're missing the difference between a jump point and a jump node.

Indeed I do :)! So are these the "jump here" waypoint indicators in game?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I thought that's what Jumpgates were for  :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
In fact they are. But sometimes you simply need an indicator, e.g. the Fortune Hunters 2261 mission in which you have to wait at a certain spot for a jump point to open.
Personally, I never liked the FS2 buoy way of doing things. Not colliding with something that looks solid takes me out of the game.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Jump node is meaningless in B5 context. If you want the player to do something at a certain point (like jump) you're going to use distance checking to figure out if the player is close enough. So your jump zone (for lack of a better term) is going to be spherical. So the existing jump node model is more useful. And if they're jumping out using a jump gate there's a better model. It's called a jump gate.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline wesp5

So the existing jump node model is more useful.

I would suggest that it should look at least similar to normal waypoints so new players get their meaning. BTW, I think I once physically connected with a waypoint object, is something like that even possible?

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I would suggest that it should look at least similar to normal waypoints so new players get their meaning.

Yes as long as the intended meaning is "go to this place to jump". Which makes no sense in the B5 universe as ships capable of jumping can jump anywhere. Whereas if you leave it as a generic sphere a mission designer can use it for all kinds of different things. Precisely because it *doesn't* look like a jump point. Hence it's much more useful as a generic sphere. You see when we left it as it was we actually - you know - thought it through ;-)
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline wesp5

Hence it's much more useful as a generic sphere.

I'm rather new here, so does a jump node look the same as a nav beacon?

Also I heard that there was some fallout between yourself and others here years ago and this is the reason why any TBP development has to be done within the Zathras mod. Wouldn't it be possible to make at least one final TBP 3.5 to get rid of actual known bugs like the Brakiri weapon warning that pops up with new debug builds? Or maybe all you great guys could be able to talk about including stuff like the normal maps, which you praised yourself recently, or other stuff like the model improvements that have been done lately? Or even some of the beam color fixes I suggest ;)?

Once again I can only say that TBP is the most impressive standalone game/mod I have ever encountered and regardless of who did what or when, it's a shame to see the development of it crippled that way. As far as I know the whole FS2 community thinks along these lines and with the release of Diaspora and all the recent space simulation kickstarters, now could be the right time to give TBP some final polish to make it even better :)!

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
TBP as released is Final.

Any further discussion as to why is certainly encouraged as I have no doubt that many people have questions regarding it, but that really should be its own separate topic entirely, but that is up to the potential participants as to whether or not they will participate in such a discussion.

Also, there are (or should be) plenty of archived discussions regarding TBP's current state of existence already present on this board, I encourage finding them and reading them.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys