Author Topic: Things that make you wonder what were they thinking  (Read 17343 times)

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
Re: Things that make you wonder what were they thinking
Mmm...Comes to my mind...

I would like to see
-new hud
-new menu interface
-new jump point

Add..
-lens flare on jump point
-debris on all the models

More things..
-Correct HTL Starfury's maneuverable thrusters (correct table)
-Life pod don't looks cannon
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline -Norbert-

Correct me if I'm wrongs, but isn't that the life pod of the Streib ship?
I don't remember ever seeing another life pod in the TV show or films (other than ejected fighter cockpits).

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
Correct me if I'm wrongs, but isn't that the life pod of the Streib ship?
I don't remember ever seeing another life pod in the TV show or films (other than ejected fighter cockpits).
No, this is the Earth Aliance Lifepod
The first appearance on the show was on season 4 "Between The Darkness And The Light"

MORE INFO+

Just a quick sketch meanwhile someone answered my post
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:07:29 pm by emi_100 »
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline wesp5

The Centauri use both regular and gravity drives in conjunction so I assume the ISA does the same.

Where does this info come from? Also even the Vorchan fins look better than the Excalibur ones...

Offline Slasher

I think Woolie Wool is referring to the thrusters seen on the same Centauri cruiser we see Londo standing on, presumably as a result of artificial gravity.  JMS' comments implied the Centauri and Minbari use a similar technology to both move their ships and keep the crews from floating around.

The current EA Lifepod is just a recycled EA Breaching Pod without the landing struts.  I briefly tried retexturing it to look more like the one in the show but the UV mapping as it is doesn't accommodate it.  That model in emi's post looks like a definite improvement.

Offline wesp5

I think Woolie Wool is referring to the thrusters seen on the same Centauri cruiser we see Londo standing on, presumably as a result of artificial gravity.  JMS' comments implied the Centauri and Minbari use a similar technology to both move their ships and keep the crews from floating around.

I always had the impression that while the Centauri could generate artificial gravity they didn't move their ships with this but rather by conventional means. All of their ships have nozzles but none of the Minbari have and they are not as far advanced as the Minbari are.

Offline -Norbert-

The Vorlons use a mix of gravity drives and thrusters too, though it's hard to tell wether the thrusters are just "for show" for the younger races, or actually improve speed and/or manouverbility.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Yea that's one of those things I noticed the other day.  It takes Kosh's ship 2 hours to decelerate from the jumpnode to be slow enough to dock with the station but the Vorlon fleet stops in seconds. 

On another what were they thinking note why is B5 on a direct collision course for anything that comes out of the jump gate?  Come on move the think a few hundred meters to the left or something. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

Yea that's one of those things I noticed the other day.  It takes Kosh's ship 2 hours to decelerate from the jumpnode to be slow enough to dock with the station but the Vorlon fleet stops in seconds.

The yellow openings on the back of the Vorlon ships seem to be their gravity drives, but they sure are no exhaust nozzles. And I agree with you that Kosh pulled off some show when arriving! Not only decelerating so slowly, but also opening his wings as if they were important. No other Vorlon ships shown ever did this IIRC...

On another what were they thinking note why is B5 on a direct collision course for anything that comes out of the jump gate?  Come on move the think a few hundred meters to the left or something.

Is it really? I would have guessed it's a bit to the side, but placing it almost in line makes sense for technically not advanced races to save fuel for navigating.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The hyperspace deceleration thing was cut from the re-edit that was done for the DVD release.  They also cut most of the conversation between G'kar and Leeta, as well as the "privacy" thing at the beginning of the conversation, though they did add other previously unknown scenes and updated external visuals.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
...best thing about the pilot is that it can be ignored...
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline wesp5

...best thing about the pilot is that it can be ignored...

Yeah, I see it similar! Also there weren't any Starfuries then, but some other generic fighters instead.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Those same fighters appear in the regular series as well.  They are flying all over the place around B5 in at least the first 2 episodes.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

I'll bet these are just shots recycled from the pilot then...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Been doing a lot of looking at the Nova and Omega over the last couple of weeks.  Some things really bug me about how those ships and in some cases many of the other ships are designed. 

-First fighterbays.  Who thought it was a good idea to put the only method of fighter recovery right up front where it is the first thing to get hit by enemy fire.  Also without artificial gravity how do you recover a ship while moving at any speed especially if that ship is damaged in any way.  Now the Raider Battlewagon has the right idea.  Bays in back and fly right in since fighters are faster then capital ships. 
-Weapons on the Nova and Omega.  First issue is the gun placements on the Nova.  Lets put all the guns so the ship can't fire at anything directly in front of it.  Also it's pretty much impossible to bring any decent amount of the guns to bear on a target in any direction unless that target is something tall like a Sharlin or turned something like a Vorchan on it's side.  Then there is the Omega where most of the firepower is in the rear behind the rotating section.  20 guns aft of the rotating section and like 8 in front.  Lets put our own hull in the way of the target or hope it's behind us so we can bring the rear guns to bear and not get our fighterbay blown up. 
-Missiles.  Looking at pic after pic of the Nova and Omega it really seems like these ships were designed to be missile boats.  Look closely at all those red glows on the side they are perfect missile bays and even look like they have arms holding the missile in launch position.  Now one of those ships armed with 72 (I think that's how many there are) huge warheads or even nukes and that would be devastating firepower. 

Don't get me wrong these are some of the best sci-fi ships every but the more you look at them the more you see where they could have been better. 

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
-Missiles.  Looking at pic after pic of the Nova and Omega it really seems like these ships were designed to be missile boats.  Look closely at all those red glows on the side they are perfect missile bays and even look like they have arms holding the missile in launch position.  Now one of those ships armed with 72 (I think that's how many there are) huge warheads or even nukes and that would be devastating firepower. 

I have a recollection of reading something which said exactly this, i.e. that they were designed to be able to launch heaps of missiles...
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline wesp5

I have a recollection of reading something which said exactly this, i.e. that they were designed to be able to launch heaps of missiles...

Yes, this was mentioned in one of the great interviews at http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scrolls/B5Scrolls.htm.

As for the Nova's guns, doesn't it have two beam weapons to hit anything towards the front? The Omega has them.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
It has 4 turrets facing front as does the Omega (well the Omega has 2 but each has 2 weapons).  Both ships have a blind spot as wide as the front of this ship in front of the ship.  Park a nova directly facing another nova and the only thing the front turrets could shoot is the front turrets on the other ship (without shooting through it's own hull that is).

Offline wesp5

Both ships have a blind spot as wide as the front of this ship in front of the ship.

At least the Omegas should have power beams on the front as seen on the show. Originally intended to come out of the huge rectangles below the docking bay, like on the Narn cruisers, but due to an error coming out of the two smaller guns aside the bay, which should have fired only projectiles. Both are visible in TBP and on the Nova too, are they not used?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Nope they are not set up as weapons and due to the error in the show the big guns apparently aren't canon only the side ones.  As I stated above the only way for the side one to fire directly in front of the ship is to shoot through its own hull.