Author Topic: Vree Xill fire points  (Read 4659 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I've been fixing all the fire points since most were not properly aligned with the turrets.   This was probably due to either a PCS2 and/or game bug at one time.  Anyway have just about every turret aligned to within .0005 meters now.  Of course just about the time I'm finishing up I run into the Xill.  With the exception of the anti-matter gun on the bottom I have no idea how the turrets are supposed to work.  Here is a screenshot of where they are actually firing from:

As you can see they are just floating in mid air and not attached to any objects.  This wouldn't be bad if they were beams since there are several ships (especially the Vorlon ones) that have beams that work that way.  These are pulse weapons.  So the big question is where the heck should these be firing from?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I might be mis-remembering here but the layout of that model might have something to do with the old problem that the engine doesn't do turrets on rotating subobjects and there was much more rotation originally planned for this model...

Looking at the shape of the turret subobjects I'd say they were planned to be four-barrel guns but changing them to reflect that would really alter balance...

Stupid idea: Add a huge muzzle flash to the weapon data, so no one will notice the blob appearing between the barrels of physical turret out of thin air.

Less (?) stupid idea: Pull the firepoint back into the model onto the turret subobject ... it will increase the blob flying time by a little bit so there might be a balance problem
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Have to check the video later youtube isn't being cooperative at the moment. 
Checked it and it only shows the bottom turret not the side ones which may not even be canon.

Another solution would be to just add the 4 fire points and let it alternate shots between them.  That way they could be changed to a burst fire weapon in FRED without breaking any existing balance.  As for balance on just moving a firing point that small of a change won't break any balance.  Turrets fire random enough that a small change like that won't hurt. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:19:15 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
The video is not helpful, Fury just posted the Shadow Dancing battle scene, we only see the main gun there (which will finally work as advertised in a later Zathras, at the moment it is a joke).
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline wesp5

Fury just posted the Shadow Dancing battle scene, we only see the main gun there (which will finally work as advertised in a later Zathras, at the moment it is a joke).

Why does the ship need more than the main gun? I would think ships of medium to small size like this one don't need additional guns. See e.g. the White Stars...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Because the engine doesn't handle a capital ship with only a gun on the bottom well at all. 

Offline Vidmaster

News to me. Are you referring to the aweful capship AI, I can understand that. But is there really some code issue?

FUBAR and myself talked about the issues regarding this ship and it will stay as it is for the moment. Zathras fixes. Zathras always fixes, good Zathras.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Just the capship AI.  In fact every time I ran a test mission with that ship it ended up rotating while it turned so it couldn't fire the main gun.   

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
That's why you don't use capship AI, ever. Waypoints ftw.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well part of the problem is they aren't really cap ships in the FS2 sense.  They need to behave like fighters at times and cruisers at others.   This is the whole objecttypes problem that has been waiting code review for what 5+ years now?

Offline Vidmaster

I do think we are in the 7th now...