Author Topic: [RELEASE] PVFg Cleopatra  (Read 8505 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
[RELEASE] PVFg Cleopatra
So I've gotten the diffuse map for this one done - and it's a much more straightforward beast than the Jupiter, so I should be able to get it finished without worrying about complicated animation or anything like that. Props, of course, to Axem for the model.

The Cleopatra is similar to the Jupiter in that they're both frigates, which in FL basically means "Cruiser which can carry a few fighters", but they're functionally quite different. For one, Vasudan ships use energy weapons exclusively - they're more advanced than the Terrans at this point- so the Cleopatra can operate independently for much longer than a Jupiter.

It's also armed differently. While both frigates are intended to be able to operate independently as patrol ships, they do perform that duty very differently, and their armamanets reflect that. The Cleopatra's turrets are primarily geared for self defence against fighters and area control, whereas the Jupiter is designed to be able to dive on to a larger target with its forward railguns, while its fighters cover it. The difference comes down to limitations in space and terran tech - there's so little physical space on a Jupiter that it can only hold a couple of shuttles and four specially designed, light Leto-Is, and those aren't going to be able to do much to a Vasudan capital ship; that role has to be performed by the Jupiter itself if it runs into larger trouble. By contrast, there's much more space on a Cleopatra (no missiles to carry for one, and while they're of comparable lengths, much of the Jupiter's length is either empty space or uninhabitable), and the Vasudans can equip it with larger, more powerful fighters like the PVF Inpu, or even the PVB Hesat bomber (though they're still limited in terms of numbers of fighters - the Ramses carriers still hold many more fighters than these things do). That, plus the fact that the Vasudans can send subspace equipped fighters to join the fray once combat is joined, means that in battle, the Cleopatra's job is to help its fighters, and defend itself long enough to hold ground until reinforcements arrive.

To simplify that all down, the essential difference between the two ships tactically is that the Cleopatra is designed to support its fighters, while the Jupiter is designed to be supported by its fighters.

In truth, you might not see too much of this detail in game much, but it's fun to come up with it all. :) Anyway, LoDs and debris are on their way, and as usual for Frontlines ships, as soon as it's done, it will be released.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:28:18 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
[Release] - PVFg Cleopatra

The Cleopatra is a Vasudan patrol vessel, comparable to our own Jupiter class frigate, apparently designed for long term independent operations. Although roughly the same size as the Neith cruiser, the Cleopatra is considerably smaller in terms of internal volume, and its weapons are optimised for anti fighter defences, resulting in its classification as a Class B threat.

Its small fighterbay is an anomaly among Vasudan vessels – considerably smaller than any other yet encountered. Terran intelligence believes that it could not practically hold more than four fighters at any one time, and field evidence suggests that a more typical complement is half that number, with the sparse remaining space likely reserved for small transports and shuttles.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/file/9zdsqyn1n6lyapi/Cleopatra.7z

The concept has changed a little since the earlier post - mainly the fighter complement has dropped way down, which forces the Cleopatra to be more or less self sufficient, and to a large extent it is: without proper combat scripting, it smashes its terran counterpart (though scripting the combat or fighter support changes that equation entirely).

Once again, thanks to Axem for the original model.

This is a pretty significant FL 2322 milestone - I think the Vasudan modpack is now complete. One big Terran ship to go, and a few pieces of kit here and there, then FREDding can start in earnest. I'm planning an update post soon.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: [RELEASE] PVFg Cleopatra
I successfully nagged you into finishing it - Horray! :D

Thank you for the release, I will ge right to arming it for the twenty-three-sixities...  (EDIT: which turns out to 1 SVas, 3 Standard Flak and 4 Terran Turret despite being reclassed as a vasudan version of the Hippocrates)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:13:47 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline 0rph3u5

Is there a more recent version I can get somewhere? - The download provided sadly has a few issues (e.g. table-pof mismatch of subsystems) that come out under a Debug build

ps - Image: The PVM Naunet as it appears in Vega must burn
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 03:35:56 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Why not just fix them?

(I don't have a more recent version)

Offline 0rph3u5

Why not just fix them?

(I don't have a more recent version)

Orpheus's priorities:
- fix ECM Hercs in Vega Must Burn, Mission 5c (achieved at 23:28 local time)
- complete Vega Must Burn, Mission 1
... etc ...
- eat
- sleep
- fix all related assets myself

You get what you pay for, Nightmare.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 04:29:52 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================

You get what you pay for, Nightmare.

I paid nothing, so I get nothing? ;)

All meanies that this thing has (file date 18.6.17):

-Engine01a and Engine02a are named Engine01/Engine02 in the table.
-Both docking points are named "Docking Point" in the model.
-Order of LODs is specified wrong- after LOD0 comes LOD2, LOD3 and then LOD1.
-Turrets have no check hull flags.

Looking at it again, 2 of the barrel turrets have issues with their firing points. Using check hull flags might be troublesome as the firing points of the single turrets is deep inside the turret model, probably resulting in a very small FOV.

Blister02a and Reactor02a submodels are missing subsystem properties.

Offline 0rph3u5

-Order of LODs is specified wrong- after LOD0 comes LOD2, LOD3 and then LOD1.

Do you have version of the .pof with those fixed - I just broke it trying to fix it

==================

Just remove all LoDs and specify them again. Doing that takes 20sec or so. :)