Author Topic: An apology  (Read 2190 times)

Hey, HLP,

So, you may remember me as that noob who showed up a couple months back, did some dumb noob ****, and then disappeared, dropping the ball on some other people's projects. I don't know if this has really affected anything - it looks like Scroll came out as intended - but I still feel pretty terrible about it. :/ I guess I don't expect anyone to care too much; what's done is done, and I didn't have much of a reputation to trash anyway, but... I dunno. It doesn't feel right not saying something. I overextended myself, ****ed up an essay, couldn't get some bull**** Ravana's beams to fire at the right time, almost died, and swore off using the Internet for anything nonessential until I got back to a more stable place. In retrospect, I should have said something then. I'm sorry.

I'm okay now. Please don't worry about me. Please don't say you're worried about me; that'll just make me feel guilty about apologizing. :S

I don't know if I'll stay around after this. Since we've seen that I really can't be entrusted with teamwork, I'm definitely not going to do much in the way of joining teams. Once again, Goob, mjn, I'm really sorry for all the hassle. If there's anything I can do to mitigate the damage, let me know... Otherwise, I'd appreciate it if you could remove the badges from my account.

And, well, that's that, I guess.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Wow... well, I'm sorry to hear about all you went through.  Glad to hear things are better now.

It sounds like you took the right action at the right time.  Real Life should always take priority, and restricting yourself from the Internet until you had got things sorted out seems like the right call.  Yes, Scroll ended up in a really tight spot due to your absence, but things ended up working out, and anyway when all is said and done it's just a game.

I wouldn't say you can't be trusted with teamwork.  I mean, prior to your absence, you did some spectacular work with that jump calculation script.  And as far as the absence and its aftermath, this post all by itself demonstrates you have good character.  We all make mistakes; it's part of being human.  Far more important is what you do once you realize you made a mistake.  And I think you did the right thing.

I, for one, would welcome further contributions from you, and I would be happy to have you remain on the Scroll team.  If you really and truly want me to remove your Scroll badge, I will, but I hope you stick around.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Just tell people before disappearing next time. Far as I can see, that's the only mistake you made really. At least you came back and said sorry, most people just disappear forever.

Goober said pretty much anything else I'd want to say on the matter.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Times like this, I wish the E-Hug was a thing. :D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:15:00 am by Mammothtank »

Wow... well, I'm sorry to hear about all you went through.  Glad to hear things are better now.

It sounds like you took the right action at the right time.  Real Life should always take priority, and restricting yourself from the Internet until you had got things sorted out seems like the right call.  Yes, Scroll ended up in a really tight spot due to your absence, but things ended up working out, and anyway when all is said and done it's just a game.

I wouldn't say you can't be trusted with teamwork.  I mean, prior to your absence, you did some spectacular work with that jump calculation script.  And as far as the absence and its aftermath, this post all by itself demonstrates you have good character.  We all make mistakes; it's part of being human.  Far more important is what you do once you realize you made a mistake.  And I think you did the right thing.

I, for one, would welcome further contributions from you, and I would be happy to have you remain on the Scroll team.  If you really and truly want me to remove your Scroll badge, I will, but I hope you stick around.

I... I'm not going to decide anything until finals are over. But thanks.

I didn't quite make the connection between "part 1 released" and "there's still more to do", but in fairness, I was very tired.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I think Goober nailed it and I don't really have anything to do but say that I think most of us share these thoughts and wish you good luck with your finals.

I suggest that the badge should stay. You have contributed to the project and that situation in your real life stopped you from continuing your work isn't a valid argument for removing it.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Just tell people before disappearing next time. Far as I can see, that's the only mistake you made really. At least you came back and said sorry, most people just disappear forever.

Goober said pretty much anything else I'd want to say on the matter.

Who really leaves forever? :P
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Don't worry. I also said a lot of real stupid things when I was new (and young). I still probably would if I didn't limit myself to internals.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
 Haha, weird to see this place still kicking. There's something special about this community, no doubt. 
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
To me, this all feels like looking at a mirror. Guess it's easier to vanish than to finish what you've started.

Hope you manage to reconcile with your old team. I'll do the same with mine.

Haha, weird to see this place still kicking. There's something special about this community, no doubt. 

The ride never ends.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Do hop on the HLP Discord server and say hi.  :)