Author Topic: Freespace Sins of a Blueplanet Now in Open Alpha  (Read 360 times)

Offline majorvader111

• STRAYA... Home of Tincan and string internet
    • Twitter
Freespace Sins of a Blueplanet Now in Open Alpha
Well ladies and gentlemen i would like to announce that Freespace Sins of a Blueplanet is now in Open Alpha

Some things to point out

• This is a Open Alpha so things could be broken or not working as described.
  • Things will either change or might change.
  • There will be Bugs
  • I will try to fix things at a human rated normal pace, I'm not superhuman.
  • You are more then welcome to make videos showcasing but just be sure to point out the fact that this is a Open Alpha and features might be missing and things are likely to change.

Anyway the mod can be downloaded here https://gitlab.com/MajorVader111/freespace-sins-of-a-blueplanet

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:58:25 pm by majorvader111 »
How the hell is Australia's digital economy supposed to expand when we will be stuck on Tin can and string for high speed internet and communications????????

Offline Darius

Re: Freespace Sins of a Blueplanet Now in Open Alpha
Congratulations on the release! If I remember correct there have been a few obstacles leading up to this (including a hard drive failure?) Well done for sticking through.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker
    • My old squad sub-domain
So its a blue planet mod for sins?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Post vids!

Offline Boyos

• Steam
It's nice to see this getting released, even though it's unfinished it was fun to play around with. I didn't have any issues with it other than the content that was clearly unfinished (mainly the tech trees).

I also took some screenshots of some of the GTVA and UEF ships in action. This was on medium-highish settings so it can probably look better.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
V I D S

Offline majorvader111

• Twitter
Thanks all guys for the kind words, yeah the mods been a long time coming, darius i basically lost all my psd's and freespace assets but i was lucky that the mod and all the scene files for softimage was on another drive otherwise i might have called it quits back then.

Boyos those screenshots like great, General Battuta i might get a vid out hopefully soon, the only thing limiting me is my upload  speeds of 90Kb/s so yeah. Anyway thanks for sticking with me guys.

Darius this was all possible because of you and your team, so big pat on the back for you.
How the hell is Australia's digital economy supposed to expand when we will be stuck on Tin can and string for high speed internet and communications????????

Offline Darius

I'll put up a video if I capture some neat footage!

Few urgent issues I've noticed while playing

Karuna Mk2 is scaled up from what it should be - it should be the same dimensions as Karuna
Solaris pricing - 0 mineral/common and 3000 crystal/rare instead of 3000 common
Which are the bombardment ships for the UEF?

Base gameplay is quite a lot of fun though!

EDIT: I think the various modellers and other community contributers deserve most of the accolade for making this possible. There's lots of custom ships and stations in there that the BP team modellers didn't make. A real community collaboration if you will!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:13:02 am by Darius »

Offline majorvader111

• Twitter
I'll put up a video if I capture some neat footage!

Few urgent issues I've noticed while playing

Karuna Mk2 is scaled up from what it should be - it should be the same dimensions as Karuna
Solaris pricing - 0 mineral/common and 3000 crystal/rare instead of 3000 common
Which are the bombardment ships for the UEF?

Base gameplay is quite a lot of fun though!

EDIT: I think the various modellers and other community contributers deserve most of the accolade for making this possible. There's lots of custom ships and stations in there that the BP team modellers didn't make. A real community collaboration if you will!

Yeah the karuna mk2 i need to downscale, ships prices im working on now, the first capital you ever build will be free, the bombard ship is the colony frigate, it has a invade ability that basically invades the planet and colonizes it when it wipes out

Yeah it is really a big community collaboration, So BIG Pat on the Back Hard-light Community

Offline majorvader111

• Twitter
Just as a heads up i have changed the hosting site from bitbucket.org to gitlab.com as i was running out of space on bitbucket the new link is https://gitlab.com/MajorVader111/freespace-sins-of-a-blueplanet

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Wish to join the others in saying nice on this release; appreciate you had some hurdles to fight through like Hard Disks failing and game engine restrictions (recall something about a weapon types limit?). Had a chance for a quick whirl and even at alpha stage it's a pretty fun experience. Hats off to the community too for the models as you say, and looking forward to seeing how this grows.

May I ask about how the resources work btw? I seemed to be gathering some (and found what seemed like the trade stations with the trade ship mechanics?) so resources seemed not an issue but couldn't quite work out where they were coming from :o.

(and officially hate GTA AWACS now, btw... :lol:).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:11:00 am by T-Man »
CAUTION: Rabid Imagination!

self-confessed UEF fanboy.

Offline Darius

As far as I can tell resources are either planet-mined with the Mining HQ Arcadia in orbit of every colony planet or from neutral asteroid mining platforms that are captured.
Personnel acquisition is enhanced with Arcadia installations and material acquisition is enhanced with Type 3 refineries.

I have to say on initial playthroughs the GTVA really do feel good to play. For an alpha mod there really is a lot of unique gameplay in there. I think that's the marker of a successful game or mod - stuff like balance and meta strategy come later as familiarity with the mechanics improves but if it feels good to play then it's a game I'm going to keep playing.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
God damn that's hot

Offline Darius

A small preview of my attempt to unify the Federation fleet appearance. Also supporting team colours.