Author Topic: Unable to start FreeSpaceOpen on cpu-internal graphics  (Read 1208 times)

Unable to start FreeSpaceOpen on cpu-internal graphics
Since I didn't see a dedicated help forum here, I post it just in here. I've got a problem installing FreeSpaceOpen. After installing all the stuff including wxLauncher an OpenAL. The game crashes while starting showing me this error message. I don't know, what to do now. Since my dedicated graphics card is broken I rely on the cpu-internal graphics of my old notebook. Might this be the reason.

Somebody was mentioning that it'd be neccessary to get it run with DirectX instead of OpenGL. Is there any tutorial on that somewhere?

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Re: Unable to start FreeSpaceOpen on cpu-internal graphics
1.1?
What is your internal GPU?

I'm not entirely sure about what version of internal gpu the notebook uses. It is from the year 2010. Windows is saying "Intel HD Graphics" and nothing else. GPU-Z is saying "Arrandale" what should also be the cpu's codename.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Unfortunately there is no way to run FSO on that old GPU. Only retail exe may work.
As for DirectX. It was removed 10 years ago, more less.

That's Iron Lake, it only supports OpenGL version 2 or lower.  A dedicated GPU from that era might support OGL 3.2 but an integrated one definitely won't, 8-9 years is just too old.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Well, let's hope I'll get a new PC soon. Thank you for your analysis.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Well, let's hope I'll get a new PC soon. Thank you for your analysis.

Retail should definitely work if I remember right, and you can also use a Glide Wrapper such as nGlide.  (side note: it's now at version 2.0, guess I should update!)

nGlide is useful for older games that used 3dfx Voodoo hardware (usually late 90's, maybe early 2000's games0. 

Not sure which will be better quality-wise, Glide or DirectX.  Back then DirectX was pretty basic, so Glide may actually end up being better.